Copy-protected Audio CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy-protected Audio CD

Perhaps a "Stand-alone CD player emulator" (ignore data tracks, error interpolation correction, ignore corrupt TOC, etc.) so that those lame copy-protected CDs can be played/ripped on a computer? I know there are various ways to get around some of these protections, but I haven't seen anything that can "dumb-down" the CD-ROM drives yet.

How should that work? To my knowledge, if a CD-ROM drive doesn't get along with some Un-CD, there's nothing to be done about that except possibly a firmware update. Software solutions won't help with that.

Comment

It's not always that the drive is physically incapable of reading the disc; not all copy protection schemes are that sophisticated. Sometimes it's just how they read them. For example, most cd-player will ignore data tracks and "guess" in realtime when it reads an error, but a CD-ROM won't ignore the data and won't guess the errors. Some discs can be copied, but you need to jump through some hoops.

Comment

Well, i've always found (so far at least) that if the CD-ROM can properly initialize the disk and thus access the data, it wasn't a problem to extract it. Probably using EAC/Feurio/CloneCD/AudioCatalyst/WTF-ever, but i never met an Un-CD that gave me problems beyond this point. But then, i never cared too much about this entire affair either, so i ain't an expert on it 8)

Comment

Yes, it's often possible if you have the right tools, but it would be a lot easier to just be able to put it in and play/copy it. Maybe you would have to write something akin to a device driver though...I don't know.

Comment

There's no way to get around firmware limitations - so if a cd/dvd drive doesn't recognize the protected cd correctly no driver is able to change this.
            AnyDVD and DVDRegion+CSSFree offer some audio cd protection workarounds - did you check them out yet? Maybe it works with your drive.
            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Working...
            X