Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alls I know is I got stuttering problems out of my mind when I was sharing IRQs--but now that problem's gone...can't really explain it, but that could've been the problem.

Comment

• So is there a fix for this yet?

Comment

• Persistent Problems

I've been fighting with this for a couple of weeks now. My story:

I put together a new system October last year:

AMD Athlon64 4400+ Dual-Core CPU
        Gigabyte K8N SLI Motherboard
        2GB RAM
        XFX NVidia 7800GT Video
        Latest NVidia drivers, latest BIOS, etc.

and I downlaoded WinXP64 trial version from Microsoft.

I got the v4.03 version of Daemon tools, and everything worked fine.

My 'trial copy' of WinXP64 ran out, and it said I needed to upgrade to the official release.

I upgraded with an official copy, and I got an error about not being able to remove spdt.sys (I forget the specifics) during the upgrade.

After the upgrade, everything worked fine, with the exception of Daemon Tools. I uninstalled, and reinstalled, and then I got the dreaded 'Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12.'.

I've folowed this thread ever since, and all the suggestions (removing spdt, reinstalling, ACPI stuff, etc.) but nothing makes a difference.

My ACPI driver shows:

"ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC", and always did (even when Daemon tools worked). All my drivers/BIOS are the latest available, and I've got IRQs to spare.

I've removed and reinstalled several times, and my error has now changed - I get an 'Unable to add adapter. Device problem 32.' error now...

Is there any hope?

Comment

• Having the same problem here as well.

Dtools V3.47 works like a dream.

Dtools V4.0-4.3 both refuse to work, always popping up with this Device problem #12 when I reboot the PC.

I find that the Standard PC option creates a much more stable environment for my PC, as opposed to ACPI. Reinstalling the OS so that it's under ACPI is out of the question for me.

Is this issue a high priority on the fix list, or are the non-acpi users just better off sticking to 3.47 and/or finding another program?

Comment

• Ugh!

Just ran into this problem myself and I have yet to see any real official response that anyone is working on this problem (of course might be in a thread elsewhere... but I have been looking). Is there any way around this? I've tried everything within reason and the only thing really feasible is to reload v3 as that actually works and seems to use a different method of setting the virtual drives up. Seems like many people are having this prob. Alcohol120% latest version does a very similar kind of thing. It's a dark day indeed.

Comment

• i need a solution!!!!!

please

Comment

• I tried installing this on an old system. Unfortunately, it's old enough that it lacks proper ACPI functions. Thing is, I can't afford to buy a new processor + mb right now (not even a new old one that's really cheap.) Besides, this is precicely 100% perfect for my needs. It's just supposed to be a carryable HTPC/retrogaming system, which is where Daemon-Tools comes in since it's what I need for emulators and some old games that require the original cds. If I carried all those discs with me when I carry the system, I'd break my back.

Anyway, I suppose the functionality of the old one is enough for me. I'm not worried about blacklists since most of these games were before protections even existed beyond "just check to see if the supposed CD drive can be written to." It's still terribly annoying, especially since it's so unclear what the problem is.

Originally Posted by norc
                It would be hard to make a fix that will leave all the functionality of DT and not use IRQ since the whole idea of apearing as a real drive is built on it apearing as a scsi device which requires a free IRQ. ACPI has been around for years and almost every system supports it since it is currently the only way you can have more then 15 devices that use IRQ in your comp.

Fot those of you that have this problem my suggestion is "GET AN ACPI COMPLIANT COMPONENT!".
                Yeah, uhm, you're mistaken I'm afraid. Daemon Tools < 4.xx has been chugging along just fine on old systems for years, and by your logic it never worked on any of those systems. Actually, I scrolled back a bit, and someone explicitely went over the details of the problem. The problem isn't that ACPI is the only way, just that it's the best way so the other way wasn't focused correctly on. As was mentioned, it needs a properly written INF file so it can support a different IRQ and then it should be possible to correct it. I have quite a number of devices stuffed into this system and they all get along just fine without ACPI. The only problem I have is that most things are too braindead to use APM to shut off power, so I have to physically press the switch to shutdown (I might add that Win98SE correctly shuts off the system, so this reliance on ACPI with no support for APM as a backup is a step down in the case of Win2k.)

