Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got many CD disks that got only 100mb of data and yet are full 700mb ISO images (can't be edited for a reason). So I cound have 6 images on single CD instead of 6 CDs :^/

The new DT version is announced, with plugin system.. So "a compression" plugin that people were talking of here is possible. But is it there already?

Please give a hint / PM! I have 10 such disks to backup, so I can wait for new version if it's there

Comment

Compressed/encrypted image support is not available until DAEMON Tools version 4.0, but try running your 700MB images through zip,rar,ace, or 7z and you might find that you cannot compress them very much. If it did work to squeeze them to 100MB that would be really cool.
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Yep, such ISO files are compressible at least to size of data they got. That's why I'm asking.
        And yes, I was talking about 4.0 version with plugins system. I did wonder if a compression plugin already exist (there were talks and devs vs ppl contacts I guess). Did you mean it will be available in DT4?

Comment

I find that using NTFS compression helps quite a bit (around 10% compression or so).

Comment

Disks that CAN be compressed for serious yield in my experience are ALWAYS of the sort that can get even MORE compressed by just compressing files/tracks/data instead of raw image data. That's the point i'd say. (and 10% space saving ain't serious yield enough for my tastes - not worth the effort.)
            edit: :P i've found a couple of SafeDisk protected disks that use a fake disk structure - that's for completeness - less data on disk than the structure tells - sure, compression should be a big one there, but i personally never found need to care for those exceptions...

Comment

You nailed it SafeDisk 700mb images with 100mb data on it which better be backup-ed on DVD (hense no NTFS).
              In good old days there were VCD tools with an image compression which was useful. Sure, nowdays soft and games comes in CABs and stuff. But yet there are titles which read some "highly uncompressed" stuff from the media.
              Compressed images could have some "recovery data" (as in RAR) to serve as additional "error correction".
              Btw, is there any error detection / correction for ISO files themselves?

Comment

Re: SafeDisk 700mb images with 100mb data on it which better be backed-up on DVD

AFAIK ISO's of CD's/DVD's only contain cooked sectors of 2048(4*512) bytes. So that means no extra data.
                the modern world:
                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Looking for Compressed ISO file format

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to compress some bootable DVD disc images (ISOs)... without having to resort to a third-party decompression utility to dump the original ISO image file to a temp directory.

If anyone is aware of any 'already-compressed' disc image FORMATS already out there that any free CD/DVD burning software supports?

It would be great to burn already-compressed disk images on-the-fly without resorting to unzipping.

thanks,
                  Scott.

Comment

Compressed/encrypted image support (via plugins) in v4- not available for a while

scottcopus, if you scroll up on this same page (page 4) of the thread you'll see I said "Compressed/encrypted image support is not available until DAEMON Tools version 4.0." According toLocutusofBorg, such plugins will not be available right away but are planned.

Link whereLocutusofBorgoriginally talked about this.

So, in terms of what 'FORMAT' it would be. I see it being implemented just as a compression wrapper around any other format. So the way the compressed data is saved, in whatever format won't matter to you because you'll end up mounting and using the format stored inside the compressed file(s). That's my idea about it...
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Yeh, thanks... but I was actually looking for a burning program that could somehow burn these types of already-compressed images... directly.

I guess I could load up Daemon Tools and mount these compressed images onto a virtual drive letter... and then copy that way. But that seems lame.

thanks for reply though,
                      Scott.

Comment

help

well can someone explain what is 2048 and 2352 cuz am newbie in this iso stuff
                        i would appreciate it
                        Yossef A. Ben Mikhail
                        MCSA MCDST

any mevin ivrit.

Comment

Originally Posted by yacbos
                          well can someone explain what is 2048 and 2352 cuz am newbie in this iso stuff
                          i would appreciate it
                          That names how many bits per sector are in the image (I think
                          :wink: )
                          -Evan C. Davis-

Comment

bytes :wink:
                            the modern world:
                            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven
                              bytes :wink:
                              Meh, as long as someone gets it right. What I am wondering is if anyone at DT is currently working on a plugin like this?
                              -Evan C. Davis-

Comment

Originally Posted by evan_davis5225
                                That names how many bits per sector are in the image (I think
                                :wink: )
                                well if 2048 or 2352
                                what the differnce i mean at the end the cd will hold the 700 mb or there is somekind of trick cuz i really dont get it
                                Yossef A. Ben Mikhail
                                MCSA MCDST

any mevin ivrit.

Comment

Working...
                                X