Replace windows Cd-rom icon with a Daemon Tools Icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace windows Cd-rom icon with a Daemon Tools Icon

Firstly, may I commend you on a fine product that puts other professional virtual cd-rom emulators to shame.

I have absolutely no complaints about Daemon-Tools. I do however have one teeny suggestion. I made sure to search for this topic prior to posting .

Would it be possible (in a future release) for Daemon Tools to change the standard CD-Rom icon in explorer for each virtual drive with the Daemon Tools icon?

Clone CD v4 does this when you assign a virtual dirve using thier software (the cd-rom icon changes to a sheep).

This would be a great function as I currently have 4 physical CD Rom drives in my PC and this would allow me to easily identify which of my drives is real and which one is a Daemon Tools virtual drive.

I made a shell extension that does this (among other things). BUt here is registry modifications todo:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultLabel

Under DefaultIcon, edit Default to icon file (ex: C:\Program Files\d-tools\daemon.exe). Under DefaultLabel edit default to Label.

If you prefer, I can send you the extension i made.

btw, change G to your drive letter of course :wink:

Comment

That would be fantastic if you could email me the extension.

Thank-you.

The_Titans@yahoo.com

Comment

Re: Replace windows Cd-rom icon with a Daemon Tools Icon

Originally Posted by the_titans
        Would it be possible (in a future release) for Daemon Tools to change the standard CD-Rom icon in explorer for each virtual drive with the Daemon Tools icon?

Clone CD v4 does this when you assign a virtual dirve using thier software (the cd-rom icon changes to a sheep).

This would be a great function as I currently have 4 physical CD Rom drives in my PC and this would allow me to easily identify which of my drives is real and which one is a Daemon Tools virtual drive.
        exactly the same problem as on my pc, I have many real and virtual drives and never know which is which. so I hope this feature will be implemented by default in one of the next versions. just make it work better than in clonecd. because if one changes the drive letter of the virtual clonecd drive through the device manager, the icon doesn't move along, rather staying with the old drive letter, so on my pc, e.g., I had the strange situation once that my usb zip drive got the Clonecd icon, after I changed some drive letters.

Comment

hey...cool idea Andareed, but i have all that registry stuff, up to Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer...i dont have the DriveIcons stuff...do i put it in? btw, i have winxp pro.
          There Is No Knowledge That Is Not Power

Comment

Yes, create the keys. Or you can install clonecd with virtual cdrom, and it will create the keys for you.

Comment

This thread's pretty useful IMO so I'm giving it a *bump*
              Oh yeah, I noticed that this thread doesn't show up in a search using keywords like icon and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Is the forum search not working right or am I forgetting something during the search? I do have the options set to search all forums and all the general case settings selected.

Comment

Working...
              X