No announcement yet.

DVD playback from mounted image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. That explains how the image would behave differently than the disc, though I am still wondering how the protection cannot be copied...itsn't it all bits and bytes to the drivers receiving the data in the end?

Originally Posted by DomiOh
    You cannot create a working image without removing the CSS protection, because the CSS Protection cannot be copied. Hope it's more clear, yet.

Comment

The point is you DON'T want your content protected. But you are TOTALLY focusing on understanding the wrong thing. 99.9% of users will have the protection removed automatically or will be denied a copy by their burning/image making software.

But you are having problems. It doesn't make sense so try a different copying software (the one Copytrooper recommended).

My next step after that would be to copy the images files onto another machine and try mounting and playing there. The step after that would be to compress the video and then burn to a DVD+-R
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Sorry, I have to admit my questions where no longer targeted at the problem...but curiosity got the better of me.

Originally Posted by Underheaven
        The point is you DON'T want your content protected. But you are TOTALLY focusing on understanding the wrong thing. 99.9% of users will have the protection removed automatically or will be denied a copy by their burning/image making software.

But you are having problems. It doesn't make sense so try a different copying software (the one Copytrooper recommended).

My next step after that would be to copy the images files onto another machine and try mounting and playing there. The step after that would be to compress the video and then burn to a DVD+-R

Comment

decss history

OK, so give the above stuff a try.

Historical perspective (if I remember correctly): When DVDs first came out there was no such thing as decss. You had to authenticate your drive by launching some DVD program and then quitting the program or minimizing it. Then you could copy all the visible files on the disc to a folder on your hard drive. This was in the days of FAT and small hard disks so fitting a whole disc at once was impressive. You could go online and get the decryption key for your disc and then use vobdec on the .VOB file or you could have a program called vobdec do a brute force method to decrypt the .VOB files. If you were to use windows explorer nowadays people will yell and scream at your for doing it wrong but: you'll get encrypted files unless you have dvd 4:3 or anydvd doing filtering in the background in which case the file copying will be decrypted without you even knowing about it or manually running a decryption program AFTER the copying is all done. If you also try to use explorer you'll fail miserably against bad sector dvd protection (yes this method or region code scripts or some other protection is common on most video dvds released today.).
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
          X