Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[REQ 4 EXPERTS] Why do Starforce "Fixed Images" work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REQ 4 EXPERTS] Why do Starforce "Fixed Images" work?

Hallo, I'd like to know how the so called Fixed Images for starforce games (and other perhaps) are done.

Examples:
    EDIT - please DO NOT link to external images 'n stuff :!:

I actually tried everything with gangland that I know for sure to be a starforce game.
    Achol, rpm emulation, ide disconnection etc, did not worked, then I found that 7k image and the game started fine (mounted, noide,rpm emulation).

The "fixed image" is something like an empty alchol image. Do you know the tools/processes involved in its creation.

Thank you.

here is good description (not sure about it, I'm no expert)

Page 1 of 5 - Starforce 3.3.x blacklisting specifics discovered - posted in Development Suggestions For Future Versions: Ok, today someone created first working mini-image of starforce-protected game Soldiers : Heroes of World War II. Supposedly from the source someone chinese... Starforce base version there is 3.3.36.1, when updated with latest patch - some 3.3.37.2... Those high versions are known to blacklist dtools/alcohol image drives... So i set out to investigate. Some interesting...

and here is news about starfearce security:

:roll:

Comment

Hmm, funny exploit ...
      But this should happen sooner or later I think as such vulnerabiluty existed at least 1.5 years or even more and still exists in their drivers. Strange only NOW it was really exploited. But I guess SF knew what they were doing. and now, as they seem aware, they maybe will do something with it.

Comment

lol, the text file is from Locutus :mrgreen:

Lately I noticed highly increased use of MY nickname

Damn, maybe I should find a new nick...

Comment

Sorry for the link, thank you Dogma for the excellent answer, very interesting.

Comment

Working...
          X