SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Endorphin
    This is not a complete solution of the problem, but you can try to disable all virtual drives before turning off or rebooting computer. It helps me to avoid minidump.
    Can you send the minidump related to that BSOD to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread?
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
      Can you send the minidump related to that BSOD to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread?
      Already sent (from adress "adskaya@pochta.ru"). Didn't you recieved it?

Comment

No, please re-send unpacked.

Comment

I tough the same problem but i think i has yet the reason. I make following steps to install DT:
          -Ensure that you deinstall all old DT files (spid and so on)
          -Install only the SCSI driver with the sptdinst_x86.exe manually
          -Reboot
          -Install DT ( accept the installation for the sptd driver)
          -Before you now reboot the system go to run, enter "msconfig" go to "system" and deactivate the checkbox deamon, go to "services" in the msconfig and deactivate the checkbox at the machine debugger. Than you can restart.

I hope this can help you

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
            No, please re-send unpacked.
            Done

Originally Posted by Quaterman
            I hope this can help you
            Mmm... I'll try.

Comment

No Boot

Can't boot here also. Hangs just before the Desktop should appear.

XP Pro SP2
              Daemon 4.03
              AVG Antivirus 7.
              Kerio 4.2.3

It ran fine for a while without any problems but suddenly started to act up and I don't know why. I didn't install anything new.

This is what works for me.

I had it set up to automatically go to my Username , no login screen. I changed it so that it prompts you for the user.

I booted up in Safe Mode, in a cmd prompt I entered "control userpasswords2" and entered. I checked the box for "Users must enter a Username and Password, etc."

Perhaps it's just a coincidence but so far so good. YMMV

Comment

DELETE SPTD.sys!!!!

Search your computer for sptd.sys and delete that sucker. Fixed me right up!!!! Mine was in C:\windows\system32\drivers

Good luck!!!!

Comment

yeah but now without sptd.sys you cant run dt anymore, can you?

Comment

No, you can't.

Comment

I have the same problem, it keeps rebooting and says a error for about 0.2 seconds. What the error is i cant say. Windows will not boot in safe mode and stops with loading: vax347b.sys. If i press esc the same thing will hapen. All i can see its a smaler massage.

The next thing is that i cant get to my HD i have a ATA and the Windows CD-Rom cannot access my HD (maxtor 6L160M0). If anyone has suggestions tnx for that.

I had nothing changed it was just a normal boot up.

Comment

How mine messed up differs a bit to most others here. I got the same effect (rebooting) by installing an old Alcohol version without DT being involved.
                        When I did this, Windows wanted to install RAID drivers, instead of finding my mainboard disk, I let windows install it's own drivers. This had the same constant serious error/rebooting effect until I removed the RAID drivers from safe mode. I then turned to DT and it didn't continue installing after the reboot. I've now got it to the point of giving disable Kernel debugger errors, DT is in my start menu but obviously isn't properly installed because it reboots when started.

I can only be a bit vague in my description here, sorry but it may be relevant about the RAID driver effects being the same as SPTD.

Comment

For starters, my problem exactly matches the original problem explained in this thread, and this thread was the first one I found that did.

To recap, the problem is that the computer will hang on boot (not crash, if it ever where that simple) when the spdt driver is loaded.

--- DISCLAIMER ---
                          TRYING TO DO ANYTHING EXPLAINED IN THIS POST MAY LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER IN A REALLY BAD STATE, AND YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER FROM THIS WITHOUT REINSTALLING WINDOWS (DELETING EVERYTHING ON YOUR HARDDISK)
                          --- END OF DISCLAIMER ---

First off, there is some kernel boot options that is helpfull when debugging this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;833721

There is the /numproc option, which tells the kernel how many cpus to use. And there is the /noguiboot option, which allows you to see what drivers are loaded (and possibly abort loading of them).

What I have found is that if I use the /numproc option to set my system to single cpu (AMD X2), the spdt driver will load just fine every time.

