No announcement yet.

Kernel Debugger issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea I have the same problem except that it appears everytime i start my computer.

I got the message when I tried to open Daemon tool 4.03, it used to work though...
    And when i try to uninstall it, i got the same message

I also tried to dl SPTD from this website and do the sptd.exe add thing, but the same thing appeared saying that failed to oped the registry

there is another problem with the DT, the newest version of alcohol requires SPTD i guess, therefore i was unable to install it...

sigh..

Comment

Same

Normally I would not sign up for a forum, but I just had to in this case. I have narrowed the problem with the kernel debugger error message down to a Windows Update ... don't know which yet, but I am working on it. Check back here for updates! I am trying to figure it out atm.

Comment

Solution!

Hello there fellow DT users!

Okay, I have had all kinds of errors with the new 4.03 version of DT during this last whole week of trial and error testing. The errors I haven't been able to correct, and so I see most of you have failed to correct too, I have now corrected. Only took me five reinstalls of Windows Server 2003 EE...

I have here, the EXACT, PROVEN solution to the kernel debugger error message AND the "Failed to oped config key" errors!

This guide is for Windows XP and all the way up to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. (Let me know if it works on Windows 2000 too).

The legal stuff:
        I accept no responsibility whatsoever for the damages done to peoples software/hardware during the use of this guide... bla bla bla

Okay, here goes:
        1. Boot into safe mode (Make sure to press ESC when/if it asks you if you want to load the SPTD.SYS driver!)
        2. Go into your "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS" and delete the SPTD.SYS -and- the SPTDxxxx.SYS (Where xxxx being a random number that varies from computer to computer).

Okay, now it gets tricky:
        3. Open up your Registry Editor and do a search for "sptd".
        4. When found, delete them. You will find keys you cannot delete. You have to change the permissions on those keys, to allow administrators (notice the "s" at the end of "administrator") to change them, in order to be able to delete them. (Seems logical, right?).

The method to change permissions:
        1. Rightclick the "sptd" key and select "Permissions..."
        2. In the "Security" tab that has now opened, you will see the list of users that have access to this registry key and it's sub-keys. Click on "Advanced".
        3. In this window you need to make sure that the "Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here." is NOT enabled.
        4. Now select the users in the list you see before you and press "Remove". Now press "Apply".
        5. Press "Add..." in that same window.
        6. In the "Select User or Group" window you press "Avanced" and after that, press "Find Now".
        7. You will now see the list of available users on your computer. Here you select "Administrators", (Still with the "s" in the end of "Administrator"), and press "OK".
        8. Okay, back in the "Select User or Group" window you also press "OK". (Notice that there is now a user in the list at the bottom of the window called "<ourcomputername>\Administrators").
        9. Now, we're back in the "Advanced Security Settings" window in the "Permissions" tab. Select the "Owner" tab.
        10. Select the "Administrators" user and enable the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" option. Press "Apply".
        11. Select the "Effective Permissions" tab.
        12. In this tab you press "Select..." and repeat step 6-8. Now you should see "Administrators" in the "Group or user name:" box.
        13. Press "OK".

Back to the main part of the guide:
        5. Repeat step 1-13 for every single key you find by searching for "sptd", that you are unable to delete normally.
        6. Reboot your Windows into normal (un-safe? :P ) mode and install DT 4.03 following normal installation procedures.

That's it!

If you have any questions, feel welcome to ask me here in this thread.

(On a personal note, I can say that I have gained a much deeper understanding of the Windows Registry during this week of trying to get SPTD installed. So it ain't all bad :P ).

Comment

Same problem

I repaired my windows today with the windows cd. Whillst doing that I also installed Service pack 2 amongst some other updates.

After I entered the newli reinstalled windows I got the same error messages as everyone else. I cant reinstall Daemon tools, nor can I uninstall it.

The uninstall message I get is: setup is unable to validate installation.

Install message I get is: Failed to oped config key.

It seems like I managed to uninstall Deamon tools. I still get the same error messages when I try to install it thou. What I did was I installed the older 3.41 version. Then I used the latest Daemon installer and uninstalled it. then I installed it again... but got the error message. The catalog is still in my programs files but the program isnt working.

Hope the people at Daemon fix this issue. I just formated my harddrive the other week. Fells a bit irritating to have to redo the formating again just because I cant seem to be able to uninstall service pack 2, which I belive has something to do with the errors.

Comment

@kemlir: Try to fix it like described in the post of ShamblerDK. That should help you to get rid of the DT registry entrys! Once you have deleted all spdt.sys and dtscsi entries you should be able to install DT again.

