Invalid purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by H@P View Post
    Their "phone home" registration scheme supposedly checks in every few weeks (does anybody know how often exactly?)
    Originally Posted by Alco View Post
    after you would complete "check for update", you can use DT Pro up to 25 days without Internet connection.
    There you have it... guess I'll be back sometime next month.

H@P

Comment

I'll give it a shot and help you test it. I last ran DT Pro the program on 1/24, so I guess I'll wait a couple more weeks and try again (by my calculation, Tuesday the 19th for good measure) and see if it happens to me (still running v219, so it'll give me a good excuse to upgrade anyway).

Comment

FWIW I did not originally consider this a bug - I thought it was the way they intended the activation system to work. But I also thought it was a major annoyance (I posted about this just before Xmas - http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=19897).

My original thinking was that this had something to do with my hardware signature changing. The only thing I knew for certain was that I started DT Pro after not having done so for quite some time and I got the "Invalid Purchase" message. I figured I might have added some memory or installed some device driver in the period since i had last used DT Pro.

But given H@P's experience, I'm not so sure about that anymore.

When H@P pointed out that there could be a real problem for users after the 1 yr subscription (or whatever it's called) expires, it seemed like something that should be tracked down fully.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
          I'll give it a shot and help you test it. I last ran DT Pro the program on 1/24, so I guess I'll wait a couple more weeks and try again (by my calculation, Tuesday the 19th for good measure) and see if it happens to me (still running v219, so it'll give me a good excuse to upgrade anyway).
          Well, after well over a month of not running DT Pro and only using the context menu, I finally tried running it again. No problems whatsoever. Must be something funky, either with your account or on your computer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
            Well, after well over a month of not running DT Pro and only using the context menu, I finally tried running it again. No problems whatsoever. Must be something funky, either with your account or on your computer.
            Yup, I've tried running it after a _long_ period of inactivity, and it worked just fine.

I'll give in and say it was a user error.

Perhaps during one of the updates I mistakenly denied internet access via ZoneAlarm, and the auto-deactivation kicked in.

Sounds like one last thing to try before my subscription expires.

H@P

Comment

and most important: We have widely known reputation to
              handle such things without much bureaucracy - as Alco already
              pointed out weeks ago, in such cases we would take care that
              the user will get what he paid for. We do not left someone in
              the rain here.

BTW: The error described here is indeed an user-error - it is typical if
              you use wrong activation-file. My suggestion is to delete the
              installer & the key as soon as you have DT Pro installed -
              as it can be anytime redownloaded at the customers area. This way,
              I avoid to mix things up
              Last edited by LocutusofBorg; 07.05.2008, 04:10.

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg View Post
                We do not left someone in the rain here.
                Good to know. And I'll continue to support companies with that attitude.

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg View Post
                BTW: The error described here is indeed an user-error - it is typical if you use wrong activation-file. My suggestion is to delete the installer & the key as soon as you have DT Pro installed - as it can be anytime redownloaded at the customers area. This way, I avoid to mix things up
                Well, the original problem I reported was after changing _nothing_. I already had an install working, and it at some point stopped working. What was found in your logs was my recovery effort of installing a new version, running it, and then reactivating it with the new key.

I still think it's a user error (preventing DT from connecting to the internet by accidentally denying access via ZoneAlarm), just not the user error you think.

H@P

Comment

that it suddenly stopped working is indeed a bug that was in
                  old DT Pro - we ironed that bug out some versions ago.

So it was not your fault and your attempts to get Pro working
                  again then just lead to confusion of the license-system.
                  So: You did nothing wrong, it was just a matter of bad
                  circumstances, therefore my suggestion: delete old installers
                  & keyfiles after you installed DT Pro, you can then later anytime
                  redownload them via your customer-account

Comment

Originally Posted by H@P View Post
                    G
                    Well, the original problem I reported was after changing _nothing_. I already had an install working, and it at some point stopped working. What was found in your logs was my recovery effort of installing a new version, running it, and then reactivating it with the new key.

I still think it's a user error (preventing DT from connecting to the internet by accidentally denying access via ZoneAlarm), just not the user error you think.

H@P
                    Hi, i am intending to purchase DT Pro Advanced, but did i got that right that it needs an internet connection to get it installed/run? What about those who want to install it on an offline PC? Or is the connection just required for the update function?

Many thanks for your answers!

Comment

Yes, an internet connection is mandatory to install / activate.

Additionally you must at least once a month be connected to the internet - if not DT ceases to function or at least some features do not work anymore, don't remember exactly.

Comment

Working...
                      X