Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Lef
    Hello everybody

I had used DAEMON TOOLS for 2 years now. When I installed it last month the Windows freezing problem accured. The only difference from the other posts that I have read is that my laptop boots up to the desktop. My laptop freezes when the DAEMON manager icon gets visible. My CPU usage goos to 100 % and I can almost do nothing anymore.

Here some of the things I tried:
    uninstall DAEMON in safe mode
    delete sptd.sys and dtscsi.sys file
    delete all register entries of sptd.
    disabled the minidump service
    reinstalled sptd
    reinstalled DAEMON
    start DAEMON for the first time in safe mode
    start DAEMON for the first time in normal mode.
    renamed scsiport.sys
    disabled the SCSI/RAID driver and reanabled it.
    searching the whole internet (almost) and tryed everything

I did this things in different order and tried every combination. also the fix of 0600Zulu, but it all had no result. Can someone tell me something I did fergot or email me? Please help!

Greetings
    (sorry for the bad English)

I have also the same problem with boot, i have tried everything ob nothing works!

Comment

Originally Posted by floogy
      Hi,

I got issues with daemontools 4.03 x64 , too.
      Finally I managed it to work.
      I didn't had STOP errors or BSOD's.
      I simply wasn't able to reinstall/upgrade/repair a broken DT installation. An WinXP upgrade from eval to retail x64 edition was the cause of the messed install.

Please read here the related threads:
      Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12.

SCSI/RAID Probleme mit DT 4.03 nach WinXP upgrade x64 eval -> x64 retail (Sorry German, but with a lot of related screenshots):

I managed it this way, slightly different to http://www.kkaf.net/sptdfix.htm:

Download SPDTinst(xARCH).exe from the download section where ARCH is either 86 or 64, depends on your OS.
      1. Completely remove Daemon Tools and sptd associations:

* Uninstall Daemon Tools
        * Reboot into safe mode, press ESC when message sth. like "To interrupt load of SPDT.SYS Press ESC" appears.
        * login as a user with root privilege
        * Say YES to the popup message, to confirm that you want to work in safe mode.
        * In Start > Run type cmd and press ok.
        * with cd path_where_SPDTinst(xARCH).exe_is_stored change to that directory.
        * Type SPDTinst(xARCH).exe remove and follow the instructions
        * Reboot into safe mode again and type into start > run regedit. Search for all spdt.sys "Daemon Tools" and dtscsi.sys entries and delete all of them. You may not be able to delete all entries. If that happens delete as much of the affected tree as you can do. This may happen twice to spdt.
        * Start (Win+E) Explorer and go to %systemroot%\system32\drivers . Find spdt.sys and rename it to spdt.s_s. Find also dtscsi.sys and rename it to dtscsi.s_s.

2. * Reboot into safe mode and install spdt.sys with SPDTinst(xARCH).exe add. Follow the instructions.

3. * Reboot into normal mode and install Daemontools (I changed the installpath from c:\Program Files (86)\Daemon Tools to c:\Program Files\Daemon Tools).
        I think this is one of the most important part:
        UNCHECK "Start Daemontools"!

4. * Reboot into SAFE mode, DON'T press ESC when SPDT.SYS message appears!
        * Start Daemontools in safe mode manually:
        Start > Programs > Daemon Tools > Daemon Tools
        * The daemontools tray icon appears, and daemontools are running, without the popping "Found new hardware Wizard"!!

5. * Reboot into normal mode. voilа!!

Sorry for the over detailed number 1.

Before that I tried everything else, but nothing helped.
      • At least it was NOT neccessary to rename sptdxxxx.sys (which is not a driver by DTcc) or scsiport.sys (by M$).
      • And it was NOT necessary to Disable/Reenable SCSI/RAID Host Controllers (eg. sil3114)!
      • It was not necessary to control the yellow exclamation mark in the device manager.

I think the most important parts in short are
      1. Uninstall daemontools and spdt with the uninstall tools. Then search and replace the registry to get completely rid of wrecked dt.
      2. Search and rename spdt.sys and dtscsi.sys in safemode without spdt.sys loaded. Reboot into safe mode.
      3. (Re)Install spdt in safe mode.
      4. Start in normal mode and install daemontools WITHOUT start dt after installation. UNCHECK "start dt now"!
      5. Start daemontools in safe mode.
      6. Reboot

I hope this adresses also the BSOD and Stop errors.

I think one should be able to figure out which tasks of the steps above we could drop.

regards

Floogy
      Did exactly as stated.
      STILL getting install "iviVD.sys.
      Daemon Tools works fine and all virtual drives work, just getting tired of cancelling the driver install. Daemon Tools 4.0 worked just fine.
      4.03 is a major hiccup!!!!!

Comment

Windows update?

Can a windows update cause this problem?

