No announcement yet.

Making WoW run faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You first need to check what kind of memory you need and how many empty slots are available.
    And also check if your motherboard has a slot for a graphics card (AGP or PCI-E), as not all motherboards with onboard VGA have such a slot.

Comment

k

well thanks for all the information

and by the way even though this computer may have a crappy graphics card or w.e ur talking about, It seems to be running quite well, It's only about 1 1/2 years old now

And its still working fine, before we bought it, the guy who made it also said he could make it into the ultimate gaming machine if needed, so I'm sure we will be able to put a new graphics card into it because I talked to him about it once I think.

thanks again though

Comment

Yes, if you added a decent video card (don't go lower than a GeForce 6200 bare minimum) and added more RAM, you'd have a decent system there to play WoW with. That is providing - of course - that you have an AGP slot to add a decent video card.

Comment

Every PC can be converted into an ultimate gaming machine, just remove everything inside and replace it with better (more expensive) hardware.
          It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend on it.

Don't just believe everything a PC salesman tells you. People who don't know much about hardware are an easy target for them. I wouldn't be surprised if you payed way too much money for your PC.
          Last edited by Reef; 03.03.2006, 16:02.

Comment

I'd say a Radeon 9200 or a Geforce 6200 will work (9200 for sure at 1024X768 no AA. )
            But the RAM, YES! You really Really need more. That prog likes 1gb to 1.5gb, don't believe what the box says.
            Both of thoes will make it a much nice running game.

edit: You could try to increase the amount of system ram your int. video uses, usually from within the BIOS, to see if that will help at all.
            Last edited by Chiefnuts; 08.03.2006, 19:00.
            It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. -Ferris Bueller

Comment

ok

Sorry I havent got back to ya guys, but I don't really think the man who sold us our computer tryed to rip us off. Hes a friend of my mom and the computer was actually pretty cheap

anyways...

I'm going to try and find one of those graphic cards and upgrade my RAM

hopefully this works ^.^

Thank you!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Jaguar4105
                Alright, I made the images of all 5 discs for World of Warcraft
                and I put them in a folder I named virtual drive which is now located in "My Computer."

but I dont know what to do now... so I can get the game running faster

someone help me please
                a friend mine said try running it through a server like funtime phsyiciatric ward he said it works great

Comment

Originally Posted by bob davison
                  a friend mine said try running it through a server like funtime phsyiciatric ward he said it works great
                  Sorry I havent been here to respond in a while, but what exactly is funtime phsyiciatric ward and how do I work it?

Thanks.
                  -Tyler

Comment

Originally Posted by Jaguar4105
                    Sorry I havent been here to respond in a while, but what exactly is funtime phsyiciatric ward and how do I work it?

Thanks.
                    -Tyler
                    I just googled and it looks like that's the name of a private WOW server.
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

What you need to buy

Even if you just buy a graphics card it would be an improvement. The onboard controller you got is an Intel POS. Intel should stick to making Boards and leave the G-cards to the professionals in imo. But yeah for gaming at least a GIG of memory would be advisable.
                      Any Nvidia or ATI, even if its an old one, would be an improvement.
                      Not trying to say the sales guy was trying to screw you, its just that the Intel controller "works" but once you put in a proper g-card you will see what you've been missing, detail in games and how nice the textures actually can look

Comment

eh sounds good

I don't think I have anymore questions..

thanks everyone, and Rustason

Comment

512 MB Should be plenty to run WoW....
                          You would probably gain a couple of fps by upgrading to 1GB of RAM...
                          But my advice would be to upgrade your video card... This should dramatically increase the speed of WoW, and also allow you to turn the detail settings up a bit.
                          The cost of a card capable of running WoW ranges anywhere from US$150 to around US$700.
                          I would probably recommend an nVidia Geforce 6600GT at the moment, as these offer very good performance for a relatively low cost. (In comparison with latest generation high-end video cards.)
                          And they are available in both PCI-E and AGP flavours. (Consult your mainboard manual to find out what kind of video slot you have.)
                          They usually go for around US$200-$250 depending on the brand you choose. Most brands are much the same, with the main difference being in the bundled software, and pretty box.
                          Try for an Albatron if you can find one, as they offer a good quality card at a great price.
                          Last edited by AmphetaMarinE; 05.05.2006, 10:49.
                          SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

Originally Posted by AmphetaMarinE
                            512 MB Should be plenty to run WoW....
                            For WoW I would recommend at least 1 GB. If you only have 512 MB and you enter one of the big cities (or any other crowded place), then you can barely move.
                            I experienced the same thing with other MMORPG's, seems like these games are big memory hogs.

Comment

I do agree... EQ2 with 1.5 GB can be really slow if in crowded place...
                              Carpe diem

Comment

sounds great

yeah hopefully this all pays off
                                thanks again

-Tyler

Comment

Working...
                                X