No announcement yet.

APE support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it would be great if you could load it up in Daemon Tools and have it display just like a regular audio cd.
    Yes, APE is a very interesting format. But the question is if it is really useful to mount them as a normal audio cd.
    This would only be intersting if you want to rip single files out of the APE or to playback them.

If this is what you want to do check out Foobar2000!

It's a freeware Audio player that is able to open MP3, Ogg,... , and CUE-sheets!
    So F2k can oben your CUE-APE playback the tracks or extract some of them. Plugins for APE, Ogg, MP3... compression are avaible.

Regards
    TKS

Comment

Originally Posted by TKS
      Yes, APE is a very interesting format. But the question is if it is really useful to mount them as a normal audio cd.
      This would only be intersting if you want to rip single files out of the APE or to playback them.
      Actually I am interestead in this feature too, as I have a lot of ape files on computer and I don't like the ideea to install another player just for them. At the moment I use only winamp3 as player, with a plugin for ape files. The problem is that I cannot find a cue plugin too for it (are some available but only for winamp 2.x);

so the files are seen in winamp just as one track, not having the posibility to choose a specific existent track from inside.

I see that the messages are quite old, is any new progress in the development of ape files support in daemon-tools? Is one of my favorit software! Thanks!

Comment

This idea sounds interesting to me too. However, I don't use APE for several reasons, among which the long decoding time (which means no on-the-fly burning of APEs) ranks highest. I chose FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). It's asymmetric (longer encoding time but much shorter decoding time);

free, open-source, did I mention fast?...

After having read VeNoM386's words I should possibly also add that there's a FLAC C API which should make implementation easier.

Being able to mount those files (maybe even with an EAC CUE sheet - see below) would greatly simplify converting to other codecs (e.g. MP3 for a portable MP3 player). It would also make burning easier - EAC doesn't support on-the-fly burning of FLAC files (e.g. if you want to listen to the album on your car audio - nobody would (ab)use original CDs in his car, right?).

So, if Daemon-Tools supported EAC CUE sheets and FLAC(/APE);

it would be very useful for High-Quality Audio Archiving freaks (like me) as well. (Yeah, I'm already using it but sshhh... )

Example EAC CUE sheet: Apocalyptica - Reflections (cropped)

Code:
        PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
        TITLE "Reflections"
        FILE "01 - Prologue (Apprehension).wav" WAVE
          TRACK 01 AUDIO
            TITLE "Prologue (Apprehension)"
            PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
            INDEX 01 00:00:00
        FILE "02 - No Education.wav" WAVE
          TRACK 02 AUDIO
            TITLE "No Education"
            PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
          TRACK 03 AUDIO
            TITLE "Faraway"
            PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
            INDEX 00 03:16:57
        FILE "03 - Faraway.wav" WAVE
        FILE "04 - Somewhere Around Nothing.wav" WAVE
          TRACK 04 AUDIO
            TITLE "Somewhere Around Nothing"
            PERFORMER "Apocalyptica"
        etc...
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

APE image mounting would be nice

Hello,

I'm fairly new here but are intreged by the cool daemon tool you made, so thanx for that anyway.
          Lately I'm finding more and more music files/cd's compressed into ape images and me no like this...
          The only (easy) way to get them on my pc as something I can listen to is by burning them on a cd useng a sort of plug-in I stumbled upon excidently..

So my whish is to have Daemon support ape...

(pretty please? :roll: )

Kind regards Jeronimus

Comment

Not to ignore your suggestion ... did you see the link to foobar2000.org ?
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
              Being able to mount those files (maybe even with an EAC CUE sheet - see below) would greatly simplify converting to other codecs (e.g. MP3 for a portable MP3 player). It would also make burning easier - EAC doesn't support on-the-fly burning of FLAC files (e.g. if you want to listen to the album on your car audio - nobody would (ab)use original CDs in his car, right?).[/code]
              like someone already said, foobar can do this (open cue+ape/convert/burn).

-andy-

Comment

Is APE actually a CD-image format? If not, wouldn't this make DTools more bloated?
                To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Nope, it's an audio format that, combined with a cue file, allows you to burn it like an image. Much like cue/wav and cue/mp3.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
                    Nope, it's an audio format that, combined with a cue file, allows you to burn it like an image. Much like cue/wav and cue/mp3.
                    Looks like "cue/anythingyoucanimagine" to me.
                    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

This makes perfect sense, also supporting of non-standard CUE sheets as created by EAC: Re-ripping of dozens and hundreds of CDs is much faster. These re-rips may be necessary when you switch from one application to another that doesn't understand the former ripping "format" (i.e. non-standard cue + append gaps to multiple tracks -> single image wave + standard cue).

If DT would understand non-compliant CUE sheets and has the ability to support multiple audio formats either built-in or through third party plugins, then it would surely be the only virtual CD software to do this. Which would be great for DT (and those who are desperately waiting for such a thing).
                      Last edited by Red Dwarf; 02.11.2005, 12:21.

Comment

Regarding the use of .ape images

I too have been looking for ape support with Daemon. In fact, it was the first thing I looked for, after creating my first .ape image file. It is true that there is some limited support in WinAmp for example and that it is possible to burn through Nero with a third party plugin but it is not as easy as one would hope and one is stuck with particular programs. I think that lossless audio format is the future and this will be gradually more appearant as people get more serious about having their PC:s do everything. We already have the cheap hard drive space. The sound is distinctly better. It would certainly give Daemon Tools an extra edge! I would certanly be prepared to pay for it.

Comment

I would like to see DT support .APE file as well.

Currently I'm doing .ape -->.nrg use nero with a ape plugin, then mount .nrg image with DT.

Thank you for the good work.

John

Comment

Originally Posted by scanboy
                            Currently I'm doing .ape -->.nrg use nero with a ape plugin, then mount .nrg image with DT.
                            why would you do something like that? why not just listen to/convert/burn the .ape file directly??

-andy-

Comment

"why would you do something like that? why not just listen to/convert/burn the .ape file directly??"

Because then it'd quite tedious to rip individual tracks off an audio cd. Many ppl don't have time to edit and single out 20+ tracks with cooledit pro

Comment

Originally Posted by AndyMutz
                                why would you do something like that? why not just listen to/convert/burn the .ape file directly??

-andy-
                                One example would be checking DTS volumes.
                                I use powerdvd for listening to 5.1 DTS audio CD-s.
                                If I just throw the .ape file at it, it wont recognise it, of course.
                                I need to mount it as a volume, in order to get powerdvd working with it.

Getting a dvd-audio/DTS player software that recognises all the formats DT does _PLUS_ .ape would be another solution...

Comment

Working...
                                X