"Failed to open config key" when installing 4.0.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi
    i tried all as poloce, but the diference is that my computer is a 64bit processor and a real raid 0 i used the DT 4.03 x64, maybe the drive of raid 0 is causing problem?
    thanks

Comment

3. I've run SPTDinst remove
      4. I've run SPTDinst add

Can someone explain these 2 steps after boot in safe mode?

Comment

cavas, Did you run the SPTDinst program? What happened when you did it?
        If you didn't know how to run it-- it can be run from the command line. "sptdinst_x86 remove" or "sptdinst_x86 add"
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

i finally got this to work after 5 hours of trying and pulling my hair out!
          The only thing i did wrong was that is when i tried to run SPTDinst_X86 i didnt include the path, i wrote SPTDinst_X86 add when i really should write c:\SPTDinst_X86 add...
          It works now
          I think someone should write a very detailed tutorial on how to do this correctly. Because i couldnt find one :/

I could do this tho..
          The only thing i need is someone who can translate it from swedish to english cus my english sucks. Or maybe i could do it in english and then have someone to correct my grammar.

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
            The key has correct permissions. I recommend not changing them.
            Hmm i must second Itom's post, that key obviously hasn't got the right permissions.
            Even being logged as an administrator one cannot either display it or change its access permissions (trying to change the parent key permissions and set them to propagate to children keys doesn't even work).
            The problem surely relies here, the SPTD setup creates that damn key with corrupted/invalid permissions, which leads to a non possible setup as it tries to change it.

I did try to upgrade my DT 3.47 to 4.03 and it failed with that "Failed to oped config key" error and now i'm stuck.

The "SPTD drivers remove into safe mode" trick cannot be used, as it doesn't even sees itself as being installed (I get that stupid "SPTD is currently not installed" message).

I cannot install it, i cannot remove it.

Well done, pals !

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
              cavas, Did you run the SPTDinst program? What happened when you did it?
              If you didn't know how to run it-- it can be run from the command line. "sptdinst_x86 remove" or "sptdinst_x86 add"

when i opened it it showed this

then i press OK and nothing happens

Comment

cavas, that is because you are not running it from the command line. Start run, cmd.exe
                the modern world:
                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Okay, can you please tell me what to do next?

Comment

Originally Posted by Folken
                    Hmm i must second Itom's post, that key obviously hasn't got the right permissions.
                    Even being logged as an administrator one cannot either display it or change its access permissions (trying to change the parent key permissions and set them to propagate to children keys doesn't even work).
                    The problem surely relies here, the SPTD setup creates that damn key with corrupted/invalid permissions, which leads to a non possible setup as it tries to change it.

I did try to upgrade my DT 3.47 to 4.03 and it failed with that "Failed to oped config key" error and now i'm stuck.

The "SPTD drivers remove into safe mode" trick cannot be used, as it doesn't even sees itself as being installed (I get that stupid "SPTD is currently not installed" message).

I cannot install it, i cannot remove it.

Well done, pals !
                    i am having the same problems, all the above solutions does not work. i'm at my wits end..

Comment

ah well what I did was
                      i booted up in safe mode, i opened the file ''sptdinst_x86.exe'' with cmd.exe and it gave the same error

well since that didnt work i went to run>cmd then hitted enter
                      i typed sptdinst_x86 remove or sptdinst x86 remove, i tried these two, it was unknown command

UHM is there anyonehere that has Msn and allows me to add him for help?? ( i have real vnc so if that would be easier ill let you use that)
                      Last edited by cavas; 20.02.2006, 10:57.

Comment

What you have to do is go into start>run, then type in cmd.exe

and for the sake of simpleness move the sptdinst_x86.exe to your C: root, in other words go to my computer, then C: and then put it directly in there.

now while in command promt(cmd.exe) type "cd.." without quotations until all you see is C:\ where you can type things.

Now assumeing you have moved the spdtinst_x86.exe to the C: root directory, type in "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without quotations, and it should do the trick for you. Hope this helps.

-Sage

Comment

Originally Posted by itom
                          Maybe you could try this:
                          When testing Daemon Tools with Vista (it doesn't work), I discovered that a key created by sptdinst has incorrect permissions, I don't know if it is related, just give a try and give your feedback.

The key is the following:
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd\Cfg

To apply correct permissions on it, you should:
                          1. run regedit
                          2. goto the key
                          3. right mouse button -> permissions on th Cfg key
                          4. "advanced" button
                          5. I've got only one permission entry for administrator. Delete it
                          6. Check inherit from parent ... and replace permissions entries on all child objects ...

and apply.

HTH,
                          Could somebody please put this key up for download? I can't open/modify mine at all; says "Cannot open cfg: Error opening key". I know once I fix this single key, I'll be able to do the safeboot/cmd SPTDinst thing.

Comment

PaulAnthony, the key has correct permissions. I recommend not changing them or importing someone else's .reg file export.
                            the modern world:
                            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Help!!!

when i got the game Starwars: empire at war
                              it didn't work because of starforce.
                              my friend got it up and running after a while and he told me to get the newest DT (DT4 i think...)
                              when i was downloading it i thought i should uninstall the old DT. but when i did i got my first bluescreen EVER! (in win xp i meen).
                              i have an original XP home with all updates.
                              when i started the comp again DT was still there but i couldn't use it. i tried to install/upgrade to DT4 but i got bluescreen again.
                              so i installed the old DT 3.20.
                              then i upgraded to DT4 nad when the installation was complete it wanted to reboot the comp, so i did.
                              when the comp started again the installation got an error (i can't remember the error...sorry) and the installation aborted.
                              i think DT is gone from my comp, but i can't install the new DT4...
                              i get the question if i want to install SPTD and i click ok, and i get an error "Failed to open config key"
                              and i get the same error when trying to install the SPTD file...

i have:
                              alcohol 120%
                              winoncd
                              clone DVD
                              MCAFFE virusscan and firewall
                              alot of games :P (newest games: SW:empire at war, sniper elite, GUN...
                              and of course a lot of other programs (but they have worked fine).

PLEASE help, i can't go on without DAEMON-tools!!!!

Comment

Pixodus, you can try running the sptdinst_x86.exe program while in windows safe mode. People have written about success doing that earlier in this thread.
                                the modern world:
                                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                                X