No announcement yet.

"Failed to open config key" when installing 4.0.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem is the fact that my windows root is in E:\windows......

As i try to install: failed to open
    as i try to remove with tool: cannot find (safe-mofe with .sys loaded)
    as i try to remove by hand: system clean (safe-mode without .sys loaded)
    - if i try to install deamon -> reboot-> failed to open (in normal mode)

If i try to open the regedit->.......->cfg:
    h*tp://uselast.fasthoster.de/error.jpg
    Last edited by dazon; 18.05.2006, 10:30.

Comment

sptd error

Hey, I am having a ton of trouble installing the latest version of daemon tools. When I get to the step where it installs the sptd driver I get the common error of "System File Read Error". After searching the forums all morning I have tried many things such as delete any references to sptd and dtscsi on my computer and in registry, turn off virus scanners, safe mode, ect... but nothing works. The main file that people say is the cause for these problems is the sptd.sys file in the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder. However after looking there I dont not even have that file. I have a file called sptd03 with no extension on it and right beside that a couple files called sp with no extension also. I attempted to delete this file but I get an error saying that the file does not exist. I tried many brute force deletion methods but none of them work. So here I am stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix my problems? I'm running windows Media Center Edition 2005 with all of the latest updates and patches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Comment

anyone with any suggestions at all? A little bit of further input on what I have discovered. Before I edit the registry at all I get the "system file read error" but after I delete all the instances and keys for sptd I get the new error "Failed to oped key". However as soon as I restart my computer the registry fixes it self and I have to go in and delete the keys for sptd again.

Comment

Has This Problem With DT4.0.3 Been Resolved Yet!?!?!?

Hi, im getting that stupid problem with DT4.0.3, when i try to run it it gives me this message:

When i try to uninstall it says: Setup is unable to validate installation.

When i try to reinstall the program it gives me this message:

Anybody finnaly got this thing to work? i uninstalled alcohol thinking it resolve now if i try to install alcohol it gives me the same messages, now i cant run anything!!!!!!!!!!!

Some help here? Thanks

Comment

Error during install Daemon403-x86

the same error for me.

dont think the daemon tool cant write into the folder "windows/system32/drivers/"
            cause I removed the sptd.sys before I install daemon tool,
            then reboot system
            after that, I checked the the folder "windows/system32/drivers/", there was no sptd.sys in it. then I double clicked daemon tool v.403, this time worked, and ask me to reboot. before I clicked "ok", I checked the folder again, now there was a sptd.sys in it.
            I think daemon tool installed that file into the folder.

after reboot, the daemon tool poped up again to continue install.

However this time failed, I got the error message "failed to open config key".

my wild guess is if there is no sptd.sys in the folder, the installer will create one and ask to reboot to continue. but if there is a sptd.sys then i will get error message.

I did another experiement:
            after the 1st reboot, i went into safe mode and remove the sptd.sys the daemon tool created, and back to normal mode, the daemon tool continued, but this time it asked me to reboot again..............
            thx for your help

Thank again for all the developers and contributors

Comment

Yep it worked

Step 1. Download SPTDinst_x86.exe from here. Save to your C:\ drive for easy access.
              Step 2. Restart computer in safe mode hit esc when windows says sptd.sys is loading.
              Step 3. When safe mode starts, go into Start menu, click Run... and type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe remove" without the quotes.
              Step 3.1 type "C:\sptdinst_x86.exe add" without the quotes.
              Step 4. Restart your computer to boot windows normally.
              Step 5. Run Daemon Tools 4.03 Installation program.
              Step 6. So it worked fine for me.

Comment

Microsoft artical 908523 for x86 & KB914784 for x64 systems are the updates and have more information.

On my x64 system I just removed the update and everything worked fine.

Simply remove those updates (if possible) and you should be okay.

Comment

Originally Posted by dbpvr
                  as I posted elsewhere to fix this problem after a repair install of xp remove the SPTD.SYS from your system32/drivers folder(or rename it) reboot and and then install dtools and it should work fine. even if SPTD isn't running the setup will not overwrite that file and give you "failed to oped config key" but in this case it means really to replace/overwrite "windows/system32/drivers/sptd.sys" file by default the installer asumes if the driver is there its doing an upgrade and wants to check the previous config settings in the registry only they don't exist anymore which gives this error

Hope this helps
                  Yes pal THANK YOU THIS WORKS JUST PERFECT AND NOW 4.0.3 INSTALLS PERFECT.

Comment

as I posted elsewhere to fix this problem after a repair install of xp remove the SPTD.SYS from your system32/drivers folder(or rename it) reboot and and then install dtools and it should work fine. even if SPTD isn't running the setup will not overwrite that file and give you "failed to oped config key" but in this case it means really to replace/overwrite "windows/system32/drivers/sptd.sys" file by default the installer asumes if the driver is there its doing an upgrade and wants to check the previous config settings in the registry only they don't exist anymore which gives this error

Hope this helps
                    Thank you, this was just the answer I was looking for. I had done a "Repair" of my Windows XP SP2 installation and was getting this error. I deleted the sped.sys and then was able to uninstall, then reinstall the software.

Thanks.

Comment

Hope this helps
                      This is the only thing that worked for me as well. I know a few posters above me endorsed this. It did indeed work for me after everything else had failed. I renamed the file when I was in safe mode. I rebooted my system, then tried to install it again. It prompted me to restart, so I did. I then uninstalled the old version using the 4.0.3 installer, then installed it. Works fine now.

Comment

Originally Posted by Minkus
                        This is the only thing that worked for me as well. I know a few posters above me endorsed this. It did indeed work for me after everything else had failed. I renamed the file when I was in safe mode. I rebooted my system, then tried to install it again. It prompted me to restart, so I did. I then uninstalled the old version using the 4.0.3 installer, then installed it. Works fine now.
                        Glad you got it installed Minkus .

If anyone else encounters this problem and feels the need to use the above steps: There is a program that automates the "rename/delete/prepare for SPTD reinstall process". It is linked to at the following post, look for "Download link".

the modern world:
                        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Just one advice to all who want to disable SPTD temporarily.
                          Instead of renaming/deleting SPTD.SYS better disable its service: find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPTD
                          registry key and modify Start value from 0 to 4. No need
                          to rename or remove files then.
                          This will be compatible even with Vista, because if you rename
                          file alone Vista will not boot at all, even in safe mode (thx to Microsoft ;().

If you need SPTD back then replace this value with 0 agian.

If you run new SPTD setup it changes this value to 0 automatically so no need to do anything.

Comment

Originally Posted by VeNoM386
                            Just one advice to all who want to disable SPTD temporarily.
                            Instead of renaming/deleting SPTD.SYS better disable its service: find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPTD
                            registry key and modify Start value from 0 to 4. No need
                            to rename or remove files then.

If you need SPTD back then replace this value with 0 agian.

If you run new SPTD setup it changes this value to 0 automatically so no need to do anything.
                            Thanks for the hint
                            http://bsfkillaplace.runboard.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by VeNoM386
                              Well, thank you Microsoft. Why would the lack of a non-system driver file prevent Windows from booting? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
                                a non-system driver file
                                SPTD is installed as an important driver. Windows thinks it is a boot-start driver.

But yea, I'm furious at Microsoft's blocking of normal and safe mode with this (I didn't know about it 'till VeNoM386 mentioned it). The only side effect is that more home users would learn how to use the recovery console.
                                the modern world:
                                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                                X