• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution to the problem

Operating System: Windows 2000
    Burning Software: Nero 6
    Anti-virus Software: Grisoft / AVG
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Here is an answer to a question I couldn't find any correct answers anywhere.
    (Hopefully this will help the newbies as well as all other seniors that are allowed one mistake once and a while)

I was trying to open a few of my own .B5T (BlindWrite 5 Image File) today and could not get them to mount under Daemon Tools. I was constantly getting the following message :

"Unable to mount image. Unable to open file in kernel mode."

Some of my other .B5T would work, but some others would not. All my ISO/BIN/etc would also work fine. So that had to be something with the .B5T format.

Then I realized that those games that would not load anymore were actually working perfectly a few days ago.

After making new Images (still .B5T) from the original CDs and using them with success I quickly became suspicious.

To make a long story short, unlike some other File Formats (like .CCD or even .MDF I guess?) that just needs all the different files to be of the same name to be able to load them correctly, with BlindWrite the actual file name of the .B5I (the one containing the actual image) is kept within the .B5T file.

Thus if you rename your .B5T files after the images are created, you won't be able to mount it using DT. (I'm guessing Burning them back to CDs using BlindWrite 5 software would also fail).

If this happens to you, you can then easily open the .B5T into any text editor to figure out what was the original file name and then restore it.

In fact, in that .B5T file, the filename is kept but also the full path to where the file was originally saved is also kept (for what purpose???)

Anyway, I could not find any help on this error message so I just wanted to write my discovery somewhere so it will not be lost when I go away.

Hope this helps.
    reptileqc

Same error message - different problem maybe?

Operating System: XP Pro
    Burning Software: Nero, Blindwrite
    Anti-virus Software: Norton
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.72

Hmmm, I'm having the same problem, but when I open the file in a text editor, there is no filename/path that I can see. But I do get that same error message. What did you use to open it up?

Comment

Re: Same error message - different problem maybe?

I'm using UltraEdit 32 but I'm sure any good text editor with hex support would work fine.

First make sure you are looking at the right file. It should be the one with the .B5T extension. (I guess I'm also assuming you're using BlindWrite 5 as I don't know if the file structure is the same for BlindWrite 4 and earlier)

When opened, the file starts with "BWT5 STREAM SIG"

The filename and path are probably encoded in Unicode so it uses 2 bytes of storage. So when you look at the opened file in HEX, every second character is what will eventually make up your filename and path.

From what I can see from multiple .B5T files I have, here is an overview of the file structure :

0x0000h -> File Identification ("BWT5 STREAM SIG" in this case)
      0x00a0h -> Info on Optical Drive used to build the image
      0x00d0h -> Original Disc Label
      0x014eh -> Path to where the image was originally saved
      0x01ceh -> Original File Name of the .B5I

If you can't see any readable character where the original filenames and paths should be, maybe this is because the original filenames and paths were saved in a foreign language (Korean, Chinese, Japanese, etc) and it was later renamed in English. Thus making the file unusable.

I guess we should work on a tool that will enable anybody to "fix" a broken image by going into the .B5T file and replace the old filename by the new one. Actually i'm quite surprised that I was not able to find such a solution on BlindWrite's own support site.

Let me know if that works.
      reptileqc

Comment

Okay, that took care of the problem - thanks for figuring this out. I'd checked out the .b5t file earlier but somehow missed that string. I blame spending too many god damn hours trying to fix this friggin problem.

Comment

Mhm, bad thread title, but whatsoever...
          Does anyone know a tool or way how to rename Blindwrite files?
          I'm looking for this for months now

Comment

Working...
          X