See also my way to fix a destroyed DT install, wrecked by a XP upgrade:

floogy

Comment

Okay folks i solved this last night. Aswell this gets rid of the conflict with the new alcohol aswell

Go to ctrl panel-->system-->advanced tab-->start up and recovery-->write debugging information

change the setting to NONE

install alcohol 120 and d-tools

Hope this helps

Comment

ShamblerDK -

Well that Didn't Work either... What do u guys mean with booting in safe mode..What the H**L am I going to boot in safe mode or whatever it is I'm going to start it in. And another thing I can't see any "<ourcomputername>\Administrators" I came to stage 8 and the It all got fucked UP! When Im "Replacing owner on subcontainers and objects" I get a message who saiyng "Wrong - Could not indicate the Owner for these Objects and Subcontainers indicated" What Do I Do?
                :wink:

Comment

fed up

I get the same problems as everyone else with the same error messages. Bit sad since i formated my harddrive last thursday, and I installed updates and service pack 2 this monday. And thats when I got the messages about Daemon tools. Fed up with it not working so I guess Im gonna format my hardrive again and skipp the windows updates.

Comment

You should NOT skip the updates, but install the updates first, then Daemon Tools.
                    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Windows Update

As copytropper says install the updates first. It looks like the windows installer thats download with that doesn't like daemon to be installed before it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by ShamblerDK
                        Hello there fellow DT users!

Okay, I have had all kinds of errors with the new 4.03 version of DT during this last whole week of trial and error testing. The errors I haven't been able to correct, and so I see most of you have failed to correct too, I have now corrected. Only took me five reinstalls of Windows Server 2003 EE...
                        Well ShamblerDK's plan worked for me. Send me your PayPal details and I'll send you a fiver. This was really screwing my life up and you have made my day.

Comment

Same but worse...

Well... More or less, I have the same problem, except I pretty much screwed my PC. See... I was playing Oblivion w/ daemon tools (absolutely awesome game), and my PC locked up. It went to that blue screen you all are probabably familiar with for XP where it's like... beginning dump of physical memory... such and such. So (and aparently before I should hve) I turned off my PC, and restarted...

No boot. %@#$!
                          Ok... no big deal, try again in safe mode... try again in use last good config bla bla bla... Try again with xp cd... No boot!

So... I instal a second instance of windows onto my hard dirve... and I can kind of run that... except a lot of programs don't run.. I think because of the registry running out of the new windows folder as opposed to the old one that had all my entires for everything, and Whamo! Daemon tools gets that stupid kernel debugging and STP whatever error. I just want to play Oblivion right? So anyway, I haven't seen anything simple here that seems like it's going to help much, but I'll let ya'll know if and when I am able to fix this. Help would be apreciated. Thank you for you time.

Comment

I too would not normally subscribe to a forum like this, this however is the solution i used for my xpsp2(home edition) laptop.(compaq)

firstly made sure i had the 4.03 istalation package as a download(un touched)

edit boot.ini to AlwaysOff/NOPAE as described earlier in forum

rename sptd.sys in Win sys32 drivers folder to some thing else

reboot and run the 4.03 installtion to fix problem(error message pops up, just keep hitting ignore until the end of the installation ,or maybe hitting abort has the same effect,I'm not sure) , let computer reboot

OK i'm not saying it is a panacea but it did solve the problems. oh yes also run Alcohol on system, but as far as i am aware if you don't muck about and just try to solve the daemmon tools problem then this solution worked for me(also run Nero and Roxio + other emulators)
                            Last edited by Peasant; 20.04.2006, 04:53.

Comment

Deamon half working? + have to login quickly

Im allso having the problem with the Kernel Debugger. I have the DT logo an i can mount cd:s in the down right corner by the side of the clock.
                              But now to the problems, when im trying to start DT by pressing Start > All programs (direct translation from swedish) > Deamon tools i got the "Initalization error... widows 2000 with SPTD 1.24... Kernel debugger must be deactivated"-message. The first time i saw the message after i installed DT correctly (yes ive had some problems with installing it) was when i logged out from windows and logged in again then the message appeared. Now i have installed a new version of th ATI Catalyst and it installed some windows s*it for me. Now i have to log in every single time im starting the computer (no it doesnt work to disable it) and if don't log in as fast as possible the DT wont start, i got the message and i have to reboot the computer to get it started. This begins to be really annoying. Anyone knows to get rid of the poblem?
                              Last edited by SB2000; 30.04.2006, 13:11.

Comment

just wanted to add to this problem.. i recently re-installed my windows XP and got this error when trying to run DT, a side effect of this was that my ipod would not be detected when it was plugged into the computer, the little "safely remove device" icon would appear, but no drive was accessable in explorer or itunes.

deleting that file fixed everything though. cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X