Virtual Floppy with error emulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Floppy with error emulation

Hi, I'm writing this in off-topic to make sure no one gets upset about posting in the wrong section.

I've read that many people would like to have a virtual floppy. maybe this is of interest to some of them, so here it is:

I had to copy a so-called key disc for some program but it seemed impossible as there were lots of read errors on that floppy disc. I experimented a bit and found a solution. Don't laugh, but I copied the disc without read errors. It did not work and I got really really mad. I was so furious that I burned a hole into the disc with a cigarette. When I had calmed down again I tried that disc with the hole in it. It worked! I tried again and again with other floppy discs and I was successful in 4 out of five tries. Reencouraged I started to think about a smoother solution.

I then googled for a virtual floppy driver and found a free one with source code included. But that did not quite suit my needs as it did not emulate read errors. I added that feature to the source code, compiled and now it works. You can even run the driver from command line every time you need it.

Anyone interested?
    Mounty Bob strikes back

That does sound interesting!
    Which virtual floppy driver did you use?
    And could we get your code?

Comment

Well, yes of course. But not now as I'm at still at work. More info tonite.
      Mounty Bob strikes back

Comment

Virtual Floppy with error emulation

Hello CongoMan,

I am looking for such a virtual floppy driver with error emaulation. You wrote (two years ago) that you will write more information but I did not see any.

Can you tell me which software you have modified?
        Would you share your changes?

Bodo

Comment

Working...
        X