Error 25057 - How I fixed this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error 25057 - How I fixed this

Ok, first off, a bit about why this error occured. Apparently AMD64's give some goofy problems, as well as custom boot screens, and themes, other virtual cds, Nero, the whole 9 yards, basicly I had everything wrong prior to trying to install. Took me about 2 hours trying combinations of everyones suggestions but this is what I've had to do to get DaemonTools 347 to install. I figured I would post what I had to do as others apparently have a ton of problems with this also.

Edit my boot.ini file in my c: (which is a HIDDEN file for the total N00B's)

Dont even think about try making your ini file look like mine, I have a dual boot system so unless you do too, you're asking for trouble. But this is what mine looks like:

Original:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro Pirated Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="2000 Server" /fastdetect

Modified:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro Pirated Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro Service Pack 2" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="2000 Server" /fastdetect

Booted from 2nd option in XP to bypass custom boot screen and use AlwaysOff option (AMD64 fix, so I had 2 problems there).

If you have a /KERNEL= line in your boot.ini it may need to be removed, like if you have a Sony boot screen. I had to use my original SP2 boot screen with the /NoExecute=AlwaysOff Option (AMD64 problem I guess).

If you do get it to install by changing your boot.ini it appears to be safe to use your original boot.ini after installation.

PS: I suggest duplicating the original line you need to modify in case your system fails to boot from your modified line in your boot.ini

You might want to just make your boot.ini look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro for installing Daemon Tools" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro unmodified" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Next Problem: Themes. One of the other posts I read said you have a customzed themes thing going on like StyleXP, you might need to kill it. Right click on my computer, go to Manage, go to services, and STOP your StyleXP theme (if its running, it really doesnt need to be and your probably just wasting memory), also find your Themes service and STOP that service. Your themes should now be gone, but not to worry, as these services start automatically, the next time you reboot they will start again. This is the LAST thing I found I had to do. As I build PC's for a living, when I install windows, I put on my company logo and boot screen. I went a bit far on mine and customized my logon screen, theme, icon sets, and pretty much everything I could. Still having a pain of a time remodifying SP2 boot screen with Microsoft authorized customized boot screen software (which still sucks btw).

Kill your THEMES process if its running.

Driver Ports: By default it sets to d347... change that to some other number that matches in both fields. I tried a couple but did find that I had to change my numbers to something other than the defaults. like n999... and I left the last ones like ...prt and whatever the other one was alone. This is done from the installation process.

Extra programs and Anti Viruses:

Other software like anti spyware, and anti virus will watch for changes to your registry. Daemon tools most likely needs registry keys to be changed or installed for the software to work so if you've got something like Spybot's TEA TIMER running (which prevents almost all changes to your registry) you'll have to close that program that prevents changes. Other software like Norton (which is just flat out crap) may need to be disabled, or completely terminated, or if it runs as a service, you'll have to STOP that service. Look for things like other Virtual CD programs, Alcohol 120%, Anti Viruses, Registry Health, Anti Spyware, Anti Viruses, pc protectors, garbage programs, spyware & viruses, etc. Roxio apparently has to be completely removed as it causes tons of problems. 3 finger salute (Ctrl+Alt+Del for the N00b's), kill extra processes also.

Reboot: Certain programs, if terminated may tell you that you have to restart your computer. DONT! The error in my case was caused by MULTIPLE THINGS so if you stop your themes service, then stop Norton and it says reboot, your themes service will start up again so DO NOT REBOOT. Any changes to your Boot.ini will require a reboot which is fine, but like I said multiple things can contribute to 25057 errors. ALL problems must be resolved before software can install. Personally I think its a shame that so many things can contribute to the same problem. I partially fault the programmers but also understand that it is incredibly difficult to account for compatibility with everyones software.

---------

About my box: My setup is rare, but probably not unique. AMD64 3800+ (problem) with dual SATA WD Raptor Drives (no problems) in RAID 1 for speed (oh and partitioned, XP on pri partition, I experienced NO problems from the partition), DUAL BOOT XP Pro SP2 w/ custom boot screen (problem) and Win2K Server (havent tried installing on that partition yet), custom logon screen (no problem), customized themes (via StyleXP, I've tried others but like it better, it does NOT run as a service but my THEMES service does, that caused problems also), 6 Hard Drives (4 physical drives, but partitioned, IDE's and several USB 2.0 drives, no problems) I have Nero 6, Roxio, PhatNoise (another program I had to kill to get it to work, its a Kenwood thing for their Car HD's due to a CD watching software). I usually turn 99% of auto running software off as all it does is bog down my system. I have NO anti virus, and I have NO viruses (mostly because I dont try to download music labeled songname.exe), Kenwood stuff tends to act funny without a service called PNagent (PhatNoise), so like I said, I did have to kill that also.

I had tried uninstalling all the rest of any Nero and Roxio software to see if that was the culprit, but apparently it was not. It appears as long as the software is NOT running, it probably wont conflict. Nero WAS installed but not running, Roxio was NOT installed.

-------Why did I post this?---------

Certain errors are a major pain in the ass to fix, especially if there are multiple causes to it, so please dont get all bent out of shape for me trying to summarize what I had to finally do in order to get Daemon 347 to install. If you cant say anything nice, please dont say anything at all. Im also sure that there are more things that can contribute to having ONE problem installing so if anyone has anything to add, like what you did to fix your errors, I encourage you to add to this thread. For anyone else that this post helped, please say so and what you had to do.

Edited by NetSoerfer: I highlighted the ban reasons... I don't believe it... *shir*
    Last edited by NetSoerfer; 06.11.2005, 02:53.
Working...
X