Comment

Originally Posted by Lef
          Can a windows update cause this problem?
          yes it was a windows problem

I found the answer for my case after hours of testing. After the restart i completed the installation but didn`t run daemon first I had to remove this in the registry :

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
          2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
          3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
          4. On the File menu, click Export.
          5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
          6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

After that I started daemon tools and works lika a charm.

Comment

This is a new fix that i've not seen before. Only it doos'nt work for me. I don't have the uppercasefilters entrie only the lowercasefilters. I deleted that one and then started DAEMON and my system freezes.
            To bad

Comment

try to delete everything in that folder before starting daemon,at my frends laptop that helped

Comment

Do you mean to delete the whole class where the entries upperfilters and lowerfilters are?

Comment

Here is a picture delete all that and then it must work i gurentee

Comment

Fix

Ok after doing everything and after a few posts on the forum I saw a reply to delete everything from the class 4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 from the registery. So here is the fix:

1 Install DAEMON Tools normally but don't start daemon.
                    2 Go to start -> run and type regedit
                    3 When you are in regedit you can click on search int he menu edit.
                    4 search for "4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318"
                    5 When you find this delete everything in that class but don't delete the class itself! (the class must have the axact same name as stated above!)
                    6 When you've done this, you can start DAEMON and your pc will not freez up

Thanx to AALY

Comment

Originally Posted by Lef
                      Ok after doing everything and after a few posts on the forum I saw a reply to delete everything from the class 4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 from the registery. So here is the fix:

1 Install DAEMON Tools normally but don't start daemon.
                      2 Go to start -> run and type regedit
                      3 When you are in regedit you can click on search int he menu edit.
                      4 search for "4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318"
                      5 When you find this delete everything in that class but don't delete the class itself! (the class must have the axact same name as stated above!)
                      6 When you've done this, you can start DAEMON and your pc will not freez up

Thanx to AALY
                      Im fairly sure this is a solution to a different problem to that described by the thread opener. The main problem discussed here, which i also have, is that after the SPTD driver is installed (which then requires a reboot before DT is installed) the system doesnt boot anymore. Getting as far as installing the actual app isnt even possible.
                      Initially, after updating from a previous dt version (347) everything worked fine, no problems with th sptd driver. Since the install a couple of weeks ago (no reboots in that time) i have installed Elder Scrolls: Oblivion game, and nvidia 84.21 forceware drivers (with the reboot pending). PC crashed playing elder scrolls today and goes into the aforementioned lock (after XP boot screen, and before logon). Fixed it by renaming stpd.sys (just that file), but no amount of re-installing, uninstalling etc of d-tools will let me boot with the SPTD driver now.

Running:
                      XP SP2 (32bit, single processor)
                      no av
                      no sw firewall
                      KT800pro onboard sata raid
                      Nero V6
                      No starforce

Any suggestions for making d-tools work for me again?

Comment

Hello there
                        If you uninstall daemon tools and sptd and delete all the entries from the registery that will come up when you search for sptd, you can reboot normally. When you install d tools again you must do a reboot for sptd. When I am not wrong you can normally boot after that and the installation will continue. At the end of the installation uncheck run Daemon tools and finish the installation. After that delete the entries from the reg class mentioned above and then start d tools. I think this will work. At least it did that for me and i also could not boot with sptd in place and d tools installed

Sorry again for my bad english

Comment

Hang-up on boot

I have the hang-up on boot problem as well and removing sptd.sys etc. seems to be the only real solution = no DT.
                          Since most people have been using DT regularly on a variety of different machines before, this particular problem seems to be related to "new" technology. Specifically I'd guess the problem is related to new hard drive arrays, such as RAIDs and SATAs, or incompatibility between DT and drive controllers on newer systems.
                          So, has anyone encountered this problem on "older" systems, with IDE drives and older mobos? I don't think this issue is related to Windows or any updates as I've used DT myself on XP with SP2 on other systems before.

Comment

What fixed it for me was to reinstall Microsofts default
                            IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

I hope this help any of you.

ps i had the nvidia drivers before

edit: seems this did not help although i could boot into windows once
                            Last edited by flippz; 10.04.2006, 18:03.

Comment

Tried all the suggestions so far, always get to the same point, re-install sptd, reboot, no login screen. I've gone back to d-tools 347 without the sptd for now, but a fix would be really nice.

Comment

Welcome screen hangup

Well, I've been working on solving this problem for a couple weeks and have had no luck. For the longest time I couldn't even access my harddrive until I got an ntfs for dos disk which allowed me to access and alter files on my harddrive. I proceeded to rename sptd.sys and all the other sys files that were suggested and tried restarting and it still hangs (in safe or normal) and it still hangs every time.

I decided to bite the bullet and reformat and reinstall but no harddrives showed up (even though I could find them in ntfs dos but not through recovery). After a few seconds a BSOD popped up as well. I tried buying a new harddrive (thinking the old one was fried) and the windows installer won't recognize that and BSOD again.

Any help would be appreciated as right now my laptop is just a very expensive paperweight.

Thanks.

-Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X