No announcement yet.

System Shock 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without using DT, I know that you need the correct disk for each program. So if I want to play MoHAA, I need the play disk for it to run, same for the others.

Comment

Regarding Undying, I created an image using the SafeDisc profile, I even double checked to make sure that was the correct profile to use with ProtectionID beforehand.

The image was created successfully so I mounted it on [SCSI_1] (K and proceeded to install the game. That went well also, after the installation I unmounted the drive and restarted the computer. I remounted UNDYING.mdx to drive K: again and it brung up the menu, and instead of "play game" I get "install game" (which I did already).

Did I make a mistake by unmounting the drive prior to restarting Windows?. With Shogo, after installing it I restarted without unmounting.

Should I uninstall Undying and try reinstalling it again?, or is there a way to fix this?.

Comment

I need to point this out, after creating the image I closed DT and I copied the image to another location so I have two copies. That way I don't copy the original to a CD or other media while it's still mounted. Using the second copy for that instead.

When I re-opened DT and went to mount the UNDYING.mdx, I chose the second image copy location instead so it loaded the autorun which takes you to a menu. Realizing I chose the second image copy location, I exited the menu without installing and unmounted the drive. I then remounted it and chose the correct default image location and proceeded to install the game without a hitch.

I really don't believe this caused the problem.

Comment

Sorry for posting so many times in a row. I hope you read all the previous posts.

I uninstalled Undying and removed any leftover files. I'm eagerly awaiting to hear what you guys think before I try to reinstall.

Comment

Originally Posted by Zeolites View Post
            I remounted UNDYING.mdx to drive K: again and it brung up the menu, and instead of "play game" I get "install game" (which I did already).
            I just dug out my Undying copy
            I've noticed the autorun.inf points to the install.exe - maybe that's the culprit ?
            But i have to admit that i have the 'Play' option not greyed out in Undying's splash screen.
            Or are you talking about the Windows Autorun window that pops up with only an option to install ?
            Either way, does it show the same behaviour when using the original disc ?

btw. you can launch the game via start menu and/or desktop shortcut ?
            I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

My copy of Undying is by publisher Sold-Out Software Mastertronic

When you mount the image it brings up the "setup.now.exe" (not the "autorun.exe") menu instead of the games own "setup.exe". That has to be the reason but I don't know how to get around it.

If you insert the Undying CD the "setup.now.exe" is what opens automatically, not "autorun.exe" or "setup.exe". That's how the image acts.

Comment

If I mount the image it brings up the setup.now.exe like I said, I only get the install option. When I launch the desktop shortcut to Undying it tells me I need the disc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Zeolites View Post
                  That has to be the reason but I don't know how to get around it.
                  You can't change/edit the Autorun routine.
                  As a workaround you could deactivate Autorun systemwide (or only for certain drives using the Microsoft Powertoy Tweak UI) and then use a tool like ScripterNite to run a certain exe after mounting.
                  But i doubt this will help ATM as the game doesn't even start up using the desktop shortcut.
                  When i get back to my gaming PC on Monday i will check if i can find anything special with that title - though i have a different game version.
                  I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

I disabled autorun temporarily by holding down shift while mounting the images. I was then able to browse the drives and select the correct "setup.exe" file. Undying still doesn't work for me though. I can install the game fine but when I go to launch the game it asks for the CD.

I make sure to restart Windows after every program install (most).

Comment

Turns out Madden NFL 2001 has the same problem as Undying. I assumed it would work and didn't try launching the game to see. I installed NHL 2002 before that, and it was working fine. Both have SafeDisc protection so I used the SafeDisc profile to create the images. The image was created successfully and installed without a problem.

The two games will run if I insert the CD. The registry entries (Installed from point to the correct virtual drive letter, so I don't what the problem is.

Comment

I got my copy of System Shock 2 today!. I created an image using the SafeDisc profile after finding out the protection with ProtectionID (SafeDisc v1.11.000). Again, the game installed fine from the image. I wanted to test the game to see if it would load without the CD before I install this - SS2 Kolya SS2Tool v3.0

This is what I get

The SS2Tool contains a No-CD so I won't need the CD anyway, I just hope I can still hear the in-game music.

Comment

Working...
                        X