No announcement yet.

SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• btw: because someone asks - this is the posting that Mr.
    Klassen made in other board where he explained to us, why
    he is so pissed off by our software - I doubt that with such
    attitude he would even receive help on other vendor's websites
    - really, I highly doubt it. In fact, it is questionable if my whole
    reply even was worth to write or if I should have better saved
    my time for other people that are really interested to be part
    of the solution and not the problem

Comment

• I cannot start my computer at all. If I try to boot normally, it hangs up in the windows xp screen. If I go in safe mode, it gives me the option of escaping from loading sptd.sys and vax347b.sys

Like 5 minutes ago I cancelled the loading of both of them in safe mode and am just gonna let my comp sit there for a few hours if I have to, to see if it works. If that doesnt, before I go to bed I guess Ill have to try letting them load in safe mode while I sleep and hope my comp is working in the morning.

I also tried putting in my Windows XP disc, and it just goes to a blue screen, loads a bunch of hardware and software drivers, then says its loading windows, or something to that effect, and it freezes up again.

If someone has a way to fix this so I can actually turn on my computer and then get these files and Alcohol removed from my computer I will ecstatic. I have no idea what to do at this point, 2.5 hours with Microsoft tech support couldnt help, Im normally the one my friends call with computer questions but now Im finding I cant even help myself out. PLEASE HELP!
      Last edited by jsgksu; 21.12.2006, 01:32. Reason: I left out some information

Comment

• I responded to your other post in the Alcohol forums (assuming you're the same user, but the post looks the same). However, you didn't mention that you tried booting from the Windows CD in that post. If that's the case, and it's still locking up, then there's something physically wrong with your computer. No software, regardless of what it does, can interfere with your system when you boot directly from the Windows CD.

Comment

• Disk error

Hi guys,
          I have a 'temporary' solution for the SPTD.sys problem that worked for me.
          The problem keeps returning once in a while, so i hope there will be a perminant solution soon.

I had the same problem with starting XP and the SPTD.sys error. I also couldn't use the XP Recovery, this also gives an error.

The way i fixed the problem was by using an Ultimate Boot CD i luckily had. On this disk there were some tools to do a diskcheck. The full disk scan that took about an hour finaly returned an disk error. The repair took less then an second en when i rebooted everything was ok!

Like is said, once every few weeks this error returns.

I have:
          SATA harddisk Maxtor 250 Gb
          Deamontools 4.XX
          XP PRO SP2

Good luck everyone with this problem.

Comment

• Originally Posted by switch View Post
            Second occurence happened apparently 'out of the blue' while I installed a nVidia driver. Wierd thing is that I installed a driver that I KNOW WORKED before on my system while I still had 3.47. It's the most stable driver version for my card (geforce 6600 from AOpen).
            Originally Posted by Provider_uk View Post
            Since the install a couple of weeks ago (no reboots in that time) i have installed ... and nvidia 84.21 forceware drivers
            Hi, same problem here with black screen. Now it started for me after installing nvidia drivers for my 6600 (same as switch's card and same happened to switch).From this I can assume theres a conflict between sptd.sys and the nvidia driver cause its the only thing i've installed in the last 2 weeks. i didn't even install updates to any programs including windows- auto updates being disabled- ...). Funny thing is my system only showed the symptoms like 85% of the time. oh and i installed nvidia 91.37 driver (this happened a while ago and was fixed by plugging in a new monitor; but happened to another one of my comps too after installing same driver so theres definately a conflict). 93.71 is out so i'll try that soon. Let you know how it went.

EDIT

DT 4.06HE And NVIDIA Forceware drivers v93.71 work flawlessly now. Also i'm not sure if the problem was fixed with 4.08 as I seem to have missed that update even though I visit the site often... Oops! Updating now
            Last edited by Burningsheep; 10.01.2007, 04:32. Reason: update

Comment

• 93.71 defintley works flawlessly on 6 machines here together
              with SPTD V1.39

Comment

• Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg View Post
                93.71 defintley works flawlessly on 6 machines here together
                with SPTD V1.39
                not sure if i have SPTD V1.39 but i do have DT v4.06HE and I did the NVIDIA driver update and It seems to have been fixed. I was just hesitant to try again because I didn't want my computer to go wacko again Anyways, It DOES work here with 93.71. So if anyone had problems with nvidia drivers, they seem to have been fixed! Hurray!

I don't know if the DT team is part of the fix but in case you are, thanks for the fix! (whenever it was done)...

Comment

• I'm not sure if I can contribute any new info to this issue but I thought I'd sound in - build up some critical mass.

I don't use DT, but I have Alcohol 120. I also use Acronis True Image. I have a dual core processor, Windows XP x32, etc - similar to many posters here.

After a windows update, my computer hung at the logo screen (as has been described).
                  This problem is re-occuring with any other 'virtual drive' emulator that I use! I've tried PowerISO, UltraISO. The only one that is still working is Nero imagedrive, which I don't particularly like, since it only permits 2 virtual drives.

The first time I had this problem I logged in under 'debugging mode' and then removed sptd.sys and as many reg entries as I could. The next time (after installing UltraIso) I could only get back in through safe mode, and uninstalling UltraIso.

I can confidently state that my problem is related to disc drive emulation, and a windows update, maybe a security update, but I don't know which one (for x32). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with video drivers - I think the posters who have been able to fix the issue by changing theirs have a different, or similar problem, but not the same one.

