No announcement yet.

SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My system is suffering from the same problems.

I think MS updates can be ruled out, I have rebooted multiple times since the last update.
    I don't think the game (tried playing it) would do something that sneaky, too much liability.

Last thing I did was install CureROM 1.3. The Star Wars game started to work with it, till first system crash. Now sptd.sys freezes the system.

Originally Posted by Zhombe
    I too suffer from the sptd.sys won't boot, hangs before login screen death. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things. Either:
    1. CureROM frelled it up when it changed all the permissions and hid daemon tools
    2. Star Wars Empire at War silently installed a I HATE DAEMON TOOLS mod that silently frells up your computer from the back door

Comment

Does this bug/error only affect people with dual processor technology? I sure don't hope I will get it..

Comment

Get CureROM 1.3.1 here...
        Mail:
        curerom @ daemon-tools.cc

Comment

Fun morning with sptd.sys problem

Hello every one.

Well never had a problem with DT since it was installed on my system well over a month ago. Think I've only used it once or twice.

Woke up to hear it rebooting its self. Don't know for how long it did that.

Booted up with an PE disk and reenamed sptd.sys .

System came back.

Nothing new has been installed and no new games
          windows updated some time last week after many reboots.

so ...?

Comment

Well I already posted in another thread about my problem and tought I would add something here aswell.

My problem is also hang just before login screen apears. And the wierd thing is it does not hang always. As far as I know a combination of thing causes this. Either spdt or dtscsi.sys, RAID (namely nvraid) and probably something else. I managed to fix it a few times but it would come back after a while. What had an effect was drives connected to PATA ports, sptd loaded, dtscsi loaded (or when it was loaded),... I don't remember all of it.
            I've been at this for a while so I can tell you what doesn't work. This i what I tried so far:

1. BIOS update
            2. HD firmware update
            3. all the posible driver versions you can think of
            4. changing the order of driver loading (this had some nice effects ). It actually worked for a while when I set the dtscsi to start after login but unfortunately you can't set sptd to start later than SERVICE_BOOT_START and DON'T TRY IT. It's not good for your registry
            5. CMOS clear (nvidia suggestion after BIOS update)
            6. disconnected every drive except the system RAID 0 array
            7. removed StarForce drivers

I can't remebmer what I tried last but I got it as far as having all drives connected and now every time I turn on my computer after it has been off for a while it hangs on first boot, then after a quick power off and reastart it boots.

What I haven't tried:
            1. Moving the system to a non RAID drive.
            2. disabling NCQ in the system since my drives don't support it.
            3. kicking the crap out of the box!

Good luck to you all!

System specification:

Giga-byte K8NF-9 Ultra (nForce 4 Ultra)
            AMD nForce drivers 6.70
            AMD 64 3500+
            2x SATA WD2500KS in SATA RAID 0 (system)
            2x PATA WD1200JB in PATA RAID 0
            CD drive, DVD-RW drive
            no Antivirus or Spyware
            Clean WinXP Pro SP2 fully updated!
            Last edited by norc; 22.02.2006, 15:03.

Comment

Help!!!

when i got the game Starwars: empire at war
              it didn't work because of starforce.
              my friend got it up and running after a while and he told me to get the newest DT (DT4 i think...)
              when i was downloading it i thought i should uninstall the old DT. but when i did i got my first bluescreen EVER! (in win xp i meen).
              i have an original XP home with all updates.
              when i started the comp again DT was still there but i couldn't use it. i tried to install/upgrade to DT4 but i got bluescreen again.
              so i installed the old DT 3.20.
              then i upgraded to DT4 nad when the installation was complete it wanted to reboot the comp, so i did.
              when the comp started again the installation got an error (i can't remember the error...sorry) and the installation aborted.
              i think DT is gone from my comp, but i can't install the new DT4...
              i get the question if i want to install SPTD and i click ok, and i get an error "Failed to open config key"
              and i get the same error when trying to install the SPTD file...

i have:
              alcohol 120%
              winoncd
              clone DVD
              MCAFFE virusscan and firewall
              alot of games :P (newest games: SW:empire at war, sniper elite, GUN...

PLEASE help, i can't go on without DAEMON-tools!!!!

Comment

A little progress perhaps?

Hey everyone,

I've had this annoying problem too of not being able to get into windows blah blah blah. I got a little further than most though:

When I got into safe mode (pressing ESC when loading SPDT.sys), instead of deleting/renaming SPDT.sys, I deleted dtscsi.sys (mine was actually named 1dtsci.sys to get past Serious Sam 2/SecurRom 7 protection)
                Restarted computer - worked fine (except it took forever to load up in comparasion to not having SPDT.sys/dtscsi.sys loading)

Reinstalled Daemon-Tools, restarted. Worked fine.

Now my problem is I start up Daemon Tools and Windows tells me that "The 'scsi/raid host controller' device can now be safely removed from the system." and Daemon Tools complains "Unable to add adapter. Device problem 39."

Could windows be blocking daemon tools from working?
                Does the above help anyone else out, or are they stuck with the same problem as me?

Comment

Exact moment sptd.sys started to not work

at least for my system.

System worked fine - with everything including CureRom and SW:EaW and any Starforce and other thing.

