Daemon Tools 4.08HE upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools 4.08HE upgrade?

I have been away from the forums for several months, happily using Daemon Tools 4.08HE with no problems.

Then in the Kaspersky forums someone claimed he was having some problems caused by DT 4.08 and one of the other posters said he should upgrade to a new version of DT. While I don't believe his problems were caused by DT (and I posted that) I decided maybe I would upgrade anyway... although maybe I should just think of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" axiom ;-))

Now I see that there is a whole bunch of Daemon Tools applications and apparently DT has become a commercial application sold by another entity... Disk-Soft?

Now I am wondering if the equivalent upgrade for DT4.08 would be "Daemon Tools Lite" then??

Not being particularly fond of "Lite" applications, if that is the situation, I would probably tend to just buy "DAEMON Tools Pro Advanced" if I were to upgrade.

But on the description of "DAEMON Tools Pro Advanced" there is a statement that reads:

Please note:
    - an Internet connection is necessary to use DT Pro and DT Pro is activated via internet

I am concerned about what that means exactly... I can see using the internet to activate a product, but having an internet connection to USE it? Why? Does that mean that I couldn't just mount an image and leave it mounted all the time and expect it to work whether or not I had an internet connection at a given moment in time?

Right now I have for example an image of Rosetta Stone mounted in a DT drive, and each time I boot the computer it autoruns and I am in the program with no action necessary by me... much less whether or not the internet connection is active. Have things changed so that this would not function in the same manner anymore??

DTools Lite is the same standard DTools application that you've used for a long time, it's simply renamed to match the rest of the products now offered. As for the activation, you do not need to be connected to the internet 24/7. However, after 3-4 weeks without contacting the activation servers, the advanced functions of DTools Pro (image creation and such) will no longer work until it's allowed to access the internet and reactivate. But the virtual drives will still work like normal regardless of the main programs activation status.

Comment

Note that vIDE support is an "advanced" function, and that vIDE support does not function on x64 versions of XP. I had purchased DT Pro literally within 24 hours of the release of the x64 version, largely because I was drooling over vIDE support...

Comment

Windows XP y64 will not be included, it's not worth to develope vIDE for x64.
        Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
        Peace Through Power

Comment

wrong topic

Comment

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
            Windows XP y64 will not be included, it's not worth to develope vIDE for x64.
            Now, for insight into my purchasing choice, can you find where/how this was even suggested back when initial x64 support was being developed (as I said, purchased within 24 hours of initial x64 release -- was literally checking the site daily)? As opposed to "x64 support" and "vIDE" being two of the primary new features in version 4, with no mention of any limitations on said support?

UPDATE to previous paragraph: I should have said 21 minutes after LocutusofBorg posted the post about x64 support being released in the "Disappointment" thread (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/disa...t-t6790p5.html). =)

Personally, I'm running under the assumption that the driver model dramatically changed again between XP and Vista? It was semi-stable between 2k, 2k3, and XP.

Anyways, the main purpose of my previous post was to inform the OP that vIDE was considered an "advanced" feature (as noone had mentioned such), and to also make it clear that if they happened to use XP x64 that said feature is simply unavailable regardless (both of which may be issues for the OP, particularly the first as he talks like he expects to not have an active internet connection with some frequency -- which would impact access to or status of vIDE drives on supported platforms once "advanced" features are disabled, would it not).
            Last edited by Schadrach; 24.01.2008, 00:40.

Comment

Working...
            X