Drivers on Windows Vista x64 will require to be signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers on Windows Vista x64 will require to be signed

For Windows Vista and later versions of the Windows family of operating systems, kernel-mode software must have a digital signature to load on x64-based computer systems.

What this means for Windows Vista.
    -Unsigned kernel-mode software will not load and will not run on x64-based systems.
    Note: Even users with administrator privileges cannot load unsigned kernel-mode code on x64-based systems. This applies for any software module that loads in kernel mode, including device drivers, filter drivers, and kernel services.

What this means for software publishers. For vendors who publish kernel-mode software, this policy has the following effects:
    For any kernel-mode component that is not already signed, publishers must obtain and use a PIC to sign all 64-bit kernel-mode software that will run on x64-based systems running Windows Vista. This includes kernel-mode services software.

So is this gonna stop daemon tools from running on Vista x64? Afterall, it does need some sort of driver to emulate cd/dvd-rom drives. And I don't think Microsoft is going to sign drivers that allow images to be mounted, not to mention the costs of getting a certificate for signing.

EDIT: sorry for submitting this twice, I thought something went wrong when posting, but I didn't notice this board is moderated.
    Last edited by Amotea; 24.01.2006, 11:55.

so thats kinda shitty. but i think there will be a workaround like in all M$ based stuff
    and what about the x86 Vista?! will it be the same?

PS: Vista is shit. i dont think im gonna buy it...
    My sysProfile!

Comment

@LooDos:

That is the strange thing... seems to be for x64 only... Although I so don't see the sense behind it

@all:
      There is something like this thread at the customer forum too...

A QUOTE from there:
      Originally Posted by Andareed
      To build on what mwb1100 said, the reason MS is doing this is to identify kernel-mode code with an actual commercial entity. This way they can stop many rootkits from being installed and also prevent their (and others) DRM from being hacked. Basically, you need to be a financially stable, commercial entity to qualify. I'm reasonably certain that we would qualify.

Comment

Won´t work because everybody has rights to use what he want on his own maschine. Windows is only the Portal for it.

i dont think that will affect the Next generations of Windows Family.
        You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
        sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

what do u mean mystique?! dt4 or future releases wont work on vista x64?
          My sysProfile!

Comment

no, i mean that this singed driver shit will no affect windows because everybody has the right to use what he wants on his maschine and when i want to use a unsigned driver then i will do, without permission of Microsoft.
            You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
            sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

You'd still have to bypass the protection though...

Comment

yeah. u wont be able to use unsigned drivers like in Win XP. u have to use the signed ones...
                SAD but TRUE
                My sysProfile!

Comment

a new computer,a new windows.the futere is coming lady's en gentilmen,it's the futere.
                  But in the computerlangue,it's sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by Mystique
                    no, i mean that this singed driver shit will no affect windows because everybody has the right to use what he wants on his maschine and when i want to use a unsigned driver then i will do, without permission of Microsoft.
                    If the system does not allow you to install an unsigned driver (which is what Microsoft currently wants to implement in Windows Vista x64 (64Bit)) you cannot install an unsigned driver (if you don't deactivate this mechanism somehow - e.g. by replacing some Windows files, a.s.o. - although I don't think that this is then completely legal anymore)...

Comment

it might be legal but some kind of dangerous if u repplace the wrong files
                      My sysProfile!

Comment

depends on the country if it is legal
                        But it indeed is dangerous but if developers get - let's say a patch or something like this - to let unsigned drivers load, I believe that people will be able to get this program from somewhere over the internet then too...

Comment

it is for sure legal. At least legal in every country I know,
                          as you are owner of the machine. It is also not a "protection"
                          in the meaning of copyright, moreover a protection to prevent
                          malicious programs to install "rootkits". So here is no such thing
                          as DMCA violation, not even close to it.

On the long run, it could produce some trouble for m$.
                          We should wait and see how the final build will look like, the
                          more restrictions they implement (especially if they are total
                          nonsense) the more the new vista will sell much lower and
                          people stay as long as it gets on XP.

Problems could be exist for the people that create possibilities
                          to bypass that check, but the "consumer" has every right to
                          modify his machine, this include the OS, too.

Comment

Well ok... I am not sure with the legal things in this case (I mean if you need to modify binary data like .dlls a.s.o. - although I don't know if this would be needed to bypass this protection)...

So probably you are right and that is allowed...

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg
                            but the "consumer" has every right to
                            modify his machine, this include the OS, too.
                            At least currently
                            Who knows... this might change in the future - I mean if I look at the current laws, we are on the best way to it...
                            Last edited by ghost_zero; 26.01.2006, 14:52.

Comment

I just come back from Vista RD (Rapid Deployment) meeting in seattle.

The following was about Windows Domains (Active Directory) but maybe it could apply to standalone computer :

They told us it would be possible to administrator to sign drivers, and can configure group policy to allow users to install signed drivers without requiring special permissions.

So maybe we will get a tool to sign our drivers

Wait & See

Comment

Working...
                              X