Boycott Starforce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boycott Starforce

I found some interesting article about starforce.

Must read last paragraph.

Boycott Starforce

Introduction

A lot of PC gamers have joined together, and decided not to purchase any PC games that use the Starforce copy protection method. This site is here to provide information about the Starforce protection method, so that you can make your own informed decision.

I will provide a list of games that install the Starforce device drivers, as well as a list of publishers that incorporate Starforce. If you wish to join this boycott, we encourage you to write the publisher, or post on their forum, and let them know.

This site tries to continue the work of R.I.P. boycottstarforce.org, we have no clue why it went down.
    What is Starforce?

Starforce is a software copy protection tool installed by PC game publishers, which is designed to prevent the casual copying of retail CDROM applications. It installs as a hidden device driver, without the end-user's knowledge or consent.
    Why are we boycotting it?

Starforce has received criticism for installing its own device driver onto computers. The Starforce drivers are often linked to system instability and computer crashes. If these problems occur, the end-user would be unware as to the cause of the problem, and would be helpless to solve the problem.

Moreover, the Starforce drivers, installed on your system, grant ring 0 (system level) privileges to any code under the ring 3 (user level) privileges. Thus, any virus or trojan can get OS privileges and totally control your system. Since Windows 2000, the Windows line security and stability got enhanced by separating those privileges, but with the Starforce drivers, the old system holes and instabilities are back and any program (or virus) can reach the core of your system by using the Starforce drivers as a backdoor.
    Here is the original link

So what do u think??
    Last edited by ISO; 23.12.2005, 09:11.
    Boycott Starforce

Supposedly the privilege escalation vulnerability has been fixed. There's so many comments that could be made about StarForce- excuse me if I don't reply with a multi-page essay.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

The only real issue i have with copy protections such as these is their strong anti-software stance with legit programs without any warning on the game's packaging.

My only personal issue with starforce is its encrypted driver that runs in ring0. I simple dont trust it therefor i just wont install a sf game.
      My own system development in ring0 is unstable enough let alone let some company do a whole range of encryption/decryption in ring0 :P

Comment

Working...
      X