• Show
Clear All

• Bikkhu
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
    Oops, sorry , and thanks Blaz.

Not up to date but maybe also of interest:
    Plague in (security) software drivers - www.matousec.com

Anyhow, as some security software developers aren't willing to address those issues (or at least it has low priority) the DT team will finally sort this out by releasing their future products with the option to not use the SPTD access layer.
    It looks to me that ZoneAlarm is not only security software which have problems with DT. My Comodo went crazy with DT, both installation and use, and keeps screaming:

"DTLite4356-001.exe tried to execute shellcode as a result of a possible buffer owerflow attack. This is typical of a buffer owerflow attack. Comodo Defense+ has already isolated DTLite4356-001.exe from the rest of the system....."

It is a shame that ZoneAlarm crash in this situation, but on the other hand, none of the security software should tolerate such a behavior.
    DTLite and DTLiteHlp are the same.

Leave a comment:

• ZIPZAP
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
    Anyhow, as some security software developers aren't willing to address those issues (or at least it has low priority) the DT team will finally sort this out by releasing their future products with the option to not use the SPTD access layer.
    Ah, great! Good news then
    Thank you for the info.

Leave a comment:

• Terramex
    replied
    Originally Posted by ZIPZAP View Post
    No permission to access this...
    Oops, sorry , and thanks Blaz.

Not up to date but maybe also of interest:
    Plague in (security) software drivers - www.matousec.com

Last edited by Terramex; 28.07.2010, 10:35.

Leave a comment:

• ZIPZAP
    replied
    Ok thanks! Sounds like a non-resolvable issue. Both sides gives strong arguments not to fix it.

Thanks again and enjoy the day or night.

Leave a comment:

• Blazkowicz
    replied
    It is in customer forum, here is the quote:
    Originally Posted by Development
    First of all yes, DAEMON Tools does test for debuggers and if some "security" software tries to "start all progs in debug mode" it will surely fail.
    Second, practically all issues with security software we had in the past happened because this "software" actually tries to modify code inside all other processes by injecting own code, patching original one and installing own hooks. Thus it acts like a virus itself.
    DAEMON Tools has strong internal checksum verifications in lot of places to maintain own integrity and it will not tolearate when some other application penetrates into its process and modifies something inside it. We do not think of it as a "security issue" of our product, but rather as ill behavior of other malicious application which makes changes in other processes without warning user - they should at least allow user to skip monitoring or patching some processes.

Leave a comment:

• ZIPZAP
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback.

Uuuhm, that is not what I read officially from ZA. By experience when ZA dev. posts such clear statment it means they have factually found an issue (they rarely do so)

Just wanted to bring the other side of the coin here.

Thank you anyway for the input into the issue.

No permission to access this...
    Last edited by Blazkowicz; 28.07.2010, 10:18.

Leave a comment:

• Terramex
    replied
    Originally Posted by ZIPZAP View Post
    I am surprised that after all this time no DT developer looked at this or at least reacted here.
    http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f27/int...tml#post125516

Leave a comment:

• Blazkowicz
    replied
    Technically their Toolbar sets DT into some sort of debug mode and DT doesn't allow that. That means the Toolbar is manipulating DT process. Result ForceField is conflicting with DT and not vice-versa.

Leave a comment:

• ZIPZAP
    replied
    DT conflicts with Forcefield (ZA component also integrated in the toolbar). This is found to be an issue in DT (bug).

I am surprised that after all this time no DT developer looked at this or at least reacted here.

Leave a comment:

• Blazkowicz
    replied
    How comes I'm using latest DT with ZoneAlarm and haven't had any single BSOD?
    Only their toolbar is causing problems which blocks SPTD.

Leave a comment:

• ZIPZAP
    replied
    I am surprised that Daemon tool developers have not reacted yet to this.

ZA issue with Daemon Tool is caused by a bug in DT that can cause your system to crash, this is known issue since ages!

ZoneAlarm is not compatible with DAEMON Tools. A bug in DAEMON Tools creates a conflict with ZoneAlarm that can cause a BSOD crash.
    Readme for ZoneAlarm

Leave a comment:

• merlone
    replied
    i meant za lite version:9.2.057.000

Leave a comment:

• merlone
    replied
    No solution there

I would say the problem is the toolbar you dont even need to uninstall it if you just disable it in registry, forcefield is still working. But i dont understand since the toolbar were also in the foreign versions of za too and with regedit you could made dt and za forcefield work together. But now the toolbar seems to mess up things from this point it could be a malware too. This way even za shows that everything is working however iswsvc can not be found in the task manager so its not even running at this point.

Leave a comment:

• ParatoOptimal
    replied
    I have the same problem but not with the suite.
    I had Zone Alarm Pro and Daemon Tools Lite running FINE.

I updated Daemon Tools Lite to the latest as of 5-26-2010 and everything worked FINE.

I updated Zone Alarm Pro to ...
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    and Daemon Tools disappeared from my task bar.

When booting-up, there's an error message that this version of Daemon Tools requires AT LEAST Windows 2000.
    I'm running XP-Pro SP2.

Firefox used to have tool bar choices for a Daemon Tools tool bar and a Zone Alarm Pro tool bar. The ZAPTB is gone. There is a Daemon Tools tool bar choice.
    If I select it, the Zone Alarm tool bar appears.

Under Add, Remove Programs in Control Panel, there is a Daemon Tools tool bar but not a Zone Alarm Pro tool bar.

If I attempt to reinstall Daemon Tools Lite, there's an error and the install halts.
    I disabled Zone Alarm Pro and reattempted to install Daemon Tools Lite only to get the same error message and halted install.

Oddly, one of my SATA HDDs that is either 60GB, 80GB or 100GB is listed as 0.98 GB with 996MB of free space. The free space listed may be correct but the HDD's capacity is wrong.

I ran the uninstall for the ZA Forcefield tool bar and sure enough, the Daemon Tools tool bar disappeared from my list of choices in Firefox. I have NOT rebooted. My HDD capacity is still listed wrong in My Computer. DAEMON Tools Lite v4.35.6 (with SPTD 1.62) reinstalled successfully. It noted REINSTALL in the install window. So, it saw that my original install was there. Perhaps if I had rebooted, the original install would have worked now that ZAForceField has been uninstalled.

I had noticed that Firefox has been running horribly slow lately. I hope it's back to it's speedy self now that ZAForceField is GONE!

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• JLMiller
    replied
    It's Only Getting Worse

After dumping ZA Extreme and switching back to ZA Security Suite, DT worked again. I provided ZA a detailed and complete description of the issue. Recently, they issued an update to ZASS to version 9.1.507.000, which, as noted by others, includes their new ZA Browser Toolbar. The toolbar is dependent upon their IswSvc, which appeared with the new version, along with the incompatibility with DT.

I disabled the browser toolbar (it's about as useless as nipples on a boar, anyway) and disabled IswSvc, after which DT is once again fully operational.

I consider this to be downright outrageously arrogant behavior on the part of ZA. Even after being fully informed that one of their products precipitated incompatibility with DT, not only did they fail to rectify the problem, but actually had the gall to propagate it to other products.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X