X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Kitna
    I'd enable "Skip reading errors"
    Why?

but make sure "Fast skip error blocks" is disabled.
    There's no such option at all, actually.

Also enable "Read subchannel data"
    People, learn to read the threads properly

We're talking about DVDs.
    To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by hroudel
      by experienced people, who makes working copies of starforce(without emulators almost 1:1 copy. i say almost!!!!), is enough to make copy with DPM and very slow speed. 1x is the best(plextor is for this my favourite. may be toshiba, worst pioneer) No subchans or RMPS or Skip reading Errors, Fast error skip. nothing else. U can try it after release date

And, as a sidenote, the only way to burn an alomost 1:1 backup of a starforce or securom (or anything that has to do with DPM) protected game, is with Plextor's VariRec method. And as far as I know, Alcohol doesn't support VariRec (BlindWrite does, I think).
      Last edited by Nikos; 29.10.2005, 07:53.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
        Do you actually get read erros, or do you enable it just for fun?
        I've enabled this because, if there is an error when it's disabled, Alcohol will abort the reading process.
        This could happen on securom protected dvd's (cd's)
        when the dvd is scratched.
        But when the dvd isn't scratched you wouldn't need to enable this option, so when the dvd is brandnew you only have to enable reading the dpm!
        But i normally enable ignore read errors to consider that Alc aborts the process.
        But nikos said you could have an broken image(when there are read errors), so i would disable it in the future!
        Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

First, it is good to know if your drive's motor uses CLV or CAV at 1x. For good DPM extraction, you need to select the lowest speed at which the DVD drive uses CAV. In my case (NEC ND-3520), this is 2x. At 1x, no DPM extraction is possible at all (my NEC does CLV at 1x). This is probably the reason why many people report that their drives cannot do DPM at 1x, even though with DPM it's good to read at the lowest possible speed. For example, if the drive uses CLV at 1x and 2x, DPM will only work with 4x speed and higher.

CLV = Constant Linear Velocity
          CAV = Constant Angular Velocity

With CLV, the data transfer rate is the same across the whole DVD (because the disc spins faster at the beginning, then slows down the further away the laser gets from the center). With CAV, the tranfer rate increases, because the disc spins with the same speed at all times (the angular velocity stays constant, and therefore we have a stable RPM).

To do DPM, you drive's motor must sustain a constant RPM, and therefore, you'll need CAV. I'm not aware of any DVD drive that can do the job with CLV. If anyone knows about one, please correct me.

(Note that we're talking about DVDs here, not CDs, where the majority of drives can do DPM with CLV.)
          This is helpful.
          So i've looked into the properities of the px-716a:
          Read :
          DVD-ROM CD-ROM
          6-16x CAV 20-48x CAV
          5-12x CAV 17-40x CAV
          3-8x CAV 14-32x CAV
          2-5x CAV 10-24x CAV
          2x CLV 8x CLV
          4x CLV

So the best speed for the px-716 in reading the dpm of dvd's is
          between 2x and 5x, it's right?
          Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Originally Posted by AnalCobra
            But when the dvd isn't scratched you wouldn't need to enable this option, so when the dvd is brandnew you only have to enable reading the dpm!
            But i normally enable ignore read errors to consider that Alc aborts the process.
            But nikos said you could have an broken image(when there are read errors), so i would disable it in the future!
            Well, it's not suitable for burning as a backup, or installing from (you would get a "circular redundancy" error from Windows). But for just mounting and running the game from, it's just fine.

Comment

Originally Posted by AnalCobra
              This is helpful.
              So i've looked into the properities of the px-716a:
              Read :
              DVD-ROM CD-ROM
              6-16x CAV 20-48x CAV
              5-12x CAV 17-40x CAV
              3-8x CAV 14-32x CAV
              2-5x CAV 10-24x CAV
              2x CLV 8x CLV
              4x CLV

So the best speed for the px-716 in reading the dpm of dvd's is
              between 2x and 5x, it's right?
              Yes, 5x seems to be the best speed. The "2-5x" notation means just that; at the beginning of the disc it reads at 2x, while at the end it's 5x. Stable RPM, with increasing tranfer rate, as it should be.

But since it says "2-5x", which is the exact setting to use in programs? You can always find out for sure using the "Nero CD-DVD Speed" utility. Do a "disc quality" check at 1x. If the reported tranfer rate stays at 1x the whole time, it's CLV. For CAV, the speed increases while reading. Use 1x first, then 2x and so forth, until you hit the setting where the drive starts using CAV.
              Last edited by Nikos; 29.10.2005, 18:52.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos

And, as a sidenote, the only way to burn an alomost 1:1 backup of a starforce or securom (or anything that has to do with DPM) protected game, is with Plextor's VariRec method.
                Also a sidenote: It's Blindwrite's 'Varirate' using Premium's Gigarec function.

P.S.: Premium doesn't "like" Starforce' absolute density
                I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Working...
                X