SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounded too good to be true

Since i'm completely empty of ideas, i tried setting core dump to none. Then I rebooted and Voila! Nothing happened, computer still froze.

But now i know there's a bunch of people having same issue. If this thread gets big enough it'll be noticed, there has to be a workaround, we just need to find it.

Comment

I had the same outcome as daq. I tried the setting the mem dump to none, but all it did was... actually, it didn't do anything at all. I'm still waiting for DT to hopefully take more notice of this continuing problem. If we get lucky, then maybe they'll make it a top priority.

Comment

OMGOMGOMG!!! I think that I found it!!!

ok, I think that I found the problem. It was in another forum by posted by VeNoM386. It talks about how to completely remove DT from your system. It's here at http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t699...-tools-v4.html
        anyway, to make it short and sweet, go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers and delete "sptd.sys" and "dtscsi.sys" THis should fix the problem. At least it did for me. Well see if it stays fixed or if it's just a temp fix. good luck guys and I'll keep watching the posts!

Comment

sorry guys...

False alarm... It didn't detect the scsi port driver and it froze when I tried to restart. Damnit... thought that I had it...

Comment

Looks like I found a fix

I found this while searching for sptd.sys on google:

Have you ever gotten a "System File Error" when installing Daemon Tools. This is how i got mine fixed.
            It has to do with the SPTD drivers or files or whatever the hell it is.

1. run a search on "SPTD" (without quotes)
            2. delete the found files but leave it in the recycle bin just in case. i found 3 files (2 .sys files and 1 .pf file)and deleted them. might be different for you. as long as u find 2 .sys files, delete them (sptd.sys and sptdxxxx.sys [xxxx being a number])
            3. Then restart your pc. that error about daemon tools not initializing will pop up but if it doesn't all the better.
            4. run daemon tools installation file. It will then install the SPTD thing again and then restart the pc.
            5. the installation will then continue after reboot saying daemon tools is already installed and ask if u want to repair/reinstall or unintall. Select Uninstall and click ok.
            5. it will then say a device can't be removed. i think it's the virtual cd-rom drive it created. just select ignore every single time. if it doesn't appear all the better. if it gives an error about a device can't be removed, restart your pc else go straight to step6.
            6. Run the installation file again and it should install nicely without errors.

Do at your own risk. One way to remove this problem is to do a clean install of windows. since i was already going to do so i just tried out what was mentioned above and discovered it worked. so don't blame me if your pc get more messed up. but if you're like me and don't give a horses Bordar (Bordar is a kweyol word for you can guess what) then give it a try. I did this twice and it worked both times.

Death Scythe

It sounds too simple, but it worked for me. Thanks Death Scythe :-)

Comment

I tried your workaround daq, as i have the same isue with the install.
              But at step 4, you restarted your pc after the second installation, this time you don't delete any files, with out deleting those files, i just can't reboot, cause my pc stops loading windows at the bootscreen of winXP!

Comment

I have the exact same problem as all of you guys.
                Strange thing is that the problem only occurs on my new pc. A few weeks ago I bought a new computer and while I have been using Daemon Tools without any problems on my old pc for quite some time, I instantly got this problem on my new one.
                Now, the big difference between the two computers is that my new one has got a RAID-controller. I have no idea wether this could be part of the problem but i found it remarkable that i never had any problems with my old pc while I certainly do with my new one. For all I know you guys already know that RAID-controllers are the problem, if so, ignore this post .

Comment

Make sure you uninstall

Originally Posted by Pizr
                  I tried your workaround daq, as i have the same isue with the install.
                  But at step 4, you restarted your pc after the second installation, this time you don't delete any files, with out deleting those files, i just can't reboot, cause my pc stops loading windows at the bootscreen of winXP!
                  I didn't think it would work either, because it's basically just replacing those files with the same files, but it did. Just make sure you uninstall DT after you remove those files.

Comment

Same problem. SPTD installs normally, then reboot, then DT also installs, but after the second reboot - BSOD. And then only deleting of sptd.sys helps.
                    Funny thing - Windows (XP, sp2) is just installed.
                    List of installed programs:
                    Outpost Firewall, NOD32 antivirus, TrafficCompressor, Opera 8.5, K-Lite codec pack, qip, RegOrganizer, TotalCommander.
                    And drivers - Catalyst 5.13, SoundMaker Value 5.1, Thrustmaster ForceFeedback driver.
                    That's all.

Comment

Do you have a minidump (in Windows\Minidump folder) related to that BSOD? Send newest file to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread.
                      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I've sent you my minidump-log, please, check the mail

Comment

Computer wont start!

Hello, I have this problem with Windows not getting past the load screen. I cant start my computer and i dont know how to get it working so it will start up. It sounds like some of you have goten past the start problem, so can any of you offer any advice on how to get the computer at least started up? I have tried all of the modes of starting up. (safe, safe w/network, command prompt, last good, normally) Please help, I cant get my computer started at all.
                          Thank you

Comment

Did you press ESC when prompted to abort loading of sptd.sys during boot into safe mode?
                            If so, and it still hangs, boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to your Windows installation (requires administrator password), change dir (cd) to Windows\System32\Drivers folder, rename sptd.sys, and reboot.
                            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

my problem is a little different

Windows and everything works fine. No problems there at all. The only thing that doesn't work, is DT. I have used DT for years now, and it suddenly stopped working when I reinstalled windows. I have all the same programs that I had before I reinstalled windows, but for some reason It won't work. It's the kernel debugger error thing. I have tried all the ways people tell me to fix it, but nothing works. I even tried reinstalling windows a second time, but that didn't work either... Any other new suggestions???

Comment

This is not a complete solution of the problem, but you can try to disable all virtual drives before turning off or rebooting computer. It helps me to avoid minidump.

Comment

Working...
                                X