Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[CRITICAL] Using hibernate results in data loss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CRITICAL] Using hibernate results in data loss!

Operating System: Windows XP SP1
    Burning Software: none
    Anti-virus Software: none
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

System configurations

I have tried this on a clean Win XP installation with all current Windows upgrades installed. I also have confirmed this problem on different PCs configurations.

Testsystem1:
    ASUS P4S8X-X
    SIS648 chipset
    P4 2.4 Ghz
    1 GB DDR-RAM
    160GB Samsung HD

Testsystem2:
    Epox D3VA (Dual PIII Motherboard)
    VIA Apollo Pro 133a chipset
    2x P3 700 Mhz
    384 MB SDRAM
    80 GB IBM HD

Testsystem3:
    Abit KT-7 RAID
    VIA (KT133)/VIA 686A chipset
    AMD Thunderbird 1.4 Ghz
    512 MB SDRAM
    2x 60 GB Western Digital HD over High Point HTP370 IDE Controller in RAID 0 mode

Symptoms

When trying to activate hibernate support on those motherboards with Deamon Tools installed, Windows reports and error about a device being in use. Activation of the hibernate support is only possible PRIOR to Deamon-Tools installation. Once DT is installed with hibernate support on, you can always toggle it on and off.

When you go into hibernate with Deamon Tools installed, the system appears to respond as expected and save all RAM to Harddisk, then shutdown. Powering the system back up again will result in a normal system start. All data stored in hiberfil.sys is lost. including some unwritten data due to Windows file caching. This results in lost clusters and renders recently opened files unusable!

We will take a deeper look to this prob, nevertheless, several reports from
    users showed us that hibernation-mode and DT runs flawlessly. In our
    tests, this behaviour never occured, so we must first find out what caused
    this problem

Comment

finding out why Windows prevented activation of the hibernate mode on a clean Windows SP1 with all current upgrades and just DT installed might be a step.

I wish I could provide some logs about it - but there is just the error message from Windows. And why it does not appear anymore if hibernate is activated PRIOR to DT installation. Approx. translation of that message into English is: "A process cannot access a device that is in use."

Next I gonna test uninstalling DT - turning hibernate off - then reinstalling DT - checking if the error comes up again when I try to reactivate hibernate

Comment

Did you use any 3rdy parth storage drivers?

Comment

on the ASUS SIS board I had the following drivers installed:

- AGP Driver Version 1.17
          - IDE Driver Version 2.04a

On the VIA chipset boards I had the VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.51 installed.

Comment

Operating System: winxp sp1
            Burning Software: n/a
            Anti-virus Software: www.freeav.de

I also have problems with hibernating, while dt3.46 is installed.

The errormessage says that the ftdisk driver cannot be loaded, when i'm trying to hibernate my notebook.

System:

Amilo A
            ALi (???) Chipset
            XP 2000+ Mobile
            512MB DDR
            60GB HDD

Ask, if you think that i can help.

Comment

Operating System: WinXP SP1
              Burning Software: _
              Anti-virus Software: _
              DAEMON Tools Version: _

The problem is that Daemon Tools opens a handle with exclusive access to Atapi.sys, that's what stops hibernation from working.
              Try closing that handle (with sysinternals' Process Explorer, for example) and the problem should go away.

I never use hibernation but today I installed Daemon Tools in a portable computer and the problem happened immediately, so I tested it in my home machine to find what was going on and the behavior was the same.

Comment

Re: [CRITICAL] Using hibernate results in data loss!

Operating System: Windows 2000 SP4
                Burning Software: none
                Anti-virus Software: none

Originally Posted by Locutus13
                When trying to activate hibernate support on those motherboards with Deamon Tools installed, Windows reports and error about a device being in use.
                I just came here to report this. This happens also on Win2k SP4. The problem is that %windir%\system32\drivers\atapi.sys gets locked after using of Daemon Tools, and Win2k can't initialize crashdump driver due to it (you can see this in event log). Thanks to sysinternals' FileMon which helped me to figure it out.

edit: Oops, i should have read the topic to the end before posting. Sorry.

Comment

Hp nx9905

Operating System: WinXP
                  Burning Software: Nero 6
                  Anti-virus Software: Antivir

Same problem here.

Hybernation & Standby won't work if DaemonTools 3.46 is installed.

