Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why won't twin sectors work with StarForce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't twin sectors work with StarForce?

Anyone knows how StarForce is able to detect if a CD is using twin sectors as a means of emulating DPM? I tried various settings (using A-Ray Scanner) while patching an image (the game's "StillLife", if it matters). SF was always able to detect it's not the original CD.

How does SF achieve this? Looks like magic to me...
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Re: Why won't twin sectors work with StarForce?

Originally Posted by Nikos
    They do (actually it's 'twin blocks'). Read from here: h**p://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=89521&page=2 (#29)
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terramex
      They do (actually it's 'twin blocks'). Read from here: h**p://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=89521&page=2 (#29)
      Hmm, I've read though it now, and it seems that Alcohol's DPM algorithm lacks enough resolution?

Comment

Hmm, I've read though it now, and it seems that Alcohol's DPM algorithm lacks enough resolution?
        How do you mean that ? Alcohol's DPM capabilities comply with SF standards.
        I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

No, Alcohol is not accurate enough - Starforce games don't work with it don't they?

You'll need tools sfcdvd and sfmdf to create accurate DPM data, see my thread for instructions.

The required accuracy is <0,15%, that's why SF 3.x tries up to 1+15 times to get a valid measurement.
          Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

Accurate enough for what (Alcohol never had twinsector patch-options, it's emulating, not "imitating" like Alb's tools) ? Why did (before ISO-Check) or do (with sfcure) mounted images work ? Or RMPS via USB/Firewire ? Or mount a image with good DPM in a virtual drive and measure original angles with sfcdvd -> very stable and accurate results

P.S.: I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing

Comment

Originally Posted by JariK-Tietomedia
              No, Alcohol is not accurate enough - Starforce games don't work with it don't they?
              They do, actually. I have yet to see a single SF protected game that won't work from a backup. The newest I have is Worms 4, and it works perfectly. So does Chaos Theory, StillLife, Colin McRae 2005, and a bunch of others. Never had any kinds of problems.

So I'm wondering; why do they claim that Alcohol's DPM extraction is not good enough?

Comment

Originally Posted by Terramex
                Accurate enough for what (Alcohol never had twinsector patch-options, it's emulating, not "imitating" like Alb's tools) ? Why did (before ISO-Check) or do (with sfcure) mounted images work ? Or RMPS via USB/Firewire ? Or mount a image with good DPM in a virtual drive and measure original angles with sfcdvd -> very stable and accurate results
                Exactly. If backups made with Alcohol work, it means that the extracted DPM is good enough. So, why can't we generate "twin sectors" from Alcohol's DPM curve? I mean with A-Ray Scanner.

Comment

Working...
                X