PLEASE HELP: Different Virtual Image Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE HELP: Different Virtual Image Files

I am very new at virtual image files, and I don't get the different among the different files...

Like what's the different between .iso and .cdd?

Thanks!

The difference is in the copy protection info that can be stored within the files. MDS/MDF is the best option, as it can support storing all necessary information.

Comment

.iso, .ccd, .mds/.mdf,... are different image formats, in a way like .zip and .rar are different archive formats. They differ in what additional information they can store about the disc (fancy stuff like subchannel information, bad sectors, weak sectors, data positioning etc, which are important for different copy protections).

.mds/.mdf is one of the most potent file formats, covering all important copy protection mechanisms. At the moment, you best choice for creating such images is Alcohol 120% or Alcohol 52% from http://www.alcohol-software.com/.
      "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

I just make a back up of my Starcraft game and I got 2 kinds of file.

one is a MDS File 1 KB whle the other is an MDF file with a size of 714866 kb (700MB+)

my question is this.

is there a way to get a smaller size for the MDF file ?
        a friend of mine make an image file from his Warcraft 3 and he got a size for both MDS and MDF file below 100kb. Soo thus Im wondering if there is a way to get a similar sizes for these images. Im using the Alcohol 120% by the way to make he images.

Comment

Try Quickmount or ISODir.
          Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
          Peace Through Power

Comment

Working...
          X