No problem with v 3.41

System : Hp Compag nx9005 Notebook

Hbyeration & Standby stop working when i used an emulation the first time... until i deinstalled dt, reboot didn't fix this prob either

sorry for my english

Comment

Operating System: WinXP Pro SP1 (all critical updates)
                    Burning Software: Alcohol v1.4.8.1222/Nero v. 6.3.1.17
                    Anti-virus Software: NOD32 2.000.9

System:
                    Via KT 333 motherboard
                    Athlon XP 1800+
                    512mb Ram
                    80gb Seagate

I was also having a problem with Hibernate. I would get a BSOD when going into Hibernate mode. I didn't understand most of the error message, something about "driver irql not less or equal" but I noticed at the bottom where it says technical information it reported a file SCSIport.sys. So I figured it had something to do with the SCSI & Raid controller in Device Manager. I'm also using a Promise Ultra100 TX2 controller card which my hard drive is connected to. I saw 2 other entries in that section, D346prt and some other generic SCSI and Host controller (I know one of them had a driver named Xmasscsi.sys) Doing a search for D346prt I found it was connected to Daemon tools. So I decided to uninstall Daemon tools in Add/Remove programs. The uninstall went fine but after reboot the D346prt controller was still there. I went into Windows Explorer and saw that the Daemon tools folder and files were still there. I deleted them manually. Tried going into Hibernate and still got blue screen.

I decided to remove Alcohol as it also allowed virtual devices. Went into Add/Remove, uninstall went fine. Rebooted. Checked for its folder in Windows Explorer and the folder and files were still there! I tried to delete manually but got an error saying Axshell.ex (I think) was in use. Somewhere along the way I searched my harddrive for D346 and found two files in /windows/system32/drivers and deleted those. Then I was able to delete Alcohol manually. I rebooted and tried to Hibernate. Still got a blue screen. I ran Registry Mechanic to clean out my registry. It found a bunch of entries for Alcohol and D-Tools. I cleaned them out. Then ran Hibernate and now it worked. The only entry in SCSI & Raid controller in Device Manager is my Promise card. So the problem is Alcohol, D-tools, or both. I'm going to try reinstalling Alcohol first and testing the Hibernate mode because I've had Alcohol much longer on my computer and remember Hibernate used to work before.

Also I've check the Error 25002 thread in Common Problem and Solutions on how to remove D-tools completely and it says to delete daemon files from /window/system32/drivers and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es but it doesn't tell what files are related to D-tools. I'm assuming d346prt files but are there any others? Sorry for the long post, hope this helps someone.

Comment

Update: I just reinstalled Alcohol 120 v.1.9.2.1705 and loaded 1 virtual drive and tried the hibernate function and it seems to be working fine. No BSOD's or error messages. I'm guessing it must be Daemon Tools that has a conflict. I really don't want to try installing Daemon Tools alongside Alcohol as my computer is working good now. I suppose I could uninstall Alcohol and then install Daemon Tools and that way could be safer but do I really want to risk the stability of my computer AGAIN? Hmm.....Hellz no! Maybe it's Daemon Tools that's the problem or maybe it's the combination of 2 programs with virtual devices but I'll let the braver geeks who have multiple pcs and/or backups tackle this problem!

Comment

DT & (Hibernation and S3 STR) Problem too

Computer is
                        • AMD Sempron Palermo 2500+
                        • Biostar TF6100
                        • PC3200 512MB RAM
                        • Maxtor 60G E-IDE HDD
                        • Windows XP SP2

And Im using DT 4.03.
                        When I hibernate computer, there no problem.
                        But after returning back to Windows the problem starts.

symtom is like
                        • Computer response so slowly
                        • At task manager, CPU usage variable 50~70% even idle states.
                        • Performance is terrible. PI 1M takes 4m 39s(normally 1m00s)

I've found this thread, and uninstall DT 4.03 and reinstall DT 3.41.
                        And It works! There's no problem any more.

I wish it to be fixed at next version.
                        Cause DT is the best virtual Driver program, and I wanna use latest technollogy of DT.

Comment

You said CPU usage was high, but what program was using the CPU? If you looked in task manager, it should show the executables name. Perhaps it's not Daemon Tools directly, but some other program's compatibility issue with DT. Of course, then again I don't usually recommend using Hibernate mode anyway. It's always seemed flaky to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X