APE support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APE support!

It would be wonderful if DT would mount an APE file. APE is the file extension for Monkey's Audio which is one of the best lossless audio compression schemes around. Monkey's Audio can be found here... http://www.monkeysaudio.com. Normally APE files are one big 200-300mb file. So it would be great if you could load it up in Daemon Tools and have it display just like a regular audio cd.

- km

There are no practical reasons for doing so; instead of playing the disc as CD Audio, create a cue file for it and play it with WinAmp 2.x + mp3cue.

mp3cue is a plug-in that will show an additional playlist with the contents of a cue file, so you'll be able so select tracks from within the file, ...

Comment

I'm aware of the .cue file and plugin and use them extensively. There is a practical reason for me requesting this. If Daemon Tools was able to mount a .ape file, then you could rip the audio to other formats, mp3/mpc/ogg etc. without first having to decompress the .ape to a .wav file. So it would be great to simply be able to use the .ape file with DT. Plus there are other programs that use audio besides Winamp.

- km

Comment

hmm doesn't seem like anyone wants this feature apart from myself. it would have very easy to implement and would have added to the legend of DT. oh well, I'll keep hoping this does happen.

- km

Comment

The problem is that we wonґt implement image formats without permission, moreover the whole mp3-stuff is not free, we would have to pay license fee for the mp3-usage - so donґt count on it :?
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

APE is free to implement without any licensing hassles. Have a read of http://www.monkeysaudio.com/developers.html. APE doesn't have anything to do with MP3 as it's its own format and doesn't rely on anything else. Personally I would think it would be a great addition to DT.

- km

Comment

May be the developer will have a closer look if he has some time - atm thereґre more important things to do.
              Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
              They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Me too!

I would like to have this feature as well.

I've also done a preliminary check and the MA SDK does allow for
                random seek inside an APE file, and that should be equivalent to an
                uncompressed PCM 16 bit 44.1KHz WAV file....

I'd be really happy to see this feature as well....

Comment

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

Comment

wow! thank you!
                    Thaks for considering this...

Comment

I looked - i will need many weeks to rewrite this source. It is written in C++ and designed to work with Win32 API, absolutely unacceptable.
                      The only acceptable way is to use pure C code (no classes!) which uses some external API for file I/O and can be compiled with DDK.
                      Current version of Daemon driver is compiled with Win2000 DDK.
                      Maybe i wil try to make soem interface in the future so that will make it possible at least in external module.

Comment

thanks VeNoM386. if you do get a chance to re-write the code, many people including myself will be very happy and thankfull you added this feature.

- km

Comment

I think it might be better to create a common interface to allow custom image formats. This way it would be easy to add future formats and would allow many ppl to work on including formats.

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
                            I think it might be better to create a common interface to allow custom image formats. This way it would be easy to add future formats and would allow many ppl to work on including formats.
                            I "totally" agree with this. It make it much easier for ppl to work on unsupported formats. Of course, if they choose to implement an illegal format, they'll have to take the blame?

Comment

Such interface is already implemented in current beta. But support for images with compression is different story - it is planned later.

Comment

Working...
                              X