Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New WinXPx64 update breaks Daemon 4.03x64!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by AlexSGV
    Thanks again, and I hope a "more proper" solution becomes available soon (though I don't expect MS to withdraw or post a corrected version of their frivolous kernel security patch ).
    Well don't bet on that. The only way is to make it workin the future, is for the SPTD driver to be compatible with the latest x64 kernel update.

Comment

Sho 'Nuff

After uninstalling that update it lists like 5 more that "may not work" after uninstalling.....
      Looks good so far though, KUDOS to Daantje who discovered this....

Comment

Yay for Kudos

I totally agree. Kudos is definately in order! Three cheers for Daantje!

As for worrying about the consequences of removing this patch the official FAQ on http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/914784.mspx says:

"Is this a security vulnerability that requires Microsoft to issue an update?
        No. While this updates adds additional checks to Kernel patch protection system, it does not involve a security vulnerability. Known methods that allow the kernel to be patched on systems where Kernel patch protection is enabled require a system to already be compromised by an attacker."
        So I'm not going to loose any sleep over it!

Comment

Windows Update

I have narrowed the problem down to one of the following updates:

kb916281
          kb911280
          kb914389
          kb917344
          kb917334
          kb917953
          kb918439
          kb914784

As soon as I uninstalled these everything started working again. (dtools and alcohol now both run emulation fine).

I will post again once i have narrowed down to the exact patch. Maybe things will be fixed by next patch tuesday (July 13th)

Comment

The security update "kb914784" is probably the problem, as posted before. Here's a link to a M$ page were they say that it fixes the kernel debugger
            BTW: I only registered just now to post this Hope it's useful to someone
            Last edited by Saihtam; 19.06.2006, 11:54.

Comment

its not just deamon, the latest version of Alcohol also uses sptdv1.24

and it tried to access the kernal, but the patch does not allow it to.

hopfully a future version/ fix is coming.

Comment

As has been stated in numerous posts by numerous people, it's kb914784.

Comment

I am one of the person who will choose to keep the MS update. And will request DT or duplex secure to come up with the update. I am missing DT dearly

Comment

Just so you know, after I uninstalled the update "kb914784". DT works perfect

Comment

They are working on it, of course. But has been stated before, it will take time for an update which is why they suggested you uninstall the patch.

Comment

The /add command ain't working

I have the problem you've all been having. Anyway mine came from a totally fresh installation with no starforce or antivirus... When it started to happen at first i was told to get a reg fixer, which i did... This totally screwed up my computer to the point it couldn't open in safe mode, anyway i reinstalled (using x64 as before) Then i reinstalled the basic system programs and some user programs like: "Spybot Search & Destroy" aswell as "Lavasoft adaware", i couldn't log into my network to get NAV yet, so i waited with the AV. Anyway, after having used DT while rebooting, it suddently after a no-install session came with the same error as you guys. Now i believe there were some update to windows, might that be what you guys are talking about (the windows hotfix problem, which will evt. be fixed) or is it the problem we have had the in this post? Iam pretty lost here.

Comment

Windows update KB914784

Originally Posted by ShamblerDK
                          Normally I would not sign up for a forum, but I just had to in this case. I have narrowed the problem with the kernel debugger error message down to a Windows Update ... don't know which yet, but I am working on it. Check back here for updates! I am trying to figure it out atm.

Hi guys, I received this error after installing Windows update KB914784. After I have uninstall it, everything was back in normal, and Deamon runs ok.
                          I think we need to wait for some update from Daemon.

MS info bout the update :
                          Install this update to improve Kernel Patch Protection. Kernel patch protection in versions of Windows for x64-based systems protects code and critical structures in the Windows kernel from modification by unknown code or data. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=67071

ENJOY DAEMON 4ever

Comment

help me

Sorry, but there is a possibility to make it to work if I have already deleted the hotfix unistallers with ccleaner and without restore point?
                            sorry for my english

Comment

Originally Posted by snapgg
                              Sorry, but there is a possibility to make it to work if I have already deleted the hotfix unistallers with ccleaner and without restore point?
                              sorry for my english
                              There is a way, you have to get the files this patch replaces from your original installation files (extract them from the install cds cab-files).

Comment

I think it has to do with the new windows security patches that came out... they do some stuff to the kernel that may either reactivate a debugger (hence the error message) or otherwise incompatible with d-tool's detection software.

I'm looking into now and will let you know if I see any solution.

Comment

Working...
                                X