Mount an image inside another image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you burn as UDF ?
    I always burn as UDF, if my image is bigger than 2 GB.

Comment

Originally Posted by DomiOh
      Why don't you burn as UDF ?
      I always burn as UDF, if my image is bigger than 2 GB.
      because all the UDF CD or DVD I have burn I can't read it! UDF is a bad format and very bad supported format in my opinion...

Comment

I never had any problems with UDF...
        Probably I only have luck...

Comment

You can also use splitted image formats - there are enough formats supporting splitted images (Alcohol mds/mdf, Blindwrite b5t etc.).
          And if your system is unable to read UDF DVDs, there's something wrong with your system.
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Try using Phisical Partition as type of UDF and version UDF 1.02 for better compatibility
            Mejor morir de pie, que no vivir de rodillas.

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
              You can also use splitted image formats - there are enough formats supporting splitted images (Alcohol mds/mdf, Blindwrite b5t etc.).
              I know it and I do it in some case. The problem is for the 1:1 copy of the latest game, if I try to split the image in 2GB file with Alcohol the image is not "correct" for the check, if I made a single file the check is ok... don't know why...

And if your system is unable to read UDF DVDs, there's something wrong with your system.
              I tested the dvd on different OS and PCs with the same result...

Comment

What is your operating system, hierro?
                Mejor morir de pie, que no vivir de rodillas.

Comment

Mount an image inside another image II

Originally Posted by AmphetaMarinE
                  Also if d-tools is set to only use one drive, a small msgbox could be made to popup saying, "This image resides inside the currently mounted image. Please enable more than one virtual drive for successful mounting of nested image files." or something similar....
                  Just an idea for v4.04... :P

Operating System: WinXP, SP2
                  Burning Software: Nero 7.0.5.4.
                  Anti-virus Software: AVG
                  DAEMON Tools Version: 4.0.3 X86

First of all, I’m glad to see the amount of people who have read my post and replied to it, thank you all.
                  I have to say a thing: I have tried to mount the B-image (inside the A-image), using the same virtual drive _intentionally_ i.e. in order to test the behaviour of the daemon tools to solve this abnormal situation. As it is a possible action that an user can do, you must consider both positive and collateral effects. I know that there is the possibility to use 4 virtual drives, but I think this is not the right answer (that is not the way to solve the problem), as it is possible to lock all the 4 virtual drives, just mounting more “russian doll’s style” images!! It sounds as say “Why do you use a virtual drive? Just burn the image and use a real cd/dvd!”
                  I want to underline that this is not a strange idea, as it is a different to change a real cd/dvd from a _real_ cd/dvd rom drive than an image mounted in a _virtual_ drive. In fact I think we have to consider that there are other programs (as Nero image drive or Alcohol 120%) that offer the same utility, so often it is not very simple to recognize each virtual drive and could be simple mount an image (included in an image already mounted) on the same virtual drive; maybe it is a non-linear idea, but may happens…
                  In the end I think that it is the best idea to offer to the user a popup message ( as AmphetaMarinE wrote "This image resides inside the currently mounted image. Please enable more than one virtual drive for successful mounting of nested image files." (thanks!) ) that informs him that there are some tasks on the A-image (that would be unmounted) that is safe not to terminate (and so refuse the operation).
                  Anubi
                  Last edited by Anubi; 06.03.2006, 16:13.

Comment

Originally Posted by arisma
                    What is your operating system, hierro?
                    Windows 2k SP4, but I have tested UDF also on Win98SE OS (on WinXP don't remember...).

But the problem isn't the UDF, is a little bug in the latest Daemon Tools version, with 3.47 version you could mount Image from Image (using different virtual drives).

Comment

Originally Posted by hierro
                      Windows 2k SP4, but I have tested UDF also on Win98SE OS (on WinXP don't remember...).

But the problem isn't the UDF, is a little bug in the latest Daemon Tools version, with 3.47 version you could mount Image from Image (using different virtual drives).

I have Win XP Home Edition SP2, full updated, and I have tried what hierro said: mount the B-image using another virtual drive (that is not currently mounting the A-image): the result is that the winXP hungs up and it is necessary to _reset_ the pc. After this reset, windows was no more capable to start itself, so it has been necessary to use the “last working configuration”. As hierro said, daemon 3.47 was able to boot an image inside another image, for this reason I tried to force the program to mount the B-image on the same virtual drive of the A-image: I supposed that in the new version were included all the features of the older versions, adding new options!
                      I think there is still some work to do… Anubi
                      Last edited by Anubi; 06.03.2006, 16:07.

Comment

I'm still not sure I understand the necessity of having nested images? Why not just have each image individually in their own subdirectory if you really want to keep them sorted? This seems like a waste of time to me. I'm not trying to simply dismiss what you're doing, but I am trying to understand - without much success I might add.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
                          I'm still not sure I understand the necessity of having nested images? Why not just have each image individually in their own subdirectory if you really want to keep them sorted? This seems like a waste of time to me. I'm not trying to simply dismiss what you're doing, but I am trying to understand - without much success I might add.
                          I need it because the only way I can read and see an UDF cd/dvd is mounting it with daemon (or alchool...). And UDF is the only FS that support a file >2GB on DVD. So I can put a big file on an UDF image and then split this image in 2 file <2GB and write it on a dvd...

Comment

Come on - can you insert 2 cds into the same real cd drive? So why is there a message required to tell you the obvious?
                            The point of DT is so that you DONT insert 2 cds.....

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463

The first answer that I could reply is: as it is possible to create nested images, it should be an action supported by DT mounting images inside another one. The daemon tool could not have an unpredictable behaviour, according to his version number, could it?
                              I think is the same to have a .zip file inside a .rar archive. What is the sense? But it is possible to download a lot of such files!
                              I can only report my own experience: I have the necessity to make nested images as I create customized start menu of collection of games. So I have the image of every games and I have to create a big image that contains the files used to the autorun of the dvd and the images of the games. I have to test it works properly before burn it.
                              Just another example: it is possible to download some games that contain inside their images the mini-image to start the game: why could I not try to start the game mounting the mini-image directly from its location (i.e. inside the image of the game)?
                              Don’t worry Jito463, I don’t feel insulted by your opinion!
                              I hope to have express clearly my own ideas.
                              Last edited by Anubi; 11.03.2006, 19:49.

Comment

mounting

can any one tell me why the virtual loader will only mount one image(song) i am new to this site and new to trying to create my cdg disks, i made one and it had all the words and music but all it had on it was one song what a waste of disks , is there another way please any one

Comment

Working...
                                X