Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hope that game software companies don't use rootkit DRM software!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope that game software companies don't use rootkit DRM software!!!

Sony was the first one I saw reported to have used a rootkit-based anti-copy protection system. What Sony did is coming back to bite them like a Doberman Pinscher!!!

Rootkits don't fly with me!!!

Yeah, and I already have thought that most anti-copy protection software is bad.

I'm pretty sure that anything like a rootkit with a game would result in a very similar outcome like Sony is experiencing.

Arb

Comment

rootkits on games

Playing devil's advocate(I disagree with doing this though): What if the rootkit could not be activated *unless* the game was running and the driver fixed the race condition for hot unloading as mentioned in Mark's sysinternals blog?
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP
        Sony was the first one I saw reported to have used a rootkit-based anti-copy protection system. What Sony did is coming back to bite them like a Doberman Pinscher!!!

Rootkits don't fly with me!!!

Yeah, and I already have thought that most anti-copy protection software is bad.

I hope they do implement as much DRM / Rootkit crap as possible (As if not Starforce 3.xx is bad enough already.. BSOD ftw!)

That way more customers will experience problems.

Resulting in

More customers realizing the war that is being fought for
        control of their computers

Resulting in

HOPEFULLY Loss of sales & Protests against companies that condone or indulge in such anti-consumer behavior

Resulting in

Hopefully a better world for you and me, where Cd-Emulators are no longer needed as the files are DOWNLOAD+RUN or INSTALL & Throw away the cd.

So to Sony; GOOD JOB! Bring us more!! Destroy us all!

Comment

Interesting perspective.

Arb

Comment

They don't need rootkit if they already install (visible and registered) driver in the system. It gives them total control of OS (they can modify/breakpoint everyhing)

Rootkit gains driver/kernel-level priviledge from user-level app (without procedure of installing driver), and it often hacks kernel to avoid detection and do it's purpose.

Comment

I hadn't thought of that octopus72, so you're saying you can hide filenames and processes and prohibit certain programs from loading without a rootkit?

p.s. Its great that Sony got everyday users talking about rootkits. So professional of them.
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

@Underheaven:
                The rootkit that was installed by the Sony CDs basically hacked the OS so that it would not show up in running processes (among other things). The guy that detected it basically ran across it accidentally with a debugger and wondered wtf it was. He looked into it and enlightened the rest of us about its existence.

Arb

Comment

Dark Arbitor, I do know about rootkits but I wanted to ponder the possibilities of driver-based (no .exe running) rootkit-like-programs. Maybe that's how all rootkits are and it just takes a .exe file to copy the driver to the right place. But that's what I was talking about. Thanks though. Plus... this used to be a shady topic (something only untrustworthy people would be using) but that was before they made everyone in the general population install this type of software with their music cds.
                  Last edited by Underheaven; 18.11.2005, 16:34.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

It's alarming how far companies will go.

Arb

Comment

Originally Posted by instanto
                      I hope they do implement as much DRM / Rootkit crap as possible (As if not Starforce 3.xx is bad enough already.. BSOD ftw!)

That way more customers will experience problems.

Resulting in

More customers realizing the war that is being fought for
                      control of their computers

Resulting in

HOPEFULLY Loss of sales & Protests against companies that condone or indulge in such anti-consumer behavior

Resulting in

Hopefully a better world for you and me, where Cd-Emulators are no longer needed as the files are DOWNLOAD+RUN or INSTALL & Throw away the cd.

So to Sony; GOOD JOB! Bring us more!! Destroy us all!
                      you're forgetting the key point in their favour....

people forget! and very quickly too. they rely on this and it always works.... unless we keep it alive.
                      Athlon X2 3800
                      2gb DDR400
                      6800nu -> 16x6
                      2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Comment

Working...
                      X