Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starorce => NEVER Change ur Drive-Letters :P

Oki, my "Problem" so far:

I have made a new XP-Installation. I have a DvD-Player and a DvD-Recorder.

After SP2 and many Xp-Bugfixes i installd DT-4.0 and..

tatttaaaaa

It works GREAT!
    No Problem playing UFO Aftershock and i dont needet to Unplug my DvD's!

But then i have seen that the Drive-Letter from the 4 D-Tools Drvies where not so fine and i desidet to change this using the PC-Administration (Right-Klick on "Arbeitsplatz" => "Verwaltung" .. i have only a German System so i dont know whats this in English ^^)

Oki.. now the Problem: after i have done this, Aftershock wont run. It always says: "Insert CD in another Drive"

K, now i have testet sowaht arround. Deinstalld D-Tools, Deinstalled my DvD's plugged off one and/or bothe DvD's ect.

The only posibility to run Ufo again i have to Plug off my DvD's.

But after i plugged a NEW DvD wich was never Plugged on my PC before.. i can use the DvD-Drive AND play Ufo using D-Tools 4.

So i think, if u set a new Drivename for a Drive u cant Play SF-Protectet Games anymore (i have testet it with Cossacks2 to.. same Problems and same "solutions" ) exept u plug off ur Drives OR plug on Brand-New one; but u cant keep ur old one plugged on ^^ (or u Format ur System :P )

The main Problem is, that Windows seams not to uninstall ALL Settings from ur DvD. If u deinstall and restart ur PC, the "new" (old) DvD/CD-Drive will got his "new" (old) Driveletter again

Any other Solutions? I dont want to Format again :/

You can change drive letters if thats what you mean.
    Go to Computer Management (Right click my computer, manage), scroll to disk management, and rightclick your drives, and choose the option to change drive letter. You won't be able to change it to another letter if that letter is already in use.

I might not have understood your problem properly, because Babel Fish translated "Arbeitsplatz", as "job", and "Verwaltung" as "Administration"!!!

PS. Your english is quite good

Comment

He knows how to change the driveletters. The matter is that he could play StarForce 3 protected games without unplugging his IDE-Cables. But since he changed the driveletters of his DVD-Drives he got to plug them off. He wants to know how to reset the regystry-entries like they were after installing Windows without formating.

Arbeitsplatz == My Computer (At the Desktop)
      Verwaltung == Manage (Rightklick on My Computer)

So I'm also german and I hope you could understand what i tried to say

MfG derflooh

Comment

there is a tool on symantecs website, but i can't seem to find it. it resets the registry exactly the way it was when installing windows, but this is for extreme measures when having lost total control of your pc to viruses,etc, and i wouldn't recommend it anyway. but if you want, you can try it, but really, you should just wait for the ide jammer.

Comment

You can do the same thing without any 3rd party tools. Browse to:

C:\Windows\Repair

and copy the following files:

sam
          security
          software
          system

They do not have any file extensions. These are the original, default registry hives that are created when Windows is first installed on a computer. Copy these to:

C:\Windows\System32\config

Either overwrite or rename the existing files in that directory (you will most like have to do this from the Recovery Console or a WinPE disc, as I doubt Windows will take kindly to overwriting the registry while it's running). This will reset your registry to just like it was when Windows was first installed. All of your software and drivers will have to be reset, along with any modifications you made to your OS. Note that I assume no responsibility for any problems you have with your PC if you follow those instructions. I do NOT recommend doing this, I'm merely providing you with the means if you so choose. Do so at your own risk.

Comment

Could this be a new way around Starforce? Kick the drives out of the registry so they are detected like new drives?
            It's worth a shot.

Comment

Working...
            X