How to properly disable IDE channels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly disable IDE channels?

G'day, having dramas disabling my IDE channels. As far as I can tell you're suppose to disable any CD/DVD drives (even emulated ones?) via the device manager.

Can someone correct me?

Thanks,
    Rob

For some games, it'll work if you disable your drives with Starforce Nightmare.

With more recent copy protections such as StarForce 3.6 that won't work anymore though, you'll need to unplug your optical drives (remove the actual power or IDE cable from the drives).
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

wat about a laptop? how do u manually disable it? sorry but im really bad at IT stuff..

Comment

With most laptops you can remove the whole drive (check the bottom of the laptop). However if you can't and StarForce Nightmare etc. don't work, I'm afraid there's not much you can do right now.

Comment

I had to pull the ribbon cable from my optical drives. If I pulled the power and left the ribbon cable attached, then none of the primary or secondary drives (HDDs on primary, opticals on secondary) were detected in the BIOS. Weird stuff. I'm using an Asus A8V Deluxe.

Arb

Comment

I've got a system that hangs for about 60 seconds on a black screen then boots normally (when I leave an IDE cable attached to an unpowered unit). If anyone has this happen just wait and don't power the machine off.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Underheaven, is that possibly because of wrong jumper settings after unplugging a drive? Did you look into that?

Comment

Working...
              X