Usb Drives No Detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by lucky644
    Holy crap thank you so much for posting that information.

I actually found 3 files relating to the problem;

secdrv.sys
    sptd.sys
    sptd7021.sys

All were created on the same date. I deleted them, rebooted, and VOILA!
    Wonderfull! I've had this problem for sometime now. Both my MP3 player and digital camera stopped showing up in the explorer. But thanks to both of you they now works perfect.

But the files I found were in c:\windows\system32\drivers.
    I didn't find sptd7021.sys, instead I found sptd3677.sys

I seem to remember installing DT some time ago but I never used it so i removed it. Guess these files were left behind.

Comment

The plot thickens - Drive letter problems

Hi all,

I am in the same boat.

I run an internet cafe and we use DT4.03.

The USB drive not showing up issue is, in some forums, attributed to network drive mapping conflicts. However - I did a brand new XP Pro SP2 install this weekend in order to fix this, with no network drive mappings or anything fancy, and the same issue has arisen.

I uninstalled DT4.03.
      All the stpd and secdrv files previously mentioned have been removed, and now I have the issue of NOTHING being assigned a drive letter apart from the C:\ and a DVD drive on D:\

It's like the Disk Management is locked - manual assignments do not work.

I re-installed DT4.03.

Drives detected in Device Manager - no drive letters being allowed.

Same with USB flash drive (which works fine on other XP machines both at home and in office).

So in summary.

USB flash drive detected but not assigned a drive letter.
      Auto assignment refused.
      Manual assignment refused.

New install of Daemon Tools (creating 1 virtual drive by default) installs ok, detected virtual drive ok.
      Drive assignment refused.
      Manual assignment refused - from XP Disk Management as well as from the DT 'set parameters' section.

There are no mapped network drives and there never have been.

It seems that there are many users out there on the forums of the world with a similar, if not identical problem.

Many have arrived at the conclusion that it's just a windows bug and we
      have to live with it or re-install.

As for re-install, I have a custom XP disc (nlite) which oddly will not give me that facility (even though I kept the option to have it in my iso as per the installation app). So this currently is not an option for me (after spending all weekend doing a BIG install).

If I can get an answer to this, then I will be visiting many forums to spread the good news.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks, Dan.

Comment

Yeah I have the same problem.. my DVD-R/DVD drives say the drivers aren't loaded but they are, and uninstalling d-tools and those aforementioned files left behind don't resolve it. I'm in a panic here because I need at least one drive for stuff from work!

Comment

XP hard freeze

Hi all.

I get a hard freeze (requires reset restart) whenever i plug an USB memory stick into my WinXP Pro PC.

Everything worked well until I set up virtual drives to 2 and mounted the second virtual drive. Before I had one virtual drive and it didn't matter if it was mounted or not.
          I have tried so set virtual drives to 1 and 0 unmounted and mounted in several combinations. I have not tried to uninstall DT yet.

One strange thing is that my Ubuntu Linux system installed on the same PC - or other LiveCD distros for that matter - now can't find my USB sticks either. This was also working just fine until I set virtual drives to 2 in DT/Windows!?

Can it be a hardware/BIOS related problem?
          I have no clue at the moment, but I will continue my struggle and post any solution here.
          I'm no hardware hacker and will salute any ideas that can be of help.

My USB sticks work fine on other computers.

/Nicklas, Malmö, Sweden

Comment

I work at a gaming center aswell, and we have been running daemon for years with no problem but we have recently installed the new version of daemon tools on our internet computers and now none of our removable USB Hard drives/ flash drives will get mounted (ie. get a letter assignment) as per other peoples post. Just wondering has their been a fix for this problem yet other than to uninstall daemon tools and the other related files?

Comment

Hi, I've got the same problem. I've uninstalled DT4. I've deleted sptd, sptd9409 and secdrv files from windows/system32/drivers. I've removed all registry entries relating to dtsci and sptd (as advised on another forum) but my flash drives or mp3 player still don't appear in my computer. A usb drive will appear in device manager assigned with the correct letter (k: in my case). I can populate it and the correct size is displayed. But it still wont appear in my computer or explorer. I dual boot Windows XP Pro sp2 and Windows Me. Everything is fine in Me presumably because I never installed DT on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. RIZ

Comment

Press STart-> Run and enter 'diskmgmt.msc' (without '').
                Search for your flash (usb) drive.
                Does it have a letter? Try changing the letter.
                Right click on it and press open. Can you access the drive now (with the open suggestion)?
                Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Originally Posted by AnalCobra
                  Press STart-> Run and enter 'diskmgmt.msc' (without '').
                  Search for your flash (usb) drive.
                  Does it have a letter? Try changing the letter.
                  Right click on it and press open. Can you access the drive now (with the open suggestion)?
                  Yes I can change the letter (still not visible in my computer)

Yes I can open it and get to my files

Wow! I can even drag and drop to/from it

Many thanks for your help,but I do still remain curious as to why this problem occurs and why I can't return to having removable drives visible in My Computer.

At least I can actually use them again without having to resort to Me (I don't know why I keep it really..........nostalgia??)

Thanks again. Steve

Comment

I sometimes have the same problem with my psp, but a usb flash drive and external usb hdd is working perfectly.
                    Did you install any StarForce protected game?
                    Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

I did find Starforce entries on my system about 3 months ago (I dont know which game they came from),but I used the Starforce Removal Tool to get rid of them.

Comment

Me Too

My 40G USB works reliably on all computers on which I've ever tried it (30 at least), but I've found one on which it don't work.

On all other systems Device Manager reports drive as a SAMSUNG MPO0402H USB Drive.

On the computer in question it's not detected by XP (SP2 and up date). I've tried all of the USB ports (9 thereof), other "permanently" attached USB devices on the system are a scanner and a wireless network "adapter".

I can use a Kingston Flash Memory stick on the system, it gets allocated to drive H: (the system has two hard drives - C: & D:, a CD burner E: and a DVD Burner F. I would have thought it would get allocated to Drive G:

Finally, the 40G drive has been used on this computer many times before.

This computer had DaemonTools installed, it was removed a few weeks ago as it was no longer required.

I've deleted the various drivers mentioned previously and removed related registry entries. The system still refuses to see the drive, but it is OK with flash drives.

I refomatted the 40G drive and changed it's name to no avail.

Rgds PhilD

Comment

OK i have done literally EVERYTHING from uninstalling DT and deleting all those effed files and even trying to dl soemthing to clean out those files but nothing works.
                          ok for me the usb does not show up on computer BUT it does show up in the device manager as Samdisk something something.
                          however i cannot change the Drive letter for it because in the driver management, it does not read it == so anyone out there can u please help me

Comment

Am having problems with my usb drive

My problem is that when i connect my USB it doesnt appear in my computer.....when i plug it in it tell its working properly and can now be use but it doesnt show up in my computer.
                            BUT it does show up in the device manager as USB Human interface device.
                            however i cannot change the Drive letter for it because in the driver management, it does not read it == so anyone out there can u please help me

Comment

Working...
                            X