When I boot into multiproc kernel, the driver will fail about 75% of the time. The computer will then enter a tight loop on one of the cores, since loading of windows apparently continues on the other core for a short while, since there is hd activity.

If I cancel the loading of the spdt driver, my computer will always boot correctly, no matter what.

The 75% may just be because of the cpu speed of my dual core, and/or driver load order. Others may experience this as a complete lockup or 25% failure rate, depending on how easily this soft hang is triggered on their system.

I've also seen reports that unmounting the images from the drives helps, but I can't confirm or reject this right now.

Another thing that I should mention is that there is no possibility of sending you a memory dump, since this bug eventyally deadlocks the kernel. Which the kernel won't react to, since no error has occured.

If you know the procedure to get this memory dump through enabling debugging and grabbing or saving a dump through serial ports, I'll run down to the hardware shack and buy a cable!

Hope this helps,
                          Kenneth

Comment

System will not boot with SPTD.SYS installed. (neither with v4.0 nor v4.03 of DT)
                            • Asus P4C800E Dlx (i875)
                            • WDC 74GB Raptor (S-ATA)
                            • WinXP Pro Corp SP2 with all current updates (18.02.06)
                            • No anti-virus installed
                            • No SF-files or games installed
                            • Nero of some sort (6.3xx to 7.0) have been installed from time to time
                            • "Easy CD Creator" never installed (as you've asked for knowing)

We have come to rely on Daemon Tools and many of us don't know how to game without. Please prioritize

Edit: I have now recently formatted and reinstalled XP, and DT4 finally installed
                            Last edited by graastein; 15.03.2006, 23:18.

Comment

Commonality

I too suffer from the sptd.sys won't boot, hangs before login screen death. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things. Either:
                              1. CureROM frelled it up when it changed all the permissions and hid daemon tools
                              2. Star Wars Empire at War silently installed a I HATE DAEMON TOOLS mod that silently frells up your computer from the back door
                              3. The latest 5 pack of microsoft updates delivered a new change that has irreperably broken sptd.sys for the moment.

Those are the only 3 things that have changed on my system.

I safe mode booted hitting escape to not load sptd.sys and removed the driver. I then rebooted, changed permissions on all sptd related registry entries and deleted them. I'm going to try a cold reinstall of daemon tools etc after I'm sure all references to it are removed and see what happens. I'm pretty sure though that something installed recently frelled everything up.

The people saying (I didn't change anything ) probably didn't include or care that they'd installed all of Microsoft's frelling updates.

Comment

I too suffer from the sptd.sys won't boot, hangs before login screen death. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things. Either:
                                1. CureROM frelled it up when it changed all the permissions and hid daemon tools
                                2. Star Wars Empire at War silently installed a I HATE DAEMON TOOLS mod that silently frells up your computer from the back door
                                3. The latest 5 pack of microsoft updates delivered a new change that has irreperably broken sptd.sys for the moment.

Those are the only 3 things that have changed on my system.

I safe mode booted hitting escape to not load sptd.sys and removed the driver. I then rebooted, changed permissions on all sptd related registry entries and deleted them. I'm going to try a cold reinstall of daemon tools etc after I'm sure all references to it are removed and see what happens. I'm pretty sure though that something installed recently frelled everything up.

The people saying (I didn't change anything ) probably didn't include or care that they'd installed all of Microsoft's frelling updates.
                                I've experiened the same issue as well.

1. I installed Star Wars Empire at war.
                                2. Installed Curerom 1.30b

Never could get Empire at War to work. Seems that the new version of secure rom is very malicous. I cant say for sure if it was curerom that hosed it or the game itself. Maybe both..

It caused Alcohol 120% to quit working and I cannot get Daemon Tools to work period.

My system hangs after the splash screen , unless I delete the daemon tools driver files.

Looks like I'll be reloading this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X