Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neverwinter Nights Deluxe Edition (SecuROM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neverwinter Nights Deluxe Edition (SecuROM)

This morning, I saw the Deluxe Edition of Neverwinter Nights in a store, so I grabbed it. (The box is wonderful, by the way! I highly recommend this package, especially since it's hard to find these days.)

So, I scanned it with A-Ray Scanner, and it says: SecuROM 4.76.00.0051

I know that some early securom 4.x version actually don't need DPM extraction at all, so I made an image using the "Normal CD" profile, and checked the ingnore errors option (because of securom's last sector on the disc). No DPM, of course.

Note: I *did not* read subchannel data!

The mounted image works! I thought early securom versions use subchannel data? What's going on here?
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Do you have the latest game version ( 1.66 )? AFAIK the CD-Checks were removed. You can even run the game without cd / mounting the image.

F.P.

Comment

Originally Posted by fordprefect
      Do you have the latest game version ( 1.66 )? AFAIK the CD-Checks were removed. You can even run the game without cd / mounting the image.
      It's version 1.11. From nwconfig.ini:
      Code:
      [Version]
      Game=1.11
      [Registry]
      LastInstalledVersion=0
      Location=C:\Games\NeverwinterNights\NWN
      Version=1.11
      Flavour=Retail
      It won't start without a CD (or mounted image). I'm confused as hell? :?:

Comment

The game's update tool reports:

1.59.8037 English

(I though the entry in the *.ini file was the right version number.)

Comment

i agree about the securom module being removed. since the game is old and they made their money before this version, and no doubt it costs much less then a full game and so they don't have to pay royalty costs to sony.

just use aray scanner to confirm on both the physiscall cd's and the installed directory. most game companies reomove the protection (i say most) once they release the "budget" version, much later then the initial release. they try to maximise the cash intake so why would they still eant to pay royalties to another party ?

Comment

The version number in nwconfig.ini is is the game version. Mine says 1.66 and I don't need a cd / image to play.
            You should update your game to the latest version, MANY bugs were fixed.
            Regarding your actual question ( subchannel data ) - I don't know.

F.P.

Comment

Originally Posted by ß
              i agree about the securom module being removed.
              Maybe in the later patches. The version I have, is securom protected. (A-Ray Scanner says the game's *.exe after the installation is protected with the securom version I mentioned in a previous post.)

And as I also mentioned, the game won't start without a CD in the drive, so the protection is not only in the *.exe, but is also used. It's just that I find it *very* strange that the Image works without it containing securom subchannel data (and without securom emulation in dtools, of course). I cannot explain it.

Comment

Originally Posted by fordprefect
                You should update your game to the latest version, MANY bugs were fixed.
                Yep, but the downlaod is just too big, and I'm on dial-up (ISDN) :cry:

Comment

Seems that some Securom 4.7 protected games don't use subchannel data:

Alcohol is CD / DVD burning copying backup recording duplication emulation and creation software.

5. -=SecuROM *NEW* (<4.8x)=- (Sony DADC)

WARNING: Some games protected by SecuROM 4.7x (like NWN for example) use media physical signature information instead of subchannel data - in this case look below for SecuROM *NEW* (>4.8x) section.

F.P.

Comment

IIRC NWN implemented the media check later, maybe they checked their special sector in release version only.
                    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
                      IIRC NWN implemented the media check later, maybe they checked their special sector in release version only.
                      Interesting. I guess they had compatibilty problems with some drives and removed the check. The expansion packs (the Deluxe Edition comes with the expansion packs) re-introduce the media check, but it's not Securom 4.7 anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X