Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock-up while trying to read a certain file from an image

Hello.

I am using Daemon Tools 4.03. While emulating a CD image (.ccd with associated .img and .sub), I am unable to read a certain file when the above image is mounted in Daemon Tools. Specifically, the application that tries to read the file (a 37 MB .wav) locks up. It is impossible to kill the application from the task manager; I assume it gets stuck in a kernel-mode operation. The only fail-proof way I found to get this application un-stuck is to unmount the HDD volume hosting the CD image (for example with chkdsk D: /X where D: is the HDD partition on which the CD image is located), then unmounting the CD image from Daemon Tools. If I try to unmount the image from Daemon Tools without first unmounting the HDD partition, Daemon Tools displays a "Please wait" box, and locks up as well.

I have run a disk surface scan on the HDD partition on which the CD image is located, and found no errors. I have tried reading the problematic file with Explorer, FAR, cmd.exe - they all lock up in the same way. Programs like IsoBuster have no problems extracting the abovementioned .wav file.

I just downloaded Alcohol 120% for testing, and oddly enough, the same image emulated with Alcohol has the same problem! I am assuming that something is wrong with my CD image, and the OS CD-ROM driver is having trouble reading it, thus causing a sort of infinite loop inside the driver code. I have tried moving away the sub-channel file and emulating only the main image (.img), but the problem persisted.

If anyone has any suggestions on ways I can fix my CD image, or help track down the problem, I'd be thankful. I am willing to cooperate and provide information the developers require. Thanks!

Tried to re-create the image from original yet? Also try to use another image file format, e.g. Alcohol's mds/mdf.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Hi,

The problem is, I don't have the original any more. The CD is so scratched it's unreadable.
      I was hoping of fixing the image somehow, if that's possible. Nevertheless, why does XP's driver freeze when reading from the disk? That's a serious bug and can be used to create a DoS CD. A CD that can freeze your PC! :o I might actually try to burn the image and see if the bug stays with the real CD. Although really scratched disks do almost the same thing. I wonder if it's possible to simulate a scratch on a CD image. OK, I'm going off-topic here.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if simply unpacking the image and creating a new one would work. The image is from a game (Worms:Armageddon) and I think it has some old Laserlok protection (no Daemon emulation options are needed to overcome it).

Salutations from Sunny Moldova,
      -- Vladimir

Comment

Working...
      X