Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer reboots when installing Vmware Workstation on a PC with sptd.sys installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please re-check with next version (when released) and report if it helps then.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

VMware, NVidia Video Drivers, and DT4.0

I have also had rebooting problems. Although I am not sure that it is related to DT at all. Before installing the video drivers (NVidia v81.95), I had DT4.0 and also VMware 5.5 installed and working without any problems. All of my problems started when I installed the NVidia video drivers. I experienced continuous and looping reboots, a corrupt registry, etc. I then re-installed the entire XP SP2 OS and put on the video drivers and also DT4.0 without any problems. It seems to be an incompatibility between VMware 5.x (5.5 verified) and the NVidia 81.95 drivers. Has anyone else experienced this?

My configuration is below:

AMD X2 4200+ dual core
      Asus A8N-SLI Premium
      Corsair 2GB PC3200 memory
      eVGA 7800GTX video card

Comment

yea mate...
        i have 2 raid arrays, both in RAID-0....
        c: is 2x200gb sata seagate barracudas...
        d: is 2x160gb sata seagate barracudas...
        i have a pioneer dvr-110 and a liteon sohw-1693s on the only ide channel on my mainboard. (Pio=Master, Litey=Slave)
        Mainboard is a gigabyte GA-8AENXP-D (Intel 925XE Chipset)
        2GB Corsair Twin2X DDR2
        A Geforce 7800GTX using Forceware 81.85 Drivers...
        Erm... SB Audigy 2 Platinum Pro....
        Network cards are both onboard:
        Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit (Disabled)
        Marvell Yukon 88E8001
        Using Windows XP Pro SP2 (Fully updated)
        VMWare Workstation v5.5.0 build 18463
        The RAID Controller I'm using for my RAID arrays is an onboard Silicon Image 3114 Sata RAID chipset

I think that's about all the info you should need for a bit....
        SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

I've experienced a similar problem in a different situation:
          I'm using Windows XP Pro 32bit SP1 on an ASUS P4P800 mobo (intel 865pe chipset), not using the raid option of the mobo (1 IDE HD and 1 SATA HD), and daemon tools 4.00.

After Installing SP2 (which worked a few months ago, before I formatted) and restarting the comp - it won't start windows, and safe mofe only goes when I do the "press Esc to disable loading sptd.sys"

in the download page ( http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/down...tegory&catid=5 ) I see only DT4.00... I saw u spoke of a v4.03... where and how can I get it?

Comment

Daemon Tools v4.03 is expected to be released very soon. Please try again then, and report back whether it solves your problem.
            Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

It helped - after installing dt 4.03 I installed SP2 and it works fine
              Thanks!

Comment

I've been doing a lot of reading on the VMWare discussion forums and it sounds like having a dual-core processor with a nforce chipset seems to result in the BSOD while installing.

https://www.vmware.com/community/thr...ssageID=323425

I have this configuration and have had the issue explained at the beginning of this post (a few days after Christmas). I'm glad to hear that v4.03 doesn't fight with VMWare anymore! I am going to try this out and see what happens; hopefully I'll have the same luck as roitaga.

Comment

Originally Posted by roitaga
                  It helped - after installing dt 4.03 I installed SP2 and it works fine
                  Thanks!
                  I've installed VMWare 5.5.1 with daemon tools v4.03 and it works great!

I'd been having the same issue as described in this post. I've read that people using dual-core processors with nforce chipsets were specifically the ones (I fall in this category). VMWare and windows would crash just as it was installing the VMnet8 device (or maybe just thereafter). I reformatted, but the problem kept coming back; I would have been waiting for an update had I not seen this thread.

Oh well, works now!
                  Last edited by Daedalus01; 09.01.2006, 07:42.

Comment

Alright, I have DAEMON Tools 4.0.3 X64 installed, along with VMWare 5.5, and I managed to get both of the programs to install correctly. However, I could not boot up my guest machine in VMWare, so I decided to reboot, and that is when the fun began....
                    I have an AMD 4200+ dual core processor, with 1 SATA hard drive, running Windows XP x64 Professional. When I try to boot up my computer normally, I get the BSOD. When I try to reboot in safe mode, I get the BSOD. When I try to reboot in safe mode and hit escape on loading sptd.sys I get the BSOD. I have used the windows recovery console to get rid of sptd.sys, then sptdxxxx.sys, dtscsi.sys, and even the vmware .sys files, and I still cannot even boot in safe mode (you guessed it, BSOD). The BSOD I am getting now on is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I really have no idea what to do besides trying to find more conflicting drivers and get rid of them. I just want to be able to boot in at least safe mode

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

That seems like a really tough nut to crack. Do you have a lot of software installed or have you recently installed the OS? Have you tried the latest Vmware Workstation (5.5.1-19175)?

One thing is for sure: This is not the sptd.sys-problem as originally described in this thread. I don't really get the feeling that it's Daemon Tools related at all. But please, answer the questions above, and we will know a bit more.

If your problem is Vmware related, it's a fair possibility that other Vmware users have experienced the same thing. Check out Vmware's community discussion forum at http://www.vmware.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=19.
                      Last edited by mastermind; 21.02.2006, 08:52.

Comment

It is a brand new computer, just got it a couple weeks ago and there isn't much software on it. The version of Vmware Workstation I installed was 5.5.1-19175. I have been checking out the vmware forums as well, and this seems like the closest thing to my problem (it started with getting the BSOD at the end of the vmware install, then I disabled the sptd.sys and the install worked fine, then I re-installed daemon-tools 4.0.3 afterwards).

Comment

Originally Posted by TuRDMaN
                          It is a brand new computer, just got it a couple weeks ago and there isn't much software on it. The version of Vmware Workstation I installed was 5.5.1-19175. I have been checking out the vmware forums as well, and this seems like the closest thing to my problem (it started with getting the BSOD at the end of the vmware install, then I disabled the sptd.sys and the install worked fine, then I re-installed daemon-tools 4.0.3 afterwards).
                          Did you install v4.03 after the crash (thus sptd.sys during VMware installation was the obsolete version of v4.00?)?
                          Do you have the minidump related to that crash? Please send it to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread.

Comment

Yeah, after the crash during installation, I checked out some forums and removed both programs, and got rid of the sptd.sys file and started over again. And I have no way of getting the minidump.... unless I can somehow transfer it to a disk or something using the windows recovery console on the windows install cd.

Comment

? If Windows boots you can get the minidump quite easy?

Comment

Originally Posted by TuRDMaN
                                (it started with getting the BSOD at the end of the vmware install, then I disabled the sptd.sys and the install worked fine, then I re-installed daemon-tools 4.0.3 afterwards).
                                Ok, that changes things. Maybe something went wrong during the upgrade to 4.0.3. Obviously something goes wrong (an exception is thrown) in a boot service (driver) when you start Windows. But if the problem persists when you disable sptd.sys, it seems to be another driver causing the error.

Hitting F8 -> "Last Known Good Configuration" doesn't help?

I'm sorry that I don't have any good advice for you. Good luck, though. If nothing else helps, at least you don't have much software to reinstall :wink:

Comment

Working...
                                X