Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools and antivirus software?

OK,

Firstly i want to say that i am not trying to have a go at DT for integrating some ad's to make some money i understand that development costs and you have to recover it BUT..

It is quite annoying that to install the software I have to disable my antivirus software just because the setup extracts the adware built-in to the lite version to my temp folder before starting.

Yes I know it's optional to install it but is there a way for it to stay compressed until you actualy agree to install it - that way most people can leave their antivirus on when installing.

And before someone tries to flame me saying you only need to install it once this is true if you dont own a few computers not to mention that Windows isn't the stablest of operating systems so you're never too far from reformatting, which can get worse depending on your activities.

If it wasn't for the years of trust I have in Daemon Tools, I would have seen my Antivirus pop up with that message and NEVER used that software again.

I am not asking for this to be removed, just asking if there is some way it can be left compressed or in a format that antiviruses will not pick up until i say I want to install it.

Danny

The adware that gets detected by anti-virus software is removed but no problems will happen with the DAEMON Tools install process right?
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

We will think about your suggestions - well worth to think about them!

Comment

just to clarify - i can not install daemon tools without disabling my anti virus because for some reason when my AV (sophos antivirus) detects some spyware the deamon tools setup title becomes "1" and has some random text where the intro should be before failing dramtically when you click next.

If my AV just popped up i wouldn't have bothered even mentioning anything as like you say i dont have to install it and my AV has already stopped it executing

P.S. sorry for the delay in responding I have been away

Comment

Seems like maybe there could be a check "if advertising program is deleted" to fix installer hang. But I never used Sophos AV so i can't do any testing to reproduce failed install.
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I can make some screenshots of the failure and provide you with any other information if you tell me what you need.

If it helps with the development and stability of the app then I am all for it - just need to let me know what needs doing.

And Sophos doesn't delete the adware - it simply stops you from being able to access it so you could possible (if you could do it quickly enough) reproduce the error by denying everyone access to the adware and running the setup launcher. You would obviously need to be running Windows 2000 Pro or above with NTFS file system to be able to set the security settings however.

I think you would need to work with an already extracted version of the installer to recreate the error by denying access to the installer but it might work.

Thanks
            Danny

Comment

i have the same problem! but i use another anitvirus software, look here

in my post!

yesterday i disabled the guard and installed the adware, after installed i see, for the time as the adware is active i have permanently a data connection! What Downloaded the Adware? in 5 minutes i havé a traffic about 10MB!!!!!!

my firewall protocoll say me, the adware uses 2 task! the first task used 1 data connection and the second task (the exe file from adware) used 2 data connection.

Comment

Originally Posted by moonie View Post

in my post!

yesterday i disabled the guard and installed the adware, after installed i see, for the time as the adware is active i have permanently a data connection! What Downloaded the Adware? in 5 minutes i havé a traffic about 10MB!!!!!!

my firewall protocoll say me, the adware uses 2 task! the first task used 1 data connection and the second task (the exe file from adware) used 2 data connection.
                This thread is ONLY for people who can't finish installing.
                the modern world:
                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by moonie View Post

in my post!

If your having the same problem as me i don't see why you didn't temporarily disable your antivirus install Daemon Tools Lite (yes this is the free version) and during the install untick the option which installs the optional Adward module.

My problem or query was to ask if it was possible for the adware to be stored in a format indetectable by antivirus software until it is installed meaning that installations will always succeed and never fail if your AV detects the spyware and tries to black list the program from installing.

If you really have that big of a problem and since your firewall is telling you so much, end the processes that your firewall tells you is downlading 10 MB. Then goto add/remove programs and remove the spyware module.

Hope this clears things up
                  Danny

Comment

Working...
                  X