Change done: Updated Firmware of LG 4040B DVDburner (from A103 to A112)

Systemreboot - hang on sptd.sys

Tried a lot of stuff proposed here, including nforce nativethingie disabling (from other thread) - nothing helped.

murx

Comment

Similar boot problems

I have been having the same boot problems that other people have (hanging permanently) described except that escaping out of the loading of sptd.sys doesn't seem to help. I've looked around in the forums for other solutions and tried any number of things but it keeps coming back to this.

Had alcohol
                    I upgraded to DT 4.0 and installed CureRom
                    Kaspersky anti-virus

The really odd thing is that I went to reformat and reinstall windows but my harddrive doesn't even show up in the list. I have checked connections and such and verified that it is still there and no little computer gnome has run off with it. Any assistance would be appreciated as I am clueless at this point.
                    Thanks.
                    -Josh

Comment

I had the exact same problem black screen of death at windows boot.
                      Iam resonably sure that CureRom was the guilty party.
                      I was able to fix the thing by loading a system restore point from before i installed CureRom about 2 weeks ago. I think it somehow did not undo the things it did after using it.
                      A similar problem occured for me way back with 3.47 and antiblaxx. Unfortunately i had system restore disabled back then and i had to reinstall windows to get DT working again.

PS: I was unable to deinstall DT both times because of an "The installation could not be validated" error. Maybe if this check would be removed and the uninstaller would just uninstall away everything he finds the problem could be removed as well.

Comment

easy

it think you must install deamon tolls inn order like you got DT 3.20 you must install 3.47 first then 4.00 and 4.03

it's like battefield 2 (but in DT you don't need to install the first patch)
                        3.2ghz. xpPRO sp2.1gb ram. asus gforce 6600gt 128mb.

Comment

well I had problems after repair install of xp pro

I figured out what was wrong.apparently if SPTD.SYS is still in system32/drivers folder you get the error "failed to oped config key" (Repair install will remove that key by default because it will think its a tape backup driver and fail to install it) now if the SPTD installer would just ovewright the SPTD.SYS by default then it would work fine anyways if you get "failed to oped config key" (spelling bug too) then rename SPTD.SYS(SPTD.S_S) reboot and try installing again and it should install fine

Comment

hmn, maybe I can add something:

just had a clean format and reinstall of XP pro a few days ago (with SP2), and installed alcohol (1.9.5 3105) and dameon tools 4.03. Then after one or two resboots (not installing anything "big", only stuff like firefox etc, no games or alike) I had the very problem you've all been describing, but in safe mode cancelled loading of Vax347b.sys, which seems to be some Alcohol thing like the SPTD, and then disabled it in my device manager where it was called "Plug and Play BIOS extension". Alcohol emulation now doesn't work anymore, fortunately daemon tools still does. But it was the exact same kind of problem with not getting past the xp loading screen and stuff.

maybe this can somehow help..

Comment

search function had this thread first, but it looks like there are some more. hopefully this is the right one.
                              some more facts, i hope some useful.
                              i was using newest daemon v3 version. it worked good for me, i dont need to emulate this protections things. so i was happy with it. until, im using daemon tools on a notebook and tried to go stand-by as alway. windows freezed, after 10 minutes while windows told me "going stand-by" i pressed to power off button. restart, windows freezed while booting. reboot in safe mode, windows asked me to skip d347.sys. in the second try, i skipped it, cause if not skipped, system freezed. i renamed then this old .sys and windows booted normaly (do you ever noticed that it is impossible to deinstall daemon tools in safe mode? v3 tells me cant run windows installer in safe mode, version 4 tells me no daemon tools detected while in safe mode).
                              im quite sure what the problem is: i mounted .img from an external device and just unplugged the external hdd. daemon tools just think its there. if you accidently access the drive before unmounting, explorer.exe freezes and you have to unmount the device to continue normal working. this was normaly possible, but this one day, windows always wanted to access this image and freezed the daemon tools icon. but the external device isnt there, so it doesnt work.
                              ok, i didnt had any chance to unmount this file, because always i renamed the sys file to work again, the system freezed.
                              i updated to version 4 then (and hoped this thing wont happen again). but it was eben more evil . as always, i had mounted an img from an external device, forgot to unmount the img and unplugged the device. now with daemon tools v4, windows thought the drive is still in use, i got write/read errors. and had no chance to tell windows the drive isnt there anymore. daemon tools told me 20 mins "working" (with no result) if i tried to unmount the image. so i had no chance to unmount it again
                              i reboted then and the same problem, normal bot freezes, in safe boot i have to skip the sptd.sys to boot. rename all .sys files and windows boots normal again. but now i dont have any working daemon tools anymore.

so it would be helpfull if in future versions is any way to implement a function which tests if the image is still there if daemon tools tryes to access/mount it.
                              or add a small ini file in which you can manually edit the mounted images.

and please tell me where daemon tools (version 4 and 3 if possible, i really want to continue using v3) stores which images are in use/mounted. i didnt found something good in the registry.

if im writing stupid things which are already posted in the forum, please point me to the thread, or if daeom tools has some options to prevent this tries to access removed devices, tell me and slap me

--reh--

Comment

sptd.sys fix (hopefully)

After tinkering around with ideas in the forums and having no success, I just started messing around. After a (long) while, I figured out a way to fix the problem, and would like to see if it is successful for anyone else.

SPTD FIX:

http://www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm

That links to a short page I made with steps to address the problem.

Hope this works

Comment

Working...
                                X