Civilization 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization 4

Anyone had any luck with Civ4? Created images using the newest Blindwrite this morning, and managed to install from the images (2 discs), but running the game produces an error asking to insert the correct CD-ROM. There's a note on the firaxis website that mentions that the correct disc is disc 1, not 2, but that didn't seem to help... Tried safedisc emulation on or off, installed from the same drive letter I'm trying to run the game CD from, and even tried changing the dtools CD drive to the first CD-ROM letter. Nothing seems to help... Am I missing something? CivIII was much easier

Yeah all you have to do for now till DT 4 comes out is to use safedisk4 hider (sd4hider.exe) . Run it and then run Civ4 and it should work fine.

hxxp://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_8.shtml#SafeDisc%204%20Hider
    (change hxxp to http)
    Last edited by Xristaki; 29.10.2005, 09:53.

Comment

Okay I need some advice here...

I made a full image of the Civilization 4 play disc (using Alcohol 120) and mounted it with Daemon Tools. I also used the SD4Hide utility to hide Daemon Tools from the SafeDisc 4.6 blacklisting. However, I still get a message saying I need to insert the correct disc to play the game. Any ideas what could be going on? Is it possible I made an error in creating the image?

Comment

When i run the sd4k, i press hide when civ 4 is mounted, click to play civ 4, then it gets past the auto start screen, doesnt pop up asking for DVD, yet it comes up with a error report thing saying civ 4 has to shut down, please send a error report to microsoft.
        Last edited by NetSoerfer; 31.10.2005, 21:38.

Comment

Don't talk about cracks/warez in here, dammit! Consider yourself warned once and for all, next time you'll be banned. You agreed to the rules, now stick to them!
          "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

I'm not sure how I am talking about warez/cracks. I bought this game on Friday to play on my laptop and I don't want to have to keep the cd drive in my laptop the whole time. Or were you talking to the other guy?

Comment

I was talking to TNTIcemanTNT.
              "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Movies not installed properly?

OK, so I finally managed to find sd4hide, and everything loads up fine. It gets to a point (after changing screen resolutions), I get an error message that my movies aren't installed properly... Any ideas?

Comment

That may be a codec problem...
                  If you use your original CD/DVD, will the movies play?
                  Carpe diem

Comment

Originally Posted by rek075
                    Okay I need some advice here...

I made a full image of the Civilization 4 play disc (using Alcohol 120) and mounted it with Daemon Tools. I also used the SD4Hide utility to hide Daemon Tools from the SafeDisc 4.6 blacklisting. However, I still get a message saying I need to insert the correct disc to play the game. Any ideas what could be going on? Is it possible I made an error in creating the image?
                    Sorry but I completely missed your specific post. I have tested this on all 3 of my home PC's using the method I stated in my earlier post and it has worked fine. I'm leaning more that it may in fact be the actual image you made. I would try making another one and see what happens. There might be a slight chance that this method doesn't work in the cd verion since I have the DVD version.

Some things to keep on mind:

Making a backup of Safedisk 4.6 might not work in certain drives.
                    Installing the game from the image and not the original has worked for certain cases.
                    Last edited by Xristaki; 01.11.2005, 09:59.

Comment

At first I had a lot of messages "emulation software detected" and nothing helped until I find out that he was refering to poor CloneDVD that btw have nothing to do with emulation .
                      Uninstalled it and it helped.

After that I had problem with Civ4 too "Insert CD" message .
                      I had a DVD image.

I did following things (not shure which one helped) but it solved

1. Uninstalled Civ4.
                      2. Removed Macrovision section in registry (LOCALMACHINE).
                      3. Renamed Alcohol 120% device from CD/DVD-ROM to DVD ROM.
                      4. Installed again.

Used Alcohol 120% 1.9.3.5.3105 for image and AntiBlaxx 1.18 to hide Alcohol.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kinlaadare
                        That may be a codec problem...
                        If you use your original CD/DVD, will the movies play?
                        Actually, the reason I'm using this is that the CD drive on the machine I want to play on is busted, so no luck there...
                        Seems I can avoid the problem by letting Civ load completely, without interupting the load sequence (eg pressing escape when the various intros play). Seems to load up OK then... but load times are very slow (ie I have to leave my machine for more than a few minutes). Is anyone else seeing this? Or is it simply my (old/underperforming/needs a rebuild) machine?
                        Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

You indeed should not press any buttons when it loads otherwise it have "strange effects" like minimizing and such , but load time not so long at least on my PC.

Comment

Originally Posted by Xristaki
                            Sorry but I completely missed your specific post. I have tested this on all 3 of my home PC's using the method I stated in my earlier post and it has worked fine. I'm leaning more that it may in fact be the actual image you made. I would try making another one and see what happens. There might be a slight chance that this method doesn't work in the cd verion since I have the DVD version.

Some things to keep on mind:

Making a backup of Safedisk 4.6 might not work in certain drives.
                            Installing the game from the image and not the original has worked for certain cases.
                            Okay, so it seems there are a few things that may be giving me problems:

-I have the cd version
                            -I installed the game from the original cds
                            -I made a full image of the game using the mini-image method... this could be incorrect?
                            -The burner I used to make the image might not work with Safedisk 4.6 (the burner is a LiteOn SOHW-832S)
                            Last edited by rek075; 01.11.2005, 20:11.

Comment

I dont know what SF hider does or if it works..... but this works for me in both quake4, Civ4 And Call Of duty 2.

deleting this string:
                              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi]

PS. make sure youґve backed it up before deleting.

Comment

Working...
                              X