Version 3.0 does not remove virtual drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by redmagejoe View Post
    Problem is because those drive letters are being "used", they don't even show up in the drop-down box for drive letters. Believe me, I've tried to rearrange drive partition letters in the past; that's how I became vexed with this issue in the first place actually.
    Drive letters are controlled via this registry key:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices"

I would back it up then start to mess around with it. Some people say you can even delete the whole MountedDevices entry and let the system recreate it after reboot (sounds risky though).
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Geez... so I'd been looking for the location I could find this in the registry for a while, without having to go through every folder myself. Though this still didn't solve my problem.

I tried deleting the registry entries for G, H, I, and J (the virtual drives from old Daemon) and rebooting the system. Drives came back. I tried deleting them again and doing a reg search for any old traces of Daemon 3 that might be recreating them, deleted only thing I could imagine being a Daemon 4 entry... still no luck.

Comment

Bump for unresolved.

Comment

what works for me is...

Winxp SP3 - I have no other virtual drives other than 4 DT drives.
          I've also have the same problem. Everytime (at least the last 3 revisions if not more) I go to update DT from last revision and after update and reboot DT assigns new drive letters without having removed the old ones. Removing them from hardware devices doesn't work. I removed all DT virtual drive devices and that didn't change the drive letter designations. It did seem to remove the old 'drivers' and install new ones, but the old drive designations were still listed in the MY Computer window even after reboot.
          What I did then was,
          Set the number of DT drives to disabled. Then went into the system registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevice s and deleted ONLY the drive letters that corresponded to all the virtual DT drive letters. Then in DT Virtual devices I set the number the of DT drives to 4. Presto, I get my old drive letters back. The only thing I don't understand is, everytime time new letters are assigned or reassigned the reg entries above DosDevices
          ie.> "\??\Volume{"... new ones are added and the list grows longer everytime I have to do this fix. It doesn't seem detrimental as far as I can tell. Why doesn't DT keep the previous device designations after updating?

Comment

In addition to the above remarks I forgot to mention this post refers to the most recent DT update as of 2 Aug 2009 v4.30.4.
            ...this was the only post I found so far referencing the problem with the drive letters after updating.

Comment

Are you guys (blindmanbruce and redmagejoe) having the virtual drives remain in My Computer after uninstallation of DAEMON Tools? What happens when you set the number virtual drives to 0?
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
              X