Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressed Image Format DAA Support Notes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed Image Format DAA Support Notes ?

Hi,

I noticed this thread on the forum:

In a way, I thought this missed the point a little on why the PowerISO format is so useful, so I'll briefly describe that :

1. DAA is a CD/DVD image format which can inlude full DVD boot information.
    2. DAA images can be mounted with it's virtual drive software (though currently not with DaemonTools).
    3. DAA images (unlike *all* other imaging formats that I know) can be *compressed* images (this is the uniquely important point !)

Point 3 is why I think DAA is a very important format and will hopefully be included in DaemonTools

Here is an example ...

I have an archive of books in html and chm formats that I keep on my hard drive, that I update with new documents when I get them. This folder is 7.98 GB in size and includes over 75,000 files.

Putting this onto a DVD is out of the question, and ISO / NRG or other formats do not help at all.

However, I simply created a DAA archive of this, which is compressed, so the size of the image is exactly 4.36 GB. I've burned *that* to a DVD and now I have access to my books
    at all times. BUT, I need to use the PowerISO virtual drive instead of using DaemonTools. This is a shame.

PowerISO support in DaemonTools is good for DaemonTools as it continues to make DaemonTools the defacto standard for mounting DVD image formats and is also good for PowerISO as it makes them the market leader in compressible DVD formats (actually, the *only* company that do a compressible DVD image format !)

This is great functionality, and when I realised I could create DVD's with 8 GB of compressed files on them that I could then mount and access immediately (note, this is completely unlike 7z or rar or zip, try reading a heavily linked html document that is inside a zip ! you need to decompress the whole thing !!!) without needing dual-layer disks for that, I was completely sold on the DAA format for this functionality that no other CD/DVD image format offers.

If possible, could you add DAA support to a future relaease of DaemonTools please for the above reasons !?

Best Regards / Thanks,

Roy.
Working...
X