Suggestion: LOSE THE ADWARE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: LOSE THE ADWARE

In a time of total hostility towards adware by every legit security company, government and normal person alive, I have at a loss for words why you have integrated WhenU into D-Tools. What utter crap.

save.exe is listed on EVERY security website as spyware. And I just sat her and watched save.exe take up 80MB of my RAM for over 5 minutes while it gathered information about my computer, my web history and God knows what else.

I've decided to dump D-Tools altogether, wouldn't even register it if it was an option. I'm going with another virtual CD solution, from a company that doesn't even tread into adware waters.

Good bye!

cya
    Ill hang around and enjoy d-tools....
    See, ive mastered that (apparently) unmasterable art of unchecking the checkbox on EVERY program that gives you options to install extra unwanted software....

Possily you should begin to learn this fine art....

Let me point you in the right direction mr crankypants....
    Some reading material in aid of the mastery of this fine art....
    THE ART OF WAR-ning about unwanted installations (tsUN-DO: Date Unknown)

enjoi ur foray into other lesser virtual drives
    SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

So, have you also uninstalled all versions of Adobe acrobat reader from all your computers? Last time I d/led that it came with yahoo toolbar which is a form of spyware.

At least d-tools is upfront about the existance of the searchbar in their product, its on the front web page, its in the forums, and its optional to install. Its not hidden in EULA somewhere so no one finds it.

Comment

I dunno why your complaining, just uncheck the box that says searchbar during installation and you get the same thing as the customers. and btw, there is an option to register.

Comment

man even nero 7 have yahoo toolbar in it :P
          BadIronTree The Frag Master
          http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/541/makedoniank1.gif

Comment

@Indyhouse
            Most of your statements have already been debunked by the others, but I feel there's one more statement you made that needs correcting.

you have integrated WhenU into D-Tools
            This is incorrect. The installer was added to the DT installer, but neither the Search Bar or SaveNow is "integrated" into DT. This is why you can opt out of the adware or uninstall it later and it will not break Daemon Tools, because they are not an integral part of the program.

Comment

In most cases, people who complain about spyware/adware are the ones that always click 'OK' and 'Next' without reading anything.
              It is called PEBKAC
              Last edited by Reef; 30.12.2005, 15:42.

Comment

There is also the option to register the software to help support it's developement, you can then download the ad-ware free version.

But as has been said before, it's damn simple to unchecked the box so the searchbar isn't installed

Comment

Well I think he's received a good beating now, so I won't state the obvious.

But about the "other" program, Alcohol 120% is the only other viable option. So even though I do not know what you bought/downloaded, I know you either acquired:

1. Crap

or

2. Something that costs so much it makes you crap

Don't be stupid. :wink:

Comment

It's always a surprise to me that users,who know how to mount images,can't seem to learn how to uncheck a simple checkbox....

Comment

That, bernaar, is because it's not obvious during installation that it's OK to do so. I guess it's OK to blame everything on the stupidity of end-users if you happen to be living in a Dilbert cartoon, but any semi-sentient developer who gets an entire board-topic filled up with users complaining about this utterly retarded adware that is being distributed with an otherwise great product, would ask themselves whether perhaps the usability of the installation UI and distribution notes could be improved.

D-Tools has saved me countless thousands of $ and I'd be more than happy to pay for it - especially if it means avoiding even the slightest risk of accidently installing this crap-malware by missing a click during installation. So I'm checking whether that's an option. On the downloads page - nope, premium version isn't even mentioned. OK, how about the "Register DAEMON Tools" link? Nope, no mention there either. Moving right along to the Share-It. Nope, no mention there either. Well that's just dandy.

I promise I'll buy a copy once you guys clearly state that it contains no adware next to the Quickbuy button on Share-It, but until then I'll just stick with v3.

Comment

Originally Posted by uberfarzan
                        That, bernaar, is because it's not obvious during installation that it's OK to do so.
                        WTF, you assume the developers would put a checkbox in the installer that made the app not install/not work?? Are you retarded? Do you think they're LOOKING for more work to do?

They put a checkbox there so that you could CHOOSE NOT TO INSTALL THE ADWARE... So you INSTALLED IT, then CAME HERE to WHINE??????

Comment

Originally Posted by DarthTyranus
                          So, have you also uninstalled all versions of Adobe acrobat reader from all your computers? Last time I d/led that it came with yahoo toolbar which is a form of spyware.
                          I know this is totally unrelated, but last time I knew yahoo toolbar, does'nt have spyware/Adware, but instead comes with an Anti-Spyware App. I think you saying yahoo toolbar has spyware is incorrect, I've installed yahoo toolbar, and have three different Anti-spyware programs which include, Microsoft Anti-spyware, Defender Pro AntiSpyware, and adaware Se, all up to date, and none of those tags The yahoo toolbar as Spyware, infact yahoo toolbar has helped me catch some spyware, that my othe anti-spyware apps were previously unable to pick up on.

Anyways, just a note to whoever is complaining, Daemon Tools is Free , So Stop complaining, it is as simple as unchecking the checkbox for the searchbar, to not install it, unless you are mentally handicapped(Sorry no offense), and can't understand or read how to uncheck the checkbox, to not install the searchbar.

Btw good luck with other virtual drive programs, just to let you know daemon-tools is lightyears ahead of them, and will probably be incorporating a virtual IDE drive into the customer version of Daemon tools which will make, Almost all(If not all) copy protected images, usable, whether they have starforce or not. Just a little heads up:wink:
                          Xtemulation - Emulation News and Downloads
                          Xtemulation Forums - Emulation Support

Comment

Working...
                          X