Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making an image of an RMPS disc

Hi,

Having a few problems making an immage of a protected disk i keep getting a read error a sector 221391 out of 221395

what i need to do is replicate the read error (bad sector) at that location ...i have tried various settings with both Daemon and Alcohol but no luck ... i know i may be clutching at straws but if somone could tell me how to make a bad sector it would be with thanks

i sort of get the idea i need a hex editor ..??

thanks !

And which copy protection is on that disk?
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

This is part of a 2 disk program disk one has Secrom 7 on it and disk two (the one I have problems with shows no protection but has no executable files on it only data)

The disk I have is itself a rmps needed copy and runs with rmps emulation enabled but someone has added a genuine bad sector on the copy (no it is not scratched) and I think that this is deliberate and part of the copy protection

I have tried reading the disk at 1x speed but it keeps showing an error at the same position and needless to say the program will not start with it in the drive

Comment

which tool are you using to create the image?
        Did you enable an option like "Ignore bad blocks" in DT Pro?

Comment

This bad sector is normal (by design) and indeed part of copy protection (Securom).

Comment

The disks I have are themselves copies disk 2 has a real bad sector (the copy disk) so someone has deliberately edited the image and then burnt it with a bad sector

I have used DT and alcohol and clone cd but all report a read error at the same sector so the copy cd has a genuine bad sector on it!!

I have used most reading speeds and all do the same thing

None of the copies I make will run

Thanks

Comment

making an image of an RMPS disc

Try to disable RMPS emulation in BOTH Alcohol *AND* DAEMON Tools before making the image. I can't remember the other settings you need in Alcohol or DT Pro to rip the disc as I haven't done this in a while.
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

No tried that all that happens is the copy always says RMPS needed despite re enabling the emulation

I am beginning to think whoever made this disk deliberately added the bad sectors to it so when you make a copy DT or Alcohol will emulate them and cause it to crash the bad sector is right at the end of the disk is there a way to edit the image so DT will not emulate the bad sectors it red form the disk??

As these disks are an rmps needed copy they should not have any bad sectors on them the disk is not scratched or damaged

Thanks

Comment

RMPS does not mean disc may not contain bad sectors - if image was burned in RAW mode all bad sectors will be automatically replicated on backup CD no matter RMPS was enabled or not.

Comment

Try to run from your image file instead of burning the CD. This will help to solve the problems of ripping the CD correctly, then you can try to make a burn of it later. So I would start over and rip with RMPS on and RMPS off and see if either image works for you.
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Why don't you just try to make a copy of the original discs? There's no point in making a copy of a copy.

Comment

If I had the original disks I would!!

Comment

Working...
                        X