I've tried most of the solutions proposed in this thread but none of them have worked yet. I'm going to try aaly's regedit proposal after this, but if you don't hear back - you can assume that I'm stuck with Nero for now.

Comment

• It looks like what actually worked was following Karl's instructions (www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm) a little more closely - so Kudos to him!

Let's hope this problem stays gone...

Comment

• Not-Dae Related

I recently installed Alcohol 120%.

I don't really see the real co-relation because my problem seems to be non-related to it as it started first two days ago, my audigy 2 zx stopped working, whereafter my integrated sound card (realtek asus k8n-e Deluxe) needed to be installed.

A few restarts later, usual use shut-down, my audigy card software is working again. So I ran the check, openend this baby up dusted and replaced and the the other card is working. I have my headphones on, decide to watch southpark so I reconnect my 2.1 speakers, awful noise they be, and chaching! no sound. Baffled as I am I figure I need to restart, I recall that the audigy software worked only after reinstalling the whole set of drivers, which meant a reboot.

Reboot and I get a blue screen also something about the registry being updated, no idea what that was....

And I log in, and i'm kicked right back out.

I have Nero, never use it, its basic on the pc, I had alcohol, used it once in the last 5 days, I don't recall it being in the startup items.

Anyway, how do you fix or change STPD.SYS, see my safe mode boot also gives me the same story, press esc blah blah.

I'd say it's windows updates, I feel my pc acting weird everytime, my pc was set up by a legit MSCE who uses legit versions of these OS no off the ent ripped items so I can't see why I have to be messed up by MCS... but I think its the latest "updates" they're unstable.

Please help with the stpd.sys, thnx.

Comment

• Alcohol 120% giving booting problems, vax347b.sys

So, I noticed the problem first when my computer would only boot 1/2 of the time. As time went on, it got worse and worse until I couldn't boot to windows at all unless I left the computer off overnight then tried again in the morning, where it would work once.

It would POST, show the windows loading splash, then it would go to a blank, black, screen and do nothing. Not HDD activity or anything. Safe mode would also not load, and it would stop on the vax347b.sys driver.

I cancelled the vax347b.sys loading (I think it's a feature of SP2 or some new XP patch), by pressing esc, loaded safe mode, renamed vax347b.sys to vax347b.sy_, rebooted normally (which WORKED this time), uninstalled Alcohol 120%, and the problem went away 100%!!!

Just thought I'd share this so others can remedy the problem.

Comment

• can't log into windows AT ALL, even with installation CD

Well, I've read through this whole topic, and haven't seen anyone tell how to get past this problem.

I can't start windows no matter what method I choose: safe mode, last known good, NOTHING. I have tried EVERY method available. Even a restore with the Windows installation CD.

Trying to boot in safe mode and letting SPTD.sys load freezes me up. Trying to boot in safe mode and escaping the SPTD.sys load freezes me up. The most I will see is the Windows XP splash screen, then it goes to the BSOD with the error about SPTD.

If I try to use the Windows installation CD (either as a new installation or a restore), it loads all of the drivers, then goes to the next screen where it's "examining" my hard drive. There is no indication that it is doing anything, and leaving it "examine" for an hour or more doesn't help.

So, I've tried everything (that I can) from this thread, but no one has said how to get past this problem that many people have asked about.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Comment

• Sorry for the double post, but I didn't see any way to edit my previous message.

I got my issue resolved last night. All I did was logged into this site (on my laptop since I couldn't use the desktop PC):

and downloaded their Avira NTFS4DOS Personal software.

I installed their boot disk utilities onto a 3.5" floppy (my laptop only has a CD/DVD reader), took it to the desktop PC and fired it up, then just ran the CHKDSK program and let it fix any errors it found. I just ran it twice to be sure it caught everything. When it was done, I just rebooted and held my breath. It worked. All was right in the world again.

The original message I got from my computer when I displayed the BSOD was that the SPTD driver was trying to make an image that was pageable when it could only be non-pageable (or something like that). I don't know why that would keep me from being able to log in completely, but oh, well.

This may be a simplistic approach to the fix, but it worked. I also deleted the SYS file (I only had one, not two like you guys have mentioned). Just to be sure things are OK, I've since rebooted a few times with no ill effects.

Thanks for this topic. While it may not have fixed my problem, it did point me in other directions to consider.

Comment

• Hi all!

I found the problems fix that leads to reboot and hung your system after installing a daemon and SPTD layer.
                              I found it at the forum.duplexsecure.com

The problem was only with sptd layer. To fix it, you need to do next simple things:

Uninstall all software using SPTD layer (e.g. Alcohol, Daemon Tools), open registry editor (execute regedit) and go to this key:
                              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
                              change the Start value to 4 (disabled), and reboot.
                              After reboot delete the whole sptd key in services hive. If you get error message about permissions enable all permissions on cfg key first.
                              Execute 1.42 stand-alone installer then to install SPTD, reboot, then run 1.42 installer again. If it says no SPTD version detected, do NOT install Alcohol etc., we've to ensure correct SPTD layer installation first.
                              If r0 key exists after reboot, delete it (in sptd key).

Thx to Digger (administrator http://forum.duplexsecure.com)

After doing that I installed Daemon without rebooting my pc, and everything works fine.

Comment

• SPTD 1.42 is old. 1.50 is the current version, and there's a 1.51 public beta version available for download now.

Comment

Working...
                                X