As for buying new stuff, well, we can't all be as rich as you must be since you feel money is so free we can all run and buy new components just for Daemon Tools. Please feel free to pass along some of the riches you so enjoy our way, I could really put it to good use, I assure you.

Comment

• menotbug, please do not double post. The forums are moderated which is why your posts don't show up immediately.
                  "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

• To follow up my previous post, I solved my problem.

To do this, I blew my system away, and reloaded it from scratch - this allowed Dtools 4.03 to work, but at the cost of a day's worth of reloading my system. I still don't unerstand why it didn't work before, since basically my system is using the same software all around.

Comment

• I've had this same issue with Daemon Tools, ever since I switched to a SATA HDD on my Abit NF7-sv2. I have a Silicon Image Raid Controller 3112 already installed to manage my HDD.

I'm totally new to SATA. I have the RAID controller enabled under my SATA controller in my BIOS, and when I installed XP, I put in a floppy disk and had to selest my RAID driver to install. If I try to disable my RAID controller, I can't boot - it says insert system disk. Now, say I reformatted, this time with that controller disabled in my BIOS, and without inserting that RAID disk - would WIndows see a empty NTFS drive even if it was SATA and be able to install to it? Honestly, I'd hate to have to reformat again, but I need Daemon Tools.

This is exactly what happens in Windows at the moment (I copied and pasted this from someone else's discription as it EXACTLY my problem):
                      1) Problem Ejecting SCSI/RAID Host Controller: The device 'SCSI/RAID Host Controller' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.

2) DAEMON TOOLS: Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12.

3) DAEMON TOOLS: Invalid Device.

4) Windows XP then tells me I have a new device installed and need to restart my computer. Each time, no matter how many times I reboot.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, because I have many ISO backups of my discs, and I do not feel like always having to use the original disc. And I don't want to have to burn the ISO's I make to test them. SO please, if you know anything that would help me, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
                      D. Wells
                      Last edited by DWells55; 05.03.2006, 04:00.

Comment

• Originally Posted by laggsy
                        "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC", and always did (even when Daemon tools worked). All my drivers/BIOS are the latest available, and I've got IRQs to spare.

I've removed and reinstalled several times, and my error has now changed - I get an 'Unable to add adapter. Device problem 32.' error now...

Is there any hope?
                        Hi there,

I encountered exactly the same behaviour after an update of x64 eval to x64 retail. Have a look at this thread in german language, if you're capable to read that. There's also a bunch of screenshots.

I think we'll have to wait for a new release?

The only thing what I not yet tried is to disable uninstall third party SCSI/RAID drivers (Sil 3114). Will that do the trick?

My Mainboard is Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe.

regards

floogy

Comment

• ERROR - Device problem 12

hi, I installed latest daemon tools but when i try to use the program it says: "Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12"!

What's wrong?

thanks in advance

Comment

• Hi me 2 i am using a new XP Pro install with all patches and ups
                            If U Read It U Can Keep It

Comment

• OK found the solution it was the non ACPI Computer Bug!
                              1st uninstall deamon tool
                              2nd see if u have a ACPI Parameter in The Bios first
                              3rd Use the Install CD to boot and type at the F6 promt
                              F5 button to choose the ACPI Single or Multiprocessor
                              then go on like U normaly would install Win XP then the
                              Installer will find the Actual Installation of XP then just choose Rapair and go on.
                              after that u have a ACPI Processor in ur Device Manager
                              4th Reinstall DT
                              5th Be happy !
                              If U Read It U Can Keep It

Comment

• Originally Posted by Jokemaster
                                OK found the solution it was the non ACPI Computer Bug!
                                1st uninstall deamon tool
                                2nd see if u have a ACPI Parameter in The Bios first
                                3rd Use the Install CD to boot and type at the F6 promt
                                F5 button to choose the ACPI Single or Multiprocessor
                                then go on like U normaly would install Win XP then the
                                Installer will find the Actual Installation of XP then just choose Rapair and go on.
                                after that u have a ACPI Processor in ur Device Manager
                                4th Reinstall DT
                                5th Be happy !

I got already "ACPI-Uniprocessor x64 based PC" in the device Manager.

But there is only hal.dll, but no Halaacpi.dll.

Is this a special behaviour of x64 edition or 2003 x64?

Comment

Working...
                                X