Problem running Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (Securom) from original CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem running Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (Securom) from original CD

I am having problems with Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, which according to Copy Discovery 2000 uses SecuROM 4.82.01.007.

My mother-in-law brought a licensed original disk of the game that she had been using in her computer and we installed it in my sons computer (Win98) from the CD drive (Drive D) and it worked fine, so the computer can support the game.

She took the game home, but for Christmas, she bought a second copy and gave that to my son.

I had since changed the CD drive assignments to Drive H using Letter Assigner.

I put the new copy in and uninstalled the previous version and installed the new one, and it looked like it worked, but when I click the icon, the hourglass shows up and then nothing else happens (goes away after a couple of seconds). I successfully installed the game on my WinXP computer and it works there, so it is not the new CD that is defective.

I tried going through the registry and deleting all references to RTC2 or Infogrames.

I tried installing a new Adaptec 4.71.2 (?) ASPI layer.

I tried setting the CD drive back to D and uninstalling and re-installing (needs to be H so I can use D or E for a Monopoly game using Daemon Tools, but I am not using Daemon Tools with this game (and no virtual drive is present - I load and unload the virtual drive for Monopoly from a batch file).

The CD drive is an old Sony CDU5211 CD-Rom (no burner) Firmware Version YYS7. (I did not check for a firmware update but the drive worked with the previous version of the game, so I doubt that is the problem).

I suspect there is some file from the previous installation that checked for the first CD being valid and is not recognizing the new CD, but (short of wiping the HD and re-installing Windows), I dont know how to get a clean slate that will allow it to install.

Again, I am using official game CDs from the retail box directly from the CD drive and am not trying to copy them or use Daemon Tools with them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you treid the support contacts for the publisher/developer? If the original disc doesn't work, then I'd check with them first for a possible solution. Maybe someone here will have a suggestion, but I'd suggest covering all your bases.

Comment

The developer is now Atari (they bought out Infogrames) - I e-mailed their support and got a case number, but there were posts in their forums of similar issues and Atari and Securom admitting the problems were on their end, but no resolution, so I thought I would ask here.

BTW, the CD works - it is not defective - it just doesn't install on the machine that I previously installed another genuine CD on.

Comment

Working...
      X