"Failed to open config key" when installing 4.0.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernal debugging

im not sure at all but i had deamon tools on my hard drive c:/ when i switch to a amd athlon 64bit i had to repair windows now when i tried to start it it says error you are running kernal32 debugging or somethin like that so i removed it and it said cannot find unsti.exe so i did it manualy i dont think i took it out of registar i even tried to use the 1 in the folder and not the 1 in the startup and it said error in set up and somethin about a key now when i try to reisall it it says that error about a faild to open config key can someone plz help me!!!!!!!!!

Comment

as I posted elsewhere to fix this problem after a repair install of xp remove the SPTD.SYS from your system32/drivers folder(or rename it) reboot and and then install dtools and it should work fine. even if SPTD isn't running the setup will not overwrite that file and give you "failed to oped config key" but in this case it means really to replace/overwrite "windows/system32/drivers/sptd.sys" file by default the installer asumes if the driver is there its doing an upgrade and wants to check the previous config settings in the registry only they don't exist anymore which gives this error

Hope this helps

Comment

I have the same problem with the "faild to oped" error message

I have the same problem with the "faild to oped" error message. I tried booting in Safe Mode and adding it in cmd prompt but it gave the same error. I tried to run the remove command but then it said that it didn't find it installed.

The latest version of Alcohol 120% also gives me the same problem when installing.

Comment

Ive been having the same problems as all of you guys and when I try running the "SPTDinst_x86.exe add" i get the same errors as when Im out of safe mode and installing daemon.

When I try remove I get told nothings running.. :|

any help?

Comment

failed to open config key

like the above says i try to install the program and i get that error message. thxz.

Comment

Originally Posted by rickydark
              Ive been having the same problems as all of you guys and when I try running the "SPTDinst_x86.exe add" i get the same errors as when Im out of safe mode and installing daemon.

When I try remove I get told nothings running.. :|

any help?
              Exactly the same thing with me. I boot in to safe mode run SPTDinst_x86.exe remove and it says "SPTD is currently not installed" So I click ok.
              Then try SPTDinst_x86.exe add and I get the same "Failed to oped config key."

I really love daemon tools but I can't get it installed which is disappointing. Can't their just be a release that doesn't require this since everyone and their mothers seems to be having this problem?

Comment

Originally Posted by itom
                Maybe you could try this:
                When testing Daemon Tools with Vista (it doesn't work), I discovered that a key created by sptdinst has incorrect permissions, I don't know if it is related, just give a try and give your feedback.

The key is the following:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd\Cfg

To apply correct permissions on it, you should:
                1. run regedit
                2. goto the key
                3. right mouse button -> permissions on th Cfg key
                4. "advanced" button
                5. I've got only one permission entry for administrator. Delete it
                6. Check inherit from parent ... and replace permissions entries on all child objects ...

and apply.

HTH,
                This fixed it for me. I had corrupted permissions for the entire spdt key. By changing the owner, then giving myself full permissions, I was able to delete the key. After deleting the key I was able to re-install.

Comment

Solution

After having the same "Failed to open config key" error as everyone else for months and being unable to install Daemon Tools 4.03 x86, I finally got it to work.
                  I was also able to solve the problem where people would run "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" and have errors saying that no sptd was installed, etc.

To solve error with "sptdinst_x86.exe remove" where error message says no sptd is installed: See Steps 2 - 4.

My setup:
                  Win XP up-to-date with all service packs
                  AVG Antivirus
                  Daemon 3.47 installed

Step 1. Download SPTDinst_x86.exe from here. Save to your C:\ drive for easy access.
                  Step 2. Restart computer in safe mode but DO NOT hit esc when windows says sptd.sys is loading.
                  Step 3. When safe mode starts, go into Start menu, click Run... and type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without the quotes.
                  Alternate Step 3. Start windows safe mode with a command prompt. At the prompt type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without the quotes.
                  Step 4. Restart your computer to boot windows normally.
                  Step 5. Run Daemon Tools 4.03 Installation program.
                  Step 6. When it asks you to restart your computer, do so, but do not enter into safe mode. Just restart normally.
                  Step 7. Run installation program again and it should work!

There is NO need to fiddle with the registry or to delete any sptd files from your WINDOWS/system32. This solution worked for me and I hope it works for many of you. I tried to make it as clear as possible. Good luck to everyone!

Comment

If there would just be good manuals, then people wouldn't have to keep asking what the hell they should do. I also have all these problems, and I have no Idea what most of you people talk about. Is there no one who can make a manual with some screenshots and some good explanation in normal english?

Comment

Help me

Looks like I have the same problem like most of the guys here. I had to repeir my win xp,and I guess something went wrong.I cant install the new verson of deamon because it failed to open config... error message.Could someone tell me how to add sptdinst_x86.

Comment

The only thing I can think of is to wait for a sepret download for SPTD

Comment

Hi, guys,

I have the same prob getting this "Failed to open config key" error message after doing a repair install of WIN XP Pro SP2. I tried all solutions brought up in this thread and changing permissions as itom and ddrueding mentioned seems to be the right step.
                          My cfg folder is obviously completely screwed up, and I can not even access it. Translation (from German) of the error message would be "Cfg cannot be opened". I'm not able to change permissions, either.

Can anyone help me out? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thx
                          Tingeltangel Bob

Comment

Windows Repair???

I have the same problem as everyone here, i have tried all the fixes that have worked for other with no sucess.

I too have recently repaired my installation of XP Pro, and wondered if this was true for all those with the problem? I know a few mentioned this in there replies, is this a common theme?

I got an error message from DT after the repair and tried to remove, reinstall, etc.

I now get no error message but cannot install and use DT.

Has the repair and updates from M$ screwed the install?

This is getting old and this thread is growing, if anyone has a fix plz post.

Bob

Comment

got it

for the problem with "failed to open config key"
                              do:
                              - switch in safe mode...hit ESC when trying to load sptd.sys
                              - use sptdinst_x86.exe remove....if it says that no sptd drivers installed there is no problem....go to the next step
                              - use sptdinst_x86.exe add
                              - it will ask you to restart the computer after they are installed
                              - restart in normal mode...install daemon 4.03 and it works!!!!! it will not ask you to restart after installation.

for two hours I read this thread and get a little scared because I don't know a lot about comp and it seem s like some big problems here ...

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz dual core
                              1 Gb Ram
                              XP Professional SP2
                              ...and it works fine..i hope it will not hang when i boot my computer

Comment

failed to oped config key

I was able to use Daemon for years, but after my last system reset (yesterday), the following message comes up, if i try to install daemon tools: SPTD Setup V1.24.... "Failed to oped config key". After that message, the installer closes. What may i do in order to fix that?

post moved to this thread by Underheaven

Comment

Working...
                                X