My CDROM is MISSING i did the steps in #8 Common Problems thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anything other than repairing / reformatting? :[

i've tried switching ide cables also, that didnt work either.

Comment

Figured it out, after days / hours...

Daemon tools some how fried my secondary IDE controller, no big deal not gonna point the finger or anything : ) !!! <3 WARRANTIES !!!

MSI 865PE Neo2-P

Thanks guys!

Comment

For sure Daemon Tools didn't do anything to your secondary IDE controller.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I'm a tech and do it for a living. I can guarantee you that software cannot fry your IDE ports. It's simply not possible. Coincidences do happen, you know.

Comment

Rather than create a new thread i am going to bump this one. I am experiencing the same problems as the Original Poster.

After using DT, my CD Rom drives will not detect. They do not show up in the BIOS, they do not show up in the Device Manager. I've tried every combination of IDE connection and settings between two drives and I cannot get anything to detect. Even with DT on and virtual drives enabled, the real drives do not show up, only virtual drives.

I've tried the walkthrough here
            Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Method 1 doesn't work because the registry files are missing.
            Method 2 doesn't work because Device Manager doesnt' detect anything.

I'm stumped, i'll do anything short of reformatting, please help.

Comment

First you've to figure out why they are not detected on BIOS level. Check all cables (power, IDE) on mainboard and drives, also check all BIOS settings. If drives are not detected on BIOS level, reformatting won't help.

Comment

I am really concerned about any chance DT might have nuked my drives and/or IDE secondary now that I have developed the same problem. Does DT do anything at Ring 0 or Ring 1?

Win2000 became unstable, as seems to happen every 1-2 weeks or so. It was unable to finish shutdown and I had to hit the reset button. Upon next boot, I discovered both drives were missing from both Windows Explorer and Device Manager.

Later I discovered they were no longer detected by the BIOS, either. I already tried power off, disconnect IDE cable, boot, power off, reconnect IDE cable, boot. Nothing was detected for secondary master, and only some garbage appeared for secondary slave. Obviously, Win2000 fared no better.

This happened across a reboot and the drives were working fine since 9/2005, so I don't see how the IDE cable is a problem. The power supply is a Antec 550W, so I don't see how it could be from too little power or a crap power supply.

This was with a ABIT AV8 motherboard, Sony DVD-ROM+CD-RW combo drive, NEC DVD-RW/DL drive, and latest DT.

Comment

Daemon Tools can NOT "nuke" any drives, so whatever reason causes your drives not being detected on BIOS level anymore, Daemon Tools has nothing to do with it.
                  Especially the "garbage" on secondary slave sounds either a defect cable, defect drive or mainboard/ide controller.

Comment

Working...
                  X