Diablo 2, Vista, DT Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo 2, Vista, DT Problem

I want to run Diablo II without a CD using a Vista - Business 32-bit version of windows. What I've done is made an MDF and MDS images using Alcohol 120%. Later I ran Daemon's Tools to mount the image, successful. It auto-ran and I was ready to play, however, once i actually tried to get into the game, my computer froze into a perpetual disc spinning icon we see so often.
    I've tried it multiple times, switched different cds to obtain a perfect image file, but in the end, it continues to freeze.
    I'm using a brand new computer....2.4ghz dual core...blah blah, including a new DVD-RW/CD-RW drive from sony. I'm out of ideas, was wondering if anyone could help in this situation.
    Thanks,
    Xenn

And does it work with original cds ? Because Vista migth not like the Diablo

Comment

It looks like the game won't work, at least not in Vista Ultimate x64. Not even by using compatibility mode. Game.exe just runs, but does nothing. I had to force close it from Task Manager.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
        It looks like the game won't work, at least not in Vista Ultimate x64. Not even by using compatibility mode. Game.exe just runs, but does nothing. I had to force close it from Task Manager.
        I am actually playing through (necro lvl 64 HELL) with a couple of buddies of mine. This game as far as I can remember has always had problems with backups. Just making an image has never worked as far as I know. I had to use a D2 Loader, which is a seperate exe from game.exe and it works beautifully. This file can be found SOMEWHERE on the internet. If you would like more info on just getting it up and running, then PM me and I can help you further. Oh, and I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Comment

Oh, I'm sure there are ways to make it work, but I meant that with the original executable - patched to the latest version - it does not run in VU x64.

Comment

I don't know about the x64 version of Vista, but I know for a fact that Diablo II with the latest patch runs on Vista x32. There are computers on which loading literally takes AGES (well, not ages, but more than 5 minutes), I think that was related to the graphics driver and/or the Diablo II renderer.

Just to make sure, try to see if this happens with the original disc as well. If so, it's not copy protection related. Try updating your graphics driver and try using a different renderer in Diablo II.
            "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

it requires 1.5 gigabytes of ram to run in vista cause of a memory leak so if you dont have 1.5 gigabytes of ram irecommend getting it or downgrading to windows xp

Comment

I dont think you are having this problem, but if you are, here is the vista way to install your diablo 2.

How to: Play Diablo 2 on Windows Vista! - RPG Forums
                (Make sure you have the latest driver. If you don't, it is the third link in the blizzard tech quote)

To install the drive, once you install Diablo II expansion, double click on the patch and it will automatically install.

Ok, once you do that, to get Diablo 2 to run without the cd was quite simple for me.

1. put in your Expansion CD
                2. click start and open my computer (in the case of vista, just computer)
                3. right click on the Diablo 2 icon and click open (just double clicking on it will open the installer).
                4. Hold down control and select all the .mpq files. Right click the last selected file (doesn't matter which one you right click, just so long as they all stay selected) and select copy.
                5. Find where you installed Diablo 2, for most people it will be c:/program files/diablo II. Go to it and paste your copied files.

If you get any messages that say the file already exists, select the "don't copy" option. That should allow Diablo 2 to run without a cd. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X