Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free d/l'ed images

Originally Posted by Ichinisan
    Some ISO images are freely-distributable...he may have downloaded a Linux distro
    IMHO that's a good point... What do you say about this? Does that justify discussing about downloaded images as long as we don't know whether they're legal or not?

I mean as soon as they're talking about a copy protection the game's over as they're obviously illegally downloaded, but until then...?
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Depends what the user asks. If they want to know about a .bin file they should know that they need a cue file (afaik, linux distro's come in iso format). And if a user is smart enough to install/run linux, they should not need so much help with dtools...

Comment

point taken. and i have to admit there's not much else i can imagine than a linux distro coming legally as a cd image from the internet... :roll:

especially as they should be pointed to BOTH files (cue and bin) when downloading somewhere as long as it's legal...

Comment

There are sites that offer 'backups' for a fee. They claim that many ppl can't make a working backup so they provide this for them. I suppose its semi-legal.

I'm adding in a new feature too. If a user links from a site containing warez, a big red warning is displayed telling them not to ask us for support :lol: I just get tired of answering the same thing all the time.

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
          There are sites that offer 'backups' for a fee. They claim that many ppl can't make a working backup so they provide this for them. I suppose its semi-legal.
          This would REALLY surprise me - it would mean that anybody can make money offering games just by claiming it's for backup purposes? I'm pretty sure that's very illegal at least in germany, but still it's your decision to allow or deny it here.
          I'm adding in a new feature too. If a user links from a site containing warez, a big red warning is displayed telling them not to ask us for support :lol: I just get tired of answering the same thing all the time.
          You mean if e.g. somebody's on, let's say, sharereactor and comes here he'll get that warning? Coolies... I gotta try that...

Maybe you should highlight the Site Rules link some more, or put it on top of every site just as in the old forum... And highlight the Search button as well, some people just don't seem to find it anymore... (I admit that it's VERY difficult to look on the left instead of on top of the page... *shakes head*)

Comment

The point why we donґt support downloaded images is that we never know how the image was created - regardless if itґs (really) free or not.
            So the only thing regarding free images would be to ask for a download link so we can check it out - then weґll see if itґs free or warez/gamez stuff and can take further actions based on that knowledge.
            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Well, to be honest I cannot really understand that argument. As long as somebody claims to have legally downloaded an image, you can be exactly as sure that that's the truth as when he claims to have made that image himself - both cases just base on what he said. Which can be true or not.

Comment

Sure, but if we ask how the image was created, and/or where it was downloaded, we can take further actions based on whatever we get as an answer to that question :mrgreen:
                However, thereґre very few really free downloadable images, so this is a more theoretical question - if itґs a legally downloaded image noone would have problems to tell where he got it, and if not -> boing! :mrgreen:
                Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

indeed, it was rather academical...

Comment

A link with warez in it gives this message. Try this: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/warez/blah.php

Comment

yaye! *g* thanks for the demo...

Comment

It's simple, like Copytrooper already mentioned:

we don't support downloaded images, because we can't ask the user about HOW it was created. Moreover, even if it IS a freely distro of Linux, I can't imagine what problems could occur? Those images aren't protected in any way. But if you want to help even those guys, you can simply ask about WHAT program it is. In 99% of all cases, the user answer "Game XXX".
                        BTW: I don't believe someone install Linux with Daemon Tools, because nearly all people I know prefer a OS on a REAL CD

Comment

